Author Topic: TR Another Jack's Rake report  (Read 9822 times)

swampy

• Veteran Member
TR Another Jack's Rake report
« on: 20:09:37, 03/07/11 »
I have been wobbling over this one for ages (no pun intended) and the day finally arrived for me to see if I could control my fear of heights.  :-\
Me and Yeti set off mega early (4.30 in the am) and picked up hungover mate on the way. I wasn't nervous at this point, just half asleep.

About half an hour away AJ passed us so we decided to follow him shouting 'nee nor nee nor' out the window but he wasn't fooled. Guess Who joined the party and soon after we arrived at Sickle Barn car park.

After everyone had arrived and exchanged pleasantries it was time for the off.  Weather was good, dry but not too warm, perfect for scrambling, eek! Still not nervous though.

It was a good walk up with a few breathers and laughs on the way. At this point our good bud Daz was feeling the effects from the night before and decided to go back down and set up his bivi and have a puke and kip (who knows in what order). But I think he missed out on a corking day. :(

It wasn't long before the big fella came into full view, Jack's Rake. WOW! what a sight :o  Ok starting to feel a bit nervous now but after seeing AJ in shorts I knew no fear.  I could have gone with Dibble and troup on an alternative route but I had psyched myself up for the rake and was determined to do it.
After refreshments the group split and Yeti asked me what I was going to do. Without hesitation I said, 'The rake'.  AJ said, 'I'll give you a tenner if you do it'
       'You're on!' I replied.
Sense of achievement and a tenner, the deal was struck! O0
Off we went.  Humper Lumper turned round to see me with the rake gang and was surprised to see me there. The look on his face was one of worry.
We reached the bottom of the rake and I must admit my bowels were griping a bit. Ok scared now but still determined.
People started to climb one by one and it got to my turn and I went for it. 
Not too bad at first, the thought was worse than the doing.  And I took my time and tried not to worry about slowing people up. Sorry if I did but I needed to feel safe. There were a few places that were tricky but Yeti was there to help me up(a few head up butt moments) Thankfully there are no pics of my most undignified poses. We stopped for a few breathers and for me to focus and get my head around the shear terror I was feeling. The final part was the bit I really struggled with as we were quite exposed and there were no foot holds. I had to stop in mid splay as I could feel panic setting in. Ok I had to carry on, it was the last bit and AJ was only giving me £8.50 at this point and I didn't have any change. With the help of Brandywell, AJ and Yeti I made it!!!  Hope I didn't spoil it too much for you guys. Can't thank you enough. Top geezers! O0

Feeling highly elated and amazed by the view we joined the others for a bite to eat after the certificate presentation.
I am still buzzing about doing it.  :D

But the day didn't stop there, we carried on to do a cracking walk onto Thunacar Knott, Langdale Pikes and Stake Pass, and then joining the Cumbria Way through Langdale Fell taking in some spectacular scenery.  The views were amazing and this was my first trip to the Lake District. I shall most definately be returning. The company also made this day special. What a fantastic bunch of people there is on this forum! O0

« Last Edit: 21:28:47, 03/07/11 by swampy »
In it for the socials

swampy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Another Jack's Rake report
« Reply #1 on: 20:11:33, 03/07/11 »
A few piccies
In it for the socials

swampy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:13:33, 03/07/11 »
and a few more with a triple brucie!!!
In it for the socials

swampy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:15:20, 03/07/11 »
and some more
In it for the socials

Cheviot Stroller

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:18:05, 03/07/11 »
Woohoo swampy - well done  O0   Nice TR and photos too  :)
Work to live, live to walk

http://ramblingnana.blogspot.co.uk/

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: 20:20:36, 03/07/11 »
Brilliant Swampy, that must have taken a long time to do that. Well done and thanks
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:29:50, 03/07/11 »
She showed no hesistation at all about doing it. I was surprised with her decision, but felt she would be ok doing it. My biggest fear was if she had frozen whilst on the rake. I had taken precautions just in case (rope, harness, etc). The only point which she got stuck really was near the top with one difficult bit. Found herself pulling up onto a rock on her belly. I knew that would be hard for her to get to her knees. A safe feeling laying flat when the drop is severe next to you, not a mobile position though. Brandywell helped from the top lending a hand and me below. After a bit of thought I knew the only way to push her up was to get her knees under her to make her ready for clambering the next bit. Wayhey it worked well. An amazing achievement for Swampy and in good time also O0 .
R.I.P. Dave.

HumperLumper

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:56:35, 03/07/11 »
Well done swampy  :) , sorry about looking at you in a state of shock  :o , on our next danderous act i will try and show more encouragement  ;D
What about Crib Goch then? What certificate do you want for doing that?

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:58:06, 03/07/11 »
Well done swampy  :) , sorry about looking at you in a state of shock  :o , on our next danderous act i will try and show more encouragement  ;D
Her actual reply sounded like foff (little cough). ;D
R.I.P. Dave.

swampy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:33:56, 03/07/11 »
Cheers tha noz! Don't worry about it, I'm not surprised you looked shocked after how I was at the howgills meet.
Crib Goch....hmmmm...not sure yet, depends on the certificate. ;D
In it for the socials

HumperLumper

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:37:48, 03/07/11 »
Crib Goch....hmmmm...
That doesn't sound like "foff (little cough)

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #11 on: 21:39:46, 03/07/11 »
Brilliant Swampy, that must have taken a long time to do that. Well done and thanks

I meant the trip report Yeti  ;D ;D  Not the scramble
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

HumperLumper

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:40:53, 03/07/11 »

;D

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:42:29, 03/07/11 »
Cheers tha noz! Don't worry about it, I'm not surprised you looked shocked after how I was at the howgills meet.
Crib Goch....hmmmm...not sure yet, depends on the certificate. ;D
It ll be a 20 for that one. Signed by the Queen and with her head on.  O0
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:44:43, 03/07/11 »

I only put a comment because I was chuffed to bits with Swampy's progression and achievement. Not because of your comments matey. I just adding info for others as an onlooker. O0
R.I.P. Dave.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy