Author Topic: The Kentmere Horseshoe  (Read 9321 times)

Dalesman

Re: The Kentmere Horseshoe
« Reply #30 on: 12:46:28, 02/01/13 »
Do you think "if someone opens the gate and puts a couple of quid in the honesty box" everyone turns a blind eye? O0
Completed the 214 on 23/04/15

guess who

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 13:13:45, 02/01/13 »
Do you think "if someone opens the gate and puts a couple of quid in the honesty box" everyone turns a blind eye? O0

I have done this walk 4 times now. I have never seen the gate open, but if a did i am sure my eyes would be blind ;)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 13:29:16, 02/01/13 »
I have to say, i really dont remember the steep path your talking about April. From memory coming from Ill Bell to Froswick was a steep descent, but dont remember any kind of exposure on either side.

The path leaving north of the third cairn is quite exposed - perhaps you didn't use this path to descend or you may not have any fear of heights? The path is steep and loose with quite a drop to the right as you descend. I had a bit of a panic attack ascending this path last year!
Hate will never win

Dalesman

« Reply #33 on: 13:32:14, 02/01/13 »

The path leaving north of the third cairn is quite exposed - perhaps you didn't use this path to descend or you may not have any fear of heights? The path is steep and loose with quite a drop to the right as you descend. I had a bit of a panic attack ascending this path last year!
We just used the most direct path off the summit, i remember it being a steep up and down to Froswick, but my only feelings at the time were one of awe with the views! I think i know which bit you mean, perhaps i was to preoccupied to even notice. :)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 13:44:27, 02/01/13 »
Dalesman - you must be one of those lucky folk who are not that bothered by heights! I have got much better over time though. The first time I encountered the Ill Bell path (at the time it was only my second Wainwright) I wanted to vomit looking at the drop  :-[ . I've done the Kentmere Round five times and I have always avoided the direct path up or down Ill Bell until last year when I though I would give it a go. I wished I hadn't!
Hate will never win

Scarface

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 16:17:56, 02/01/13 »
Just done this and it is a belter, thanks for sharing. The 'cairn' on Shipman Knots needs addressing !

And yes get there early to park :-0
'You only get out what you put in...'

Dalesman

« Reply #36 on: 16:20:35, 02/01/13 »
Just done this and it is a belter, thanks for sharing. The 'cairn' on Shipman Knots needs addressing !

And yes get there early to park :-0

Agreed, about 4 stones on it when i was there!!

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 21:20:00, 02/01/13 »

The 'cairn' on Shipman Knots needs addressing !

maybe it could borrow one off Ill Bell?

Scarface

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 14:16:15, 03/01/13 »
Ive seen a big monument up there, Thornthwaite Crag or something, perhaps we could transport that across.   :D

Scarface

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 14:21:30, 03/01/13 »
Not brilliant pic but this is it.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 14:32:28, 03/01/13 »
Ive seen a big monument up there, Thornthwaite Crag or something, perhaps we could transport that across.   :D

You leave it where it is, I get lost easily enough without you moving round things I know!

Scarface

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 16:05:41, 03/01/13 »
Thats the one !!   ;D

Here we are at a slightly better monument.

olpoll

« Reply #42 on: 18:24:35, 03/01/13 »
Cracking report with loads of nice photos  O0
"Not all that wander are lost"

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 08:55:47, 04/01/13 »
We just used the most direct path off the summit, i remember it being a steep up and down to Froswick, but my only feelings at the time were one of awe with the views! I think i know which bit you mean, perhaps i was to preoccupied to even notice. :)

Here is a shot of Ill Bell taken from the path to Froswick. It shows the path traversing across the steep drop that some folk might not like! This path can be avoided though by veering right to reach the summit if you are coming from Froswick or veering to the left if you are descending on the way to Froswick from Ill Bell.

Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy