Author Topic: Looking for group or walking partner  (Read 2321 times)

Millsukg

Looking for group or walking partner
« on: 18:52:07, 04/01/21 »
hi everyone I’m 25 year old from West Midlands

I’ve been climbing wrekin over and over and carding mill valley

I’m looking to branch out and around the country but most my mates ain’t interested and just love pub and party scene

Let me know if I can jump in ur group or anyone is interested in going hikes around UK

Scarfell pike , Snowdon , Ben Nevis

Thanks

Jack

cornwallcoastpathdweller

Re: Looking for group or walking partner
« Reply #1 on: 20:35:12, 04/01/21 »

I’m looking to branch out and around the country but most my mates ain’t interested and just love pub and party scene

Must win the prize for poor timing this post Millsukg, same afternoon that we all end up stuck indoors again.

Let me know if I can jump in ur group or anyone is interested in going hikes around UK

Thanks

Jack
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #2 on: 20:36:09, 04/01/21 »

must win the prize for the most poorly timed post this one Millsukg, we're all stuck indoors again, grrr

Thanks

Jack

Millsukg

« Reply #3 on: 09:32:58, 05/01/21 »
What u mean pal ???

Pyramut

« Reply #4 on: 10:27:30, 05/01/21 »
What u mean pal ???

Hi Millsukg,I think they mean that unfortunately due to the lockdown announced last night, there won’t be any group walking happening any time soon, and you’ll only be allowed to exercise close to home (so no trips to the mountains)  :(  sounds like it’s lasting until end of February at the earliest!

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #5 on: 14:51:41, 05/01/21 »

Hi Millsukg,I think they mean that unfortunately due to the lockdown announced last night, there won’t be any group walking happening any time soon, and you’ll only be allowed to exercise close to home (so no trips to the mountains)  :(  sounds like it’s lasting until end of February at the earliest!

Correct Pyramut, not sure why my words ended up in the middle of it all - operator error no doubt.

Am an ex-Midlander myself (Solihull) and unfortunately not so many mountains around, but having walked the Cotswold way last year i can recommend that, if able/legal to visit etc.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:14:47, 05/01/21 »
Have you done an online search? I did just now, and this came up
https://www.go4awalk.com/walking-groups-and-new-walking-friends/new-walk-friends.php

Mind you, the first few I looked at on there were in the, ahem, senior age group, and judging from your text speak posts you appear to be at the opposite end of the age scale to them.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:16:53, 05/01/21 »
Well the Ramblers are always a good first choice for people feeling the need for company whilst walking.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Pyramut

« Reply #8 on: 18:23:44, 05/01/21 »
Hiking groups on Meetup can be quite good too. Problem with them and the Ramblers is that the group sizes that go for walks can be quite large, such as 25+ people, so can be difficult to get to know people

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:03:42, 05/01/21 »
My wife has often asked me to find a group to walk with but I've never achieved it. All sorts of obstacles can present themselves, "its too far," "my knees couldn't cope," "I can't get the time off," "I can't manage those dates" and more!

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:18:10, 06/01/21 »
Hiking groups on Meetup can be quite good too. Problem with them and the Ramblers is that the group sizes that go for walks can be quite large, such as 25+ people, so can be difficult to get to know people
I belong to Ramblers group and for the longer walks of 11 miles+ the group is usually around 10 people. I have walked with quite a few different Ramblers groups and invariably they are friendly and go out of thir way to welcome newbies.
It's all uphill from here.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:15:08, 06/01/21 »
I belong to Ramblers group and for the longer walks of 11 miles+ the group is usually around 10 people. I have walked with quite a few different Ramblers groups and invariably they are friendly and go out of their way to welcome newbies.

I'd second joining Ramblers. The different groups do differ in the type and lengths of walks they do.  Currently, of course, group walks are on hold but if you do join try several groups to find the one which suits you best. The subscription covers you to walk with all groups as you chose which can be handy if you are holidaying in an area new to you. You will find a mix of singles/couples/ages but there are specific groups for younger people like yourself if that is more comfortable for you. New friendships are readily made, romance not unknown :D

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:32:56, 06/01/21 »
New friendships are readily made, romance not unknown :D

Are you speaking from experience, Jac?  ;)

I can't help feeling that this thread is a bit of a wind-up, or maybe the latest in a long line of attempts to make an iffy dating site known to us. It remains to be seen if the OP will come back and respond to the advice members have offered him.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 13:50:18, 06/01/21 »
I think I thought like that but I also thought that it does raise an important point or two. I know people who like the idea of hiking and perhaps camping, but I also know that the people who have expressed an interest of idea of hiking, once they start thinking about it properly, it tends to remains just that, an idea in their head!

Finding one person or more that would actually hike and want to hike, now that to me is the hard part!

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 14:34:47, 06/01/21 »
Are you speaking from experience, Jac?  ;)

I can't help feeling that this thread is a bit of a wind-up, or maybe the latest in a long line of attempts to make an iffy dating site known to us. It remains to be seen if the OP will come back and respond to the advice members have offered him.

Yes - of others :(
But agreed it could be a wind-up
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy