Author Topic: A 14 mile wander in Worcestershire with cotton wool clouds , and Narrow boats ..  (Read 1339 times)

GnP

• Veteran Member

I`m thrilled to still be joining the dots on my local walks . This wander started five minutes from my home at Forhill . In some ways I had written my local counties off a few years ago , imagining Wales and other areas were superior . In many ways they are , but for subtle beauty and rural delights then Worcestershire is up there with them .

This is the approach to Lilley Green Hall farm .

Looking down on Alvechurch .

Too young to die .? The photo after this shows the view  from the bench , this poignant dedication was attached to .

The view from that bench , down toward the village of Alvechurch...I sat for a while with my coffee.. Love this view .

After walking past Alvechurch , I joined the Worcester canal to head back toward Forhill .

These boats are moored next to Lower Bittell reservoir .

Alan (above) is cutting small branches for heating/starting the fire inside his narrow boat , that he lives on all year round . He told me he bought it as he was fed up of paying rent out for a flat after he got divorced . He plans to sail up to Chester when conditions allow , and return here in May .
When I mentioned I had remarried , he said he was surprised as I looked an intelligent man . I replied that appearances can be deceptive .
ps if my wife reads this ...I was joking ! :police:

Alan and that saw .....I wanted to stay and chat longer but I was getting tired and the temperature was dropping....

Reflections at bridge 66 .

The light was beginning to fade down on the towpath .

Waterlogged fields ..One of the last gates before returning to Forhill .

It feels like I have rediscovered my local County , Worcestershire , of late . Every cloud has a silver lining .
Thanks for having a gander .  O0
« Last Edit: 16:32:55, 11/02/21 by GinAndPlatonic »
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Peak

Thanks for sharing, looks great

April

• Veteran Member
Fab pics as usual G&P  O0  Love Bridge 66 shot especially  :)
Hate will never win

Jac

• Veteran Member
Another lovely walk. That looks a cold spot Alan's little boat is moored at between two bodies of water. Not much between him and the cold outside but he looks a happy man.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

pleb

• Veteran Member
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
Looks very peaceful.... no people about? I'll show a few photos from my walk yesterday to compare.

GnP

• Veteran Member
Thanks for sharing, looks great

Thank you . :)

Fab pics as usual G&P  O0  Love Bridge 66 shot especially  :)

Thank you April . I love those old bridges over the canals.. :)

Another lovely walk. That looks a cold spot Alan's little boat is moored at between two bodies of water. Not much between him and the cold outside but he looks a happy man.
You know what , the wind howls across that area and the other side there are fishing pools too..even more water . :o

Brrrrrrrrrr
:)

Looks very peaceful.... no people about? I'll show a few photos from my walk yesterday to compare.
There were some people on the tow path around Alvechurch and Hopwood...where car parking is available..further on toward Wast Hills tunnel people are few and far between . :)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Lovely pics G&P, that looks like a great bench to sit and have your coffee and take in the view.

GnP

• Veteran Member
Lovely pics G&P, that looks like a great bench to sit and have your coffee and take in the view.
Thanks ! . I didn`t take my sit mat with me and an unexpected bench with a great view was so very welcome . O0

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos G&P   :)    I always like waterside walks   -   it looks very pretty by the canal

Mel

• Veteran Member
Smashing set of pics G&P.  I like the starkness of the dead tree against the blue sky  :)

Glad you're rediscovering your own county and I know who to come to for advice when I can resume my County Bagging Project  O0

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Another great set of pics G&P - looks like you're quite enjoying local discovery.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Lovely local countryside and pics again, a grand outing  O0
Your towpath looks considerably muddier than ours but I expect it was frozen on that walk.

GnP

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos G&P   :)    I always like waterside walks   -   it looks very pretty by the canal
Thanks , water is calming that`s for sure . :)

Smashing set of pics G&P.  I like the starkness of the dead tree against the blue sky  :)

Glad you're rediscovering your own county and I know who to come to for advice when I can resume my County Bagging Project  O0
Thanks ..the tree stood out for sure.
That sounds like a great idea ..how many counties so far . ? Yes indeed , I can point you in the direction of a nice walking area when things have improved.. O0

Another great set of pics G&P - looks like you're quite enjoying local discovery.
Thanks , seems so easy to over look what`s on our doorsteps . O0

Lovely local countryside and pics again, a grand outing  O0
Your towpath looks considerably muddier than ours but I expect it was frozen on that walk.

Thanks , in places the mud was ankle deep and parts of the banks were falling away with some being shored up by huge bags of hard core dropped in at the waters edge, by the Canal and River trust presumably .  O0

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Great photos G&P, lovely reflection of the bridge over the canal.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy