Author Topic: Walk Across Wales  (Read 11167 times)

alfredtehbutler

Re: Walk Across Wales
« Reply #15 on: 17:59:31, 19/01/12 »

Don't worry about that Alfred, I've done this sort of thing before. I have a tent and Wales being one of the wettest places in the world, I doubt if finding water would be much of a problem.

That's a fair point :P

Although in all seriousness, I'm less inclined to do this now as part of the challenge and just do it myself instead.
I have a friend who is always up for crazy stuff so I might suggest this to him.
But what do you actually do with regards to accomodation, I'd be more than happy to camp out (in fact I'd prefer that to staying indoors) but I don't know how comfortable I'd feel with just stopping in some random field for the night, I'd much prefer to stay in actual campsites.

Do any of you guys know anybody who has walked across the width of Wales, not necessarily this particular route but any in general.

bear.cub

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 18:27:18, 19/01/12 »

Although in all seriousness, I'm less inclined to do this now as part of the challenge and just do it myself instead.
I have a friend who is always up for crazy stuff so I might suggest this to him.
But what do you actually do with regards to accomodation, I'd be more than happy to camp out (in fact I'd prefer that to staying indoors) but I don't know how comfortable I'd feel with just stopping in some random field for the night, I'd much prefer to stay in actual campsites.

Do any of you guys know anybody who has walked across the width of Wales, not necessarily this particular route but any in general.
May be look at this route http://newtown-rotary.org.uk/site/node/94 but over a couple of days or so.
I've never known such a bear for getting in a mess. Mr Brown referencing Paddington Bear

bear.cub

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:29:48, 19/01/12 »

Live dangerously BC, let your tail down  ;D . (Sorry, electric Ribena is out tonight  ;D ).
;D ;D
Easy L(T)iger, in your dreams!! ;)
Be careful what you wish for, I still have that rushed email........... ;D ;D
Checkout http://newtown-rotary.org.uk/site/node/94
I've never known such a bear for getting in a mess. Mr Brown referencing Paddington Bear

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:46:27, 19/01/12 »
This looks a cracker! I'm tempted...I think! lol  :)

Steve

Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

'Brothers, what we do in life, echoes in eternity'

bear.cub

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 18:57:20, 19/01/12 »
It was enjoyable....I think! ;)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 19:00:17, 19/01/12 »

If you intended to camp, the second half of the distance, roughly from Llandilloes Westwards to the sea is pretty much all wild hill land and finding somewhere to camp should be relatively easy. If I was planning to go that way And camp, I'd probably try to plan to go through Llandilloes around lunchtime, fuel up on pies and vino collapso and camp discreetly in the first bit of wild area to the West. The coast would probably be reached sometime the next day,
The problem for camping would lie in the first half , if you were starting at Bishops castle. but there is high ground - a place called Kerry Hill, for instance, or you could plan B&Bs at, say, Montgomery and/or Newtown and/or Caersws. Its just a matter of planning, really.
I've not planned this, obviously, but a fairly cursory look at a map suggests a few possibilities.
If you were starting somewhere else -e.g. Knighton, the options would be different.
...or you could just set off.....
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

alfredtehbutler

« Reply #21 on: 19:02:09, 19/01/12 »
May be look at this route http://newtown-rotary.org.uk/site/node/94 [nofollow] but over a couple of days or so.

That sounds pretty cool, although the map is simply a straight line across the middle of Wales which doesn't seem very informative :P

Do you know if they have a more detailed route anywhere?

I'd definitely be interested in doing this in maybe 3 days so I wouldn't have to worry about rushing to finish or panicking about getting to the campsite in time :)

bear.cub

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 19:06:24, 19/01/12 »
That sounds pretty cool, although the map is simply a straight line across the middle of Wales which doesn't seem very informative :P

Do you know if they have a more detailed route anywhere?

I'd definitely be interested in doing this in maybe 3 days so I wouldn't have to worry about rushing to finish or panicking about getting to the campsite in time :)
Give me a few days and I'll comeback to you, I may have it on my PC somewhere or I'll track it down!

alfredtehbutler

« Reply #23 on: 19:07:14, 19/01/12 »
Give me a few days and I'll comeback to you, I may have it on my PC somewhere or I'll track it down!

Wow, that's very kind of you, thank you very much :)

bear.cub

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 19:15:20, 19/01/12 »
Wow, that's very kind of you, thank you very much :)
Just found the application form which gives an outline, ping me a PM with your email and I'll forward, if you have problems plotting comeback to me and I'll do it from the app outline and memory and I'll plot onto a memory map jpeg and/or a gps file thingy thing and ping it to you some point next week.

alfredtehbutler

« Reply #25 on: 19:59:08, 19/01/12 »
Did you get my private message Bear Club?
^Cool name by the way  ;D

bear.cub

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 20:26:18, 19/01/12 »
Did you get my private message Bear Club?
^Cool name by the way  ;D
Hasn't arrived yet but I will keep a eye out for it. O0
Best not to encourage me, I'll only get up to mischief :)

lovinit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 20:28:15, 19/01/12 »
;D ;D
Easy L(T)iger, in your dreams!! ;)
Be careful what you wish for, I still have that rushed email........... ;D ;D
Checkout http://newtown-rotary.org.uk/site/node/94

Nuff said about that BC :o  .....

I'll have a look at the other walk this very eve  O0 .
No one can go back in time & make a brand new beginning, but anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.

bear.cub

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 20:33:41, 19/01/12 »

Nuff said about that BC :o  .....

I'll have a look at the other walk this very eve  O0 .
I've always liked you O0

alfredtehbutler

« Reply #29 on: 20:44:30, 19/01/12 »
Hasn't arrived yet but I will keep a eye out for it. O0
Best not to encourage me, I'll only get up to mischief :)

Can't believe I misspelled your name whilst commenting on the fact that I thought your name was cool  ;D

Do they normally take a while to get through or do they usually work straight away?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy