Author Topic: Water purification when up on the fells.  (Read 5118 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Water purification when up on the fells.
« Reply #45 on: 17:11:59, 11/08/20 »
This is how I use the Sawyer Micro Squeeze (sorry about the poor focus).

Dirty water in the brown pop bottle, tightly screwed on to the filter input side.
Clean water in the lower clear pop bottle, which is loosely attached to the filter output using the female-female coupling supplied.
I squeeze the dirty water bottle, then slacken it off slightly to let the air in, and repeat until done.
I then remove the dirty bottle, tighten the clean bottle, invert the filter and give the bottle a quick squeeze to back wash the filter.
Simple.

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 18:21:22, 11/08/20 »

@richardh1905, Yes that works much better than using the pouch that is included. The dirty water bottle is much easier to fill.

Myself, I am lazy, so I use a hose between filter and clean bottle and let the water column create the pressure, so I don't need to squeeze the bottle. Especially nice when the filter gets older / clogged with deteriorating flow. And also when you need to filter lots of water (dry areas with scarce sources). I can then watch other hikers sweat when they work hard squeezing water through the filter while I relax with a few snacks.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 18:41:25, 11/08/20 »
This is how I use the Sawyer Micro Squeeze (sorry about the poor focus).

Dirty water in the brown pop bottle, tightly screwed on to the filter input side.
Clean water in the lower clear pop bottle, which is loosely attached to the filter output using the female-female coupling supplied.
I squeeze the dirty water bottle, then slacken it off slightly to let the air in, and repeat until done.
I then remove the dirty bottle, tighten the clean bottle, invert the filter and give the bottle a quick squeeze to back wash the filter.
Simple.

Curious what types (or brand) of bottles you use for the micro?  Has it got the same threads as the previous I wonder.  I think the fizzy pop bottles have different threads to still water and vaguely remember fizzy pop being the ideal ones for the sawyer thread, but it's been a while since I used mine.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 19:04:37, 11/08/20 »
I had an attachment that connected to a pop bottle so that it could be used as a drinking reservoir in lieu of the normal drinking bladder, Camelpak/Platypus style.  It would be ideal to use with that lower bottle.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 19:19:52, 11/08/20 »
@richardh1905, Yes that works much better than using the pouch that is included. The dirty water bottle is much easier to fill.

Myself, I am lazy, so I use a hose between filter and clean bottle and let the water column create the pressure, so I don't need to squeeze the bottle. Especially nice when the filter gets older / clogged with deteriorating flow. And also when you need to filter lots of water (dry areas with scarce sources). I can then watch other hikers sweat when they work hard squeezing water through the filter while I relax with a few snacks.

No hard work involved, only takes a minute or two with the Sawyer Micro.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 19:20:53, 11/08/20 »

Curious what types (or brand) of bottles you use for the micro?  Has it got the same threads as the previous I wonder.  I think the fizzy pop bottles have different threads to still water and vaguely remember fizzy pop being the ideal ones for the sawyer thread, but it's been a while since I used mine.

Any normal pop bottle seems to fit - coke, pepsi etc. One of the reasons that I went for the Sawyer Micro. The bottom bottle is Irn Bru, top some fermented tea drink imported from Australia!

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 07:49:41, 12/08/20 »
As said before, Sawyer had the standard thread that most softdrink bottles have. Unlike Platypus bladders, which have a proprietary thread. So most softdrink bottles will fit on the Sawyer.

I use Platypus 2L bladders a lot for transport and storage of water, because they are easy to transport when empty and I need a water carrying capacity of 10 litres+ sometimes. But for 'dirty water' bladder I use an Evernew bladder because it has a standard thread so I can screw the Sawyer on it. (Why not all Evernew for all bladders then? Because I like the Platypus shape better - they pack more efficient when full).

For drinking itself I use a standard 1L Smartwater bottle, which is always within easy reach without needing to take my backpack off. I don't like drinking systems because they make it more difficult to see how fast you are going through your water.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

jamhavy

« Reply #52 on: 14:24:04, 27/11/21 »
I usually carry a water filter bottle with me for the safest water. I use Brita Plastic and am very satisfied with it, the water is better and cleaner after being filtered a lot, my health is also not affected when I drink the water filtered through this filter proving it is very safe and effective.

jamhavy

« Reply #53 on: 14:52:04, 31/12/21 »
I always carry a bottle of filtered water so I can drink the best quality water when I'm in a place where I don't trust the water source.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 16:17:34, 31/12/21 »
The majority of the time, i have sufficient water to last the duration of my walks, and its been a very rare occurrence for me to run out of water.

The last time it happened, was back in 2016 i think, when i was enjoying a savagely hot Cwm Caseg jaunt.

I went through the 5 Litres of water in my measured Camelbak bladders, and still ran out of  juice, llyn Caseg below Yr Elen, saved the day.

Its very rare for me to run out of water, as certain severe hydration episodes in the distant past, has taught me a lesson.

Take too much water with you, and if its too much, at least you can bring it home with you to water the plants.

Take to little, and then there's that anxious search for a clean water supply.

No point in remonstrating with Mrs Sheep, bleating away, telling you her hubby lies dead, face down in the water further up the valley.
« Last Edit: 16:21:47, 31/12/21 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 23:44:02, 31/12/21 »
I usually carry enough for the planned walk. But that can be a lot in hot weather. As I hope to get back to a few over night stops in 2022, I now have a Sawyer Micro filter.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 10:50:38, 01/01/22 »
I've thought about buying a Sawyer but I've decided to stick with my Lifestraw for now. I always carry a 3L bladder in my rucksack (usually with 2L to start) and I've found by experience that this, my Lifestraw and my little plastic cup attached to the back of my rucksack is all that I need. My Lifestraw is very easy to use, I just fill my cup with 'dirty' water, place one end of the Lifestraw into it and suck from the other end. Its only drawback is that it has no indicator to tell me when to change it?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy