Author Topic: When Will Non-Local Walks Be Allowed Again?  (Read 6416 times)

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
Re: When Will Non-Local Walks Be Allowed Again?
« Reply #15 on: 16:42:59, 06/02/21 »
The third family I found out about only after their quarantine had ended when they were out walking  their dog which had been no further than their backyard for 14 days.I now wear rubber gloves when I'm out and about for handling the kissing gates and stiles.

What benefit does wearing gloves give over not touching your face and using sanitiser. If the gloves are infected you still have to touch them to get them off
It's all uphill from here.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 18:26:43, 06/02/21 »
Seemples wash gloves in very hot water and soap before taking off.

On a four hour walk I don't fancy using that much sanitiser.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:36:47, 06/02/21 »
Seemples wash gloves in very hot water and soap before taking off.

On a four hour walk I don't fancy using that much sanitiser.
But you could still have the virus on your gloves until you wash them, you might as well just wash your hands at the end.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:47:09, 06/02/21 »
Aye you've got the same chance of being hand safe as me.

Neither way is perfect, but I prefer my way. Also keeps my hands warm. Since I go out most mornings between 5 and 6,
 It can be quite chilly.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 18:49:50, 06/02/21 »
Aye you've got the same chance of being hand safe as me.

Neither way is perfect, but I prefer my way. Also keeps my hands warm. Since I go out most mornings between 5 and 6,
 It can be quite chilly.
Well at the end of the day it’s all about staying safe and well. Each to his own.  O0

Jonathan1990

« Reply #20 on: 20:10:18, 08/02/21 »

Out of interest what is your channel called? As a Scarborough walker myself I would like to take a look.

Not really wanting to say at the moment although someone must have found it here after I got a first subscriber.

Lee R

« Reply #21 on: 20:21:03, 09/02/21 »

I have just stuck a pin in a calendar and come up with 18th May 2021  :-\

I would prefer the end of Feb/very beginning of March please so we can go away for my birthday as usual :)

Jonathan1990

« Reply #22 on: 01:55:16, 10/02/21 »
Also hoping I can cover the Farndale daffodil walk when it's time.

Little Foot

« Reply #23 on: 23:08:29, 16/02/21 »
Kirstie Allsopp recently tweeted about a woman who had driven to a beach with her child 9 miles from her home. Police saw her, questioned her and fined her whilst reporters were in tow.

Anyway, on reading comments, it seems to some people (and I've no idea if they are right) that fines for travelling for valid reasons such as exercise or mental health, are not lawful, purely because there is no definition in the law of what 'local' is. There is no measure of the distance.

How far do others think locally is? To me it's in your immediate area.

The woman's fine was dropped on appeal, so there may be truth in it.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 00:01:43, 17/02/21 »
Covid 19 appears to be running to its own timetable.

I though it was Chinies not Cornish. ;)

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 00:12:09, 17/02/21 »
Kirstie Allsopp recently tweeted about a woman who had driven to a beach with her child 9 miles from her home. Police saw her, questioned her and fined her whilst reporters were in tow.

Anyway, on reading comments, it seems to some people (and I've no idea if they are right) that fines for travelling for valid reasons such as exercise or mental health, are not lawful, purely because there is no definition in the law of what 'local' is. There is no measure of the distance.

That is why you can travel as far as you like (within reason) as there is no legal definition of local.
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 00:12:28, 17/02/21 »

I think the police have better things to do than hunting down folk who have driven a few miles from home for a walk.  There are examples of those clearly taking liberties and associated risks. If any one else here is on the UKC website they will know that many were for a few weeks after lock down.  But that seems to have been tamed by natural peer pressure now, rather than fines and police man hunts.

How ever boring it is, it"s not forever.  Well  I sure hope it isn't.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 08:12:20, 17/02/21 »

I presume this story is the one from Crosby beach which is less than a mile from me.  It falls in the Sefton area of the Liverpool city region.  This is a large open green area leading to the beach and is a magnet for hundreds of people every day in normal times, but, in the first lockdown was spectacularly busy, so much so that I only go down there before 8 am with the dogs - any later and it is quite difficult at times to avoid people.  This caused a lot of friction between people visiting and, in particular, those who live in the (very expensive) houses which overlook the beach.  Even when the car parks were closed, people parked on pavements and blocked access etc.  I do not think things have been nearly so bad, in terms of friction, in this lockdown, though it has been busy.  I think the lady came from within the Liverpool city region but not from within the borough of Sefton, which, I guess would have been ok in the police's eyes though, ironically, may have been more than nine miles. For instance my daughter lives in Sefton but is about 11 miles from Crosby beach as the borough is long and thin.

To me the spirit of the rules is to walk from home whenever possible, and I have been doing that through this and the earlier lockdowns - as BuzyG says, however boring it is not forever.  However, I see little to be gained by punishing people who have traveled a short distance. I do not see the attraction of trying to push the "rules" or test the definitions - I'd rather everyone just took it seriously so we can get back to normal(ish) as quickly as possible.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 09:09:18, 17/02/21 »
It's a bit clearer in Scotland, travel for excercise is allowed if it starts and finishes in the same place and that place is no more than 5 miles from your county boundary.  It has led to a bit of map searching for some, and to complaints from people living in small counties, and envy of those with highland addresses, but at least you know where you are. For me, 5 miles would land me in the sea, and there are large chunks of the county I can't get to without breaking the rules about avoiding public transport (ferries), but actually it gives quite a bit of room for manoeuvre, and at least I know what the lines are, even though I tend to keep more local than I have to.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 09:49:09, 17/02/21 »
I agree that 'local' is an e-l-a-s-t-i-c type of word. I chose my 'local' spot three weeks after the first lockdown and to date, it's worked out fine for me. I now commute there every day. I park in one of three parking spaces outside of my city and to my knowledge over the past year I can't remember ever seeing police cars nosing around.

I did read of a man who was nicked in the evening recently, he bought a burger and sat in his car eating it. The Police decided he was having a picnic (he should have driven home to eat it) so fined him.

I've washed my hands when out running, even though, depending on the route I take I have to cross between 2 stiles and 5 kissing gates. But when I get back to my car I have a flannel (plus a towel) already soaked in soapy water which I then use.

At the end of one of my 'local' car parks, an elderly couple has lived in their small caravan for months and months. I don't think they have been bothered by the police at all. When I see them next I'll ask.

I too am waiting for that time when we can enjoy 'non-local' walks again. My head tells me I'm going to hike the South to North Pennine Way again and when I get to Kirk Yetholm I'm then going to carry on to Holy Island. Something for me to focus on.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy