Author Topic: Garmin Oregon 700 'Help' Me Again :(  (Read 1650 times)

Tam911

Garmin Oregon 700 'Help' Me Again :(
« on: 15:43:00, 21/02/21 »
 :-[  Im beginning to think it is just us but my problem this week with my new Garmin Oregon is as follows, any help please :

So we set off on our walk following the magenta line on the correct route i have downloaded.  We stop for a break of about half hour and start off again.  No magenta line showing now ?? , luckily we know the route as im not confident enough yet as we keep running into problems!!!, anyway i get home plug the garmin into basecamp and our route appears and the line of which we walked.

...... So WHY was this not showing on our route  :-[ ?  Please believe me when i tell you we are relatively good with technology etc so to say this is becoming frustrating is an understatement  .

BR

Tilly

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Garmin Oregon 700 'Help' Me Again :(
« Reply #1 on: 16:12:48, 21/02/21 »
What did you do when you stopped? Did you turn off your GPS or did you keep it running? Anything else you did?

Certainly if you didn't touch it when you stopped there is no reason I can think of that would stop the magenta line being displayed.
Where there's a will ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:50:15, 21/02/21 »
Don't know if this helps as I don't have an O700 but on other devices it is easy to reset a track by accident.

Does the O700 have a default " no movement" time.     
I.E. You haven't moved so you must be finished, I'll stop following the track and save the battery?

On my old Garmin it is too easy to zoom accidentally which also makes it look like the track has switched off. It took a bit for me to work that one out first time because mine has a tiny screen and was as far as I was concerned it was blank.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:07:56, 21/02/21 »
In track manager could the “ show on map” item be off? Also make sure the track colour is one that can be seen easily.
« Last Edit: 19:22:26, 21/02/21 by Slowcoach »
It's all uphill from here.

Tam911

« Reply #4 on: 19:20:36, 21/02/21 »
Thank you all for your replies, I know we definitely didn't turn it off when we stopped :(

That is very interesting about the no movement default Jimbob,  i will have to investigate that in the numerous settings.

I will look again in the Track Manager, but sure we did this :(

Im questioning now why my Garmin   couldn't  be more like my  iPhone with my GPX maps on there and why apple  haven't invented something similar, although maps on the  iPhone eats the battery within an hour , but each time we are out now and the Garmin fails i have to revert back to my phone    :(   I am really wanting to give my Garmin the benefit of the doubt as the reviews are great but we have yet to experience the greatness.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:59:14, 21/02/21 »
My Etrex is now nearly 9 years old and has never let me down so I really think it is unfamiliarity with your Oregon. Somehow you've exited the route while you were stopped. It will however, as you've found, still track you whether you're navigating a route or not.

One possibility, and it's unlikely, is that the first part of your route had 250 points in it, as that is the maximum possible that your Oregon will show. I made that mistake early on with a Garmin having sent a long route to my GPS from a mapping program. The route stopped being displayed with a few miles still to go  ;D  . Have a look at the route in BaseCamp and see how many points there are.

Incidentally I don't know of any Garmin that will switch off after it's been stationary for a period of time, so I don't believe that is the cause.
« Last Edit: 20:02:21, 21/02/21 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

Eyelet

« Reply #6 on: 20:37:17, 21/02/21 »
I agree with sussamb that the two GPSMAP devices I have used for a decade have been brilliant, but they do have a steep learning curve.

Was the magenta line that you were following a track or a route?

If it was a route (i.e. not a track) that you had loaded, if it disappears again you could look at the Active Route app to see if the route was still being navigated? If not, you could restart the navigation.

If it was a track (ie not routable) that you had loaded, then as Slowcoach has said, a quick check in the Track Manager will determine if it is still set to "Show on Map".

Your Garmin can be set to Auto Pause the track recording when stationary, but this shouldn't affect the display of the route or track on the map that you are following.

To sussamb's point, I think that while using any routing activity other than 'Direct', the Oregon is limited to 50 waypoints per route, so this is certainly worth checking.
« Last Edit: 20:40:31, 21/02/21 by Eyelet »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 06:47:04, 22/02/21 »
Yes, sorry, I'm so used to using the Direct activity as no routing activity takes me along the paths I want to go, and that's due to the map I use, that I didn't mention the 50 point limit if using an activity other than Direct. Having said that it's pretty nigh impossible to reach that 50 point limit using a routing activity on a short walk  :)
Where there's a will ...

Tam911

« Reply #8 on: 09:59:45, 28/02/21 »
 O0 thanks all, I have yet another question now !!!!! (please don't ask for me to be removed from the forum for asking too many questions ;D )

So we set off on a ten mile walk yesterday on a GPX route that i downloaded, now bearing in mind i have not changed any settings this is what happens:

We are walking and the pointer is showing us the correct way we are now on a long 2 mile stretch so do not need to look at the garmin.  When we eventually look the pointer is in the correct place but is not showing on the screen and we have had to scroll up etc to find it, it does this for the duration of the walk.  In all we are probably out about 4 hours, when we get back to the car the battery is usually on about 1 or 2 bars, yesterday it is on full bars!  What did we do wrong yesterday ?

We are gradually ::)  getting the hang of it but each time we use it something different happens

Thanks in advance for all your patience

Tilly

Eyelet

« Reply #9 on: 10:19:35, 28/02/21 »
Was the downloaded GPX a route or a track?

If it was a track, you probably moved the pointer slightly at the start of the 2 mile straight section and when you looked again at the end of this section, the pointer was still there at that position. The device is still tracking your position, but if you move the cursor eg to look at a section of map further away, it will stay there until you quit this mode to get it back in the middle of the screen and show you your actual position normally. You shouldn’t have to scroll to find the pointer and move it manually as this is not escaping from this mode, but keeping it there, which is why your device kept doing this for the rest of your walk. You could also have turned the GPSr off and back on to get back to the usual screen, but you don't really have to do that (but it is always an option if you can't figure it out while on a walk).

Which batteries are you using and what battery type is your device set to in Settings? The types need to match. If they don’t you will get spurious low battery level readings.
« Last Edit: 10:33:25, 28/02/21 by Eyelet »

Tam911

« Reply #10 on: 10:32:47, 28/02/21 »
Hi , it was a route.

When we have walked before it follows the line as we are walking but like i say this time it was following it correctly but almost as if it was off!. and we had to look for it each time we need to know where we were going.  I do actually think it is the use not the equipment but it does something different each time we use it :( 

Sorry i meant that when we got back to the car we had a full battery, which we have never had before, obviously this is a good thing however this then leads me to believe was this connected someway to the way the route was showing?

Eyelet

« Reply #11 on: 11:08:33, 28/02/21 »
... and were you navigating it as a route with turn-by-turn instructions or just following it as a track?

Do you mean that your actual route as shown by the GPSr was parallel to the path of the GPX route or zig-zagging or what?

Do you remember how far apart were the two lines (in metres) and do you know what accuracy your GPSr was reporting? If you wanted to PM me the downloaded GPX route you followed and the GPX file of your actual track, I could have a look at them and see if they show anything unusual.

It is not unusual for there to be a small difference between someone else's route and your actual track. You might do the same walk and the GPS traces will be slightly different each time. Given you should be getting horizontal position accuracy around 3-4m most of the time, this doesn't usually present a problem for navigation. If you go to the nakarte.me website and select the OpenStreetMap GPS traces overlay, you will see what is normal in terms of different tracks not being exactly positioned over one another.

One last thing - did you look at the downloaded route in Garmin BaseCamp?

Regarding the battery, I can't see that affecting the quality of the position fix or the track recording, especially if you haven't changed anything else in the settings. It just works until the battery is flat, then it stops. The biggest use of power is to illuminate the screen. From what you said, for 2 of the 10 miles you didn't need to look at the device, so that could perhaps account for it?
« Last Edit: 11:28:26, 28/02/21 by Eyelet »

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:18:50, 28/02/21 »
Is it possible you "walked yourself off the screen" - easily done if you're zoomed right in? 

Is there a location or compass button on the screen during the walk?  Try tapping that to see if it centers your location back on the screen again (rather than scrolling about to find yourself).

Re. battery life, if it's a new device it might take a charge or two to optimise the battery's full capacity.

Eyelet

« Reply #13 on: 12:38:25, 28/02/21 »
Another thought ... if you were navigating the route using turn-by-turn instructions, what profile was the device set to use (this changes how the route is calculated by the device) and which map were you using on the GPSr - is it a routable map and if so, is it routable on roads only or roads and footpaths/bridleways/PROSw? 

I think a non-routable map has to be navigated using "Direct Activity" i.e. way point to way point, a map routable on roads only will flick between sections of road if you have the activity set to "Walking"  or "Hiking" whereas a fully routable map will navigate you properly when you set the activity to "Walking"  or "Hiking".  if in doubt use "Direct Activity".

It is possible that the route you downloaded was set to activity = Walking inside the GPX file, but you were trying to use it with a non-routable map which requires activity = Direct.
« Last Edit: 12:48:02, 28/02/21 by Eyelet »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 12:42:24, 28/02/21 »
Lots of interesting ideas but I suspect the solution is much simpler. With it in your pocket the movement set it to scroll mode. You can always tell this has happened as you'll see a white arrow on the screen.

Just hit the back button so it goes back into routing mode.
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy