Author Topic: On Channel 5 - Robson Green Walks Hadrian Wall  (Read 5000 times)

April

• Veteran Member
On Channel 5 - Robson Green Walks Hadrian Wall
« on: 22:02:53, 14/01/21 »
Robson Green: Walking Coast to Coast - Channel 5

I quite enjoyed it and Robson is a canny Northumberland lad  :)
Hate will never win

Skip

• Veteran Member
Re: On Channel 5 - Robson Green Walks Hadrian Wall
« Reply #1 on: 22:31:53, 14/01/21 »
Robson Green: Walking Coast to Coast - Channel 5
I quite enjoyed it and Robson is a canny Northumberland lad  :)

I agree - an enjoyable hour's telly. Robson Green seems like a good-humoured bloke and there were some nice views of the wall and sill.
Skip

MarkT

« Reply #2 on: 22:34:16, 14/01/21 »
I enjoyed it as well and will watch the rest of it as it is a walk on my to do list.

At the beginning you see him packing his tent. I wander if he really did camp it  :-\

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:17:58, 14/01/21 »
I enjoyed it too.  Good views of the wall and countryside.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:21:27, 15/01/21 »
At the beginning you see him packing his tent. I wander if he really did camp it  :-\

:) He certainly wasn't carrying all his gear, all the time. His rucksack looked quite empty in some of the shots. In one of the trailers for it he gets out of a tent, so he may have camped some of the time? I've never seen him in anything else before, after Robson and Jerome I purposely avoided watching anything with him in  ;D I didn't realise he was so funny and such a character or that he was from Hexham, I thought he was from Ashington or somewhere on the north east coast!
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:35:27, 15/01/21 »
Missed this last night, will catch up later.

I have time for Robson Green - I've occasionally watched one of his angling programs, although I am no fisherman - I like his self deprecating humour.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:48:26, 15/01/21 »
Mrs pdstsp and younger daughter pulled a face when I suggested watching it - I will catch up over the weekend. I was going to do this walk a couple of years back, but some of the b&bs wanted daft money for a solo walker, so I went to the alps for five days instead for roughly the same money.  Still on my list though.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:24:39, 15/01/21 »
Ok TV but not particularly good. If he did camp it wasn't obvious - though if he free camped it would have been illegal! He's a nice bloke and his real delight in meeting, unexpectedly, with an old work colleague was genuinely touching.

On most walks programmes I find the arranged meetings with 'interesting' people along the way far too contrived and often very of little relevance to the path.

For my money the best series recently have been the Yorkshire walks - where I get a real sense of walking the route with just the occasional chance meeting with people along the way and the individual walker's personal description of the day out. Richard Coles comment as he made a donation to the church fund - 'Remember, God loves the sound of biro on a gift aid form' will stay with me a long time.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Warbler

« Reply #8 on: 13:49:48, 15/01/21 »
On most walks programmes I find the arranged meetings with 'interesting' people along the way far too contrived and often very of little relevance to the path.

I agree. This is why I found it hard to watch that SWCP series with Paul Rose. There is a similar one on ITV with Julia Bradbury too.

Having said that, I'll probably give this one a go tonight on catch-up.

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:36:18, 16/01/21 »
Coming from the area I quite enjoyed it although the continuity could be confusing to people wanting to do the walk.He turned up in Hexham which is not on the path and then Corbridge which would have meant him going back on himself.As long as you watch it as a bit of pleasant escapism it's fine but not to be taken as a literal guide to walking the path.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:03:36, 18/01/21 »
I enjoyed this, brings back memories of walking it in 2015. Feels good watching something like this at the moment as we can’t travel there  :(

strawy

« Reply #11 on: 21:03:38, 18/01/21 »
I wanted to watch it,dont mind Robson,used to watch his fishy things,but....
This "lockdown" has put me off watching these type of things..
I know it would really make me want to go to the open moors/lakes,the places i love being in...
But i cant...
I could,but then i,d hate myself for being selfish..
It comes down to your persona..

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:53:49, 23/01/21 »
I watched episode 2 last night and again I really enjoyed it, Robson Green is so enthusiastic (even in the rain) and you can tell how much he loves Northumberland. I share his love of the area and it is lovely to see some of it on the telly when we can't go there for real. It looks like he stayed on campsites rather then wild camping. For me, wild camping is a bit of a no no near Hadrian's Wall, not the done thing. The tent looked brand new and straight out of the bag and the first time he'd pitched it on Ep 2 last night  :)
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:05:37, 23/01/21 »
I quite enjoyed it, and Robson Green appears to be a genuinely likeable fellow, but it didn't quite hit the mark with me.

I have been watching Susan Calman's tour of the Lakes and Yorkshire on C5. She is as mad as a box of frogs and they were not walking programs, but I thoroughly enjoyed them, none the less. Especially her imitation of Kate Bush doing Wuthering Heights  :D
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:01:36, 24/01/21 »
I watched episode 2 last night and again I really enjoyed it, Robson Green is so enthusiastic (even in the rain) and you can tell how much he loves Northumberland. I share his love of the area and it is lovely to see some of it on the telly when we can't go there for real. It looks like he stayed on campsites rather then wild camping. For me, wild camping is a bit of a no no near Hadrian's Wall, not the done thing. The tent looked brand new and straight out of the bag and the first time he'd pitched it on Ep 2 last night  :)
Oh you cynic! Did you see the size of the stove thing he was cooking with?
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy