Author Topic: Replying to topic  (Read 853 times)

Peak

Replying to topic
« on: 08:22:50, 15/02/21 »
When reading a topic and I wish to reply I hit the quote button but my text comes up in the same box, what am I doing wrong?.  So I have been hitting reply and then sending without the quote.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Replying to topic
« Reply #1 on: 08:27:58, 15/02/21 »
When reading a topic and I wish to reply I hit the quote button but my text comes up in the same box, what am I doing wrong?.  So I have been hitting reply and then sending without the quote.
If you want to quote someone else then hit the quote button but only type your reply outside their text and the square brackets and stuff [ quote author etc ] or [ / quote ]
Hope that helps.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:02:00, 15/02/21 »
When reading a topic and I wish to reply I hit the quote button but my text comes up in the same box, what am I doing wrong?.

The forum reply mechanisms have started behaving strangely of late in various browsers.

There are two Quote buttons: there is the one on the far right hand side of the post you're replying to that quotes the whole post in the reply, there is also the one above the Reply textbox after you hit Reply.

The first button to quote the whole post works fine here, it automatically opens the Reply box and inserts the quoted post correctly.
However the second button doesn't:- when I hit that Quote button, I only get the first 'quote' of the pair, I have to type in the second manually (it always worked until a few weeks ago).

Also, oddly, I have to hit Enter three times to get a blank line in the reply. ???
In all cases, always use the Preview button to see how it will look - this does work.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:14:21, 15/02/21 »
The forum mechanics are a bit cranky at times. I find that it works better with Chrome rather than Microsoft Edge.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ayjay

« Reply #4 on: 09:25:13, 15/02/21 »
My main browser is Firefox: I can't insert pics or use smilies when using Firefox. My "spare" browser is one called *Pale Moon* (based on an older version of Firefox), and with that, both pics and smilies work.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:46:56, 15/02/21 »
I find that it works better with Chrome rather than Microsoft Edge

Adding further to the mystery, since Edge now runs on a Chromium engine!.
I can't insert pics or use smilies when using Firefox. My "spare" browser is one called *Pale Moon* (based on an older version of Firefox), and with that, both pics and smilies work.

Odd, pics and smilies are among the few things that work perfectly in Firefox here.
Confirmed, everything works fine in PaleMoon. I tend not to use it these days since a small, but growing, number of websites fail to work properly on that old engine.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:27:37, 15/02/21 »
I use Firefox and everything works very well apart from having to enter three times to miss a line .. as vghikers mentioned.  ???
& not directly related to the question but I have lost a whole post with photos and text after being logged out during the time it took me to write the said post . :-[
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Peak

« Reply #7 on: 10:40:22, 15/02/21 »
Thanks for the replies

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:11:47, 15/02/21 »

I have not had any trouble with the quote button.  For me, it works as Richard describes.  O0

I agree the Forum engine is a bit flakey.  I use CHROME as my browser.  It always inserts extra lines into any line spaces I create, which I then remove with an Edit after every single post I make. ::)

It also has an annoying habit of randomly changing the font to a small italic one.  No idea why.  All easy enough to correct, but why does it happen?

Another who has lost posts while Editing them too. ???

GoneWest

« Reply #9 on: 11:50:14, 15/02/21 »
I've had trouble putting in blank lines, as well. I found that using SHIFT-RETURN instead of just RETURN usually solves the problem.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:34:57, 18/02/21 »
None of the problems the rest of you mention, but the Windows 8.1 pc I use refuses to log me in to the forum most of the time. I enter user name and password, and it still says log in at the top of the page. Works just fine on my Windows 10 laptop with the same browser and configuration.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy