Author Topic: Good socks etc for walking with wet feet?  (Read 4358 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Good socks etc for walking with wet feet?
« Reply #30 on: 09:58:12, 18/03/21 »
I've never given socks much of a thought really, I've just tended to buy on price and thickness. I have had thoughts in 2020 though via my running which has centered on socks that minimise any minute 'oscillation' movement in my shoes. I can't call it sliding but if magnified as a movement that, I think is what t would be. I have a couple of pairs of synthetic socks, very comfortable but I can feel that my feet are 'oscillating' as I twist and turn through the woods. Over a long hike that would not be good for my feet. I've experienced this 'sliding' in boots as well and believe that these small movements or oscillations not only contribute to sore feet but can make my feet hot (friction) as well.

I have one pair of Bridgedale socks which keep my feet rigid and for me, they are 'the best' but I've no idea what they are made of. I remember I bought them in Blacks so when I get the chance I'm going to go to one of their shops, with my socks in hand, and study their sock rack to see if I can find the same models?

I've learned one thing, I am not a fan of the thin inner and the thick outer sock idea, I've tried that and it doesn't work for me.

Kev06

« Reply #31 on: 10:27:56, 18/03/21 »
Yes, it is certainly movement and rubbing which causes a lot of problems. Over the years I've tried both to minimise that with reasonably tight lacing (and firm socks), and alternatively to accommodate it between layered socks (rather than wholly at my skin). It must be said that both methods can work quite well for me, but personally I've ended up preferring to use liners and still having securely laced boots - the best of both worlds to a degree.

I believe this is partly because the thin liner allows a very fine (and non-abrasive) weave/thread, which just seems to suit me. The main sock can then get on with cushioning by whatever method it prefers. Looking at the merino liner closely though, the weave isn't anywhere near as fine and smooth as my synthetic liners so I'd guess thats why my method fell down in this case.

Not sure if it is simply that particular sock or if merino just cannot be super-fine for technical reasons. But whilst I may have wasted some money on this sock, at least the test was quite helpful and means I can continue being content with rather cheaper synthetic liners. I'm sure they can't retain a lot of water either way, so it is probably the thicker sock that is of most interest with respect to this topic.
« Last Edit: 10:32:26, 18/03/21 by Kev06 »

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 10:40:11, 18/03/21 »
I have one pair of Bridgedale socks which keep my feet rigid and for me, they are 'the best' but I've no idea what they are made of. I remember I bought them in Blacks so when I get the chance I'm going to go to one of their shops, with my socks in hand, and study their sock rack to see if I can find the same models?

You've been here before a year ago!  ;)   http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=40226.msg578608#msg578608

If you post the requested photo of your socks people may be able to help you identify the model from the pattern/colour.

NB The Bridgedale models have all changed model names since you bought them and the available colours may also have changed.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 12:46:58, 18/03/21 »
Oh yes, getting old the memory ain't what it used to be.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 12:48:01, 18/03/21 »
I've never given socks much of a thought really, I've just tended to buy on price and thickness. I have had thoughts in 2020 though via my running which has centered on socks that minimise any minute 'oscillation' movement in my shoes. I can't call it sliding but if magnified as a movement that, I think is what t would be. I have a couple of pairs of synthetic socks, very comfortable but I can feel that my feet are 'oscillating' as I twist and turn through the woods. Over a long hike that would not be good for my feet. I've experienced this 'sliding' in boots as well and believe that these small movements or oscillations not only contribute to sore feet but can make my feet hot (friction) as well.

As I'm sure you know, most running shoes have an extra eyelet that allows for a runner's knot to be tied easily. This lacing method has other names (heel lock, lace lock), but basically it 'locks down' the heel and prevents the foot moving and causing problems.

Although walking shoes don't tend to have the extra eyelet, the same lacing method can be used. Might be worth a google...
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 18:13:37, 18/03/21 »
I first noticed this little problem in 2015, I had bought a Lightwave rucksack and after a week carrying it, my shoulders became sore. I eventually realised that it was because of minute movements of the shoulder straps as I walked. I tried everything to solve it but in the end had to put pads under the shoulder straps, a couple of cotton folded flannels. Later I bought an Osprey 48L, this problem has never occurred with this rucksack, although after two weeks I put the flannels under because I begin to notice I get sore a bit.

Kev06

« Reply #36 on: 08:52:20, 31/03/21 »
It was quite warm so I had a go with the 'wet feet' thing, by fording a stream and then walking for several miles. On one foot I changed the socks and on the other I just left the wet (merino) sock stay wet. There would have been a middle ground of wringing out the sock, but I didn't have a third foot to try that with :)

The foot with the wet sock wasn't great; the skin became quite soft and sore in places, so if it had been a long walk I'm sure there would have been blisters. The suede and cordura boot did begin to dry as walking continued, but not fast enough to prevent this. The foot with the changed socks was much better; some dampness did get re-absorbed from the leather boot which softened my foot a little but nothing very bad happened, though a fair bit of skin seemed to have been exfoliated into the sock by the end of the walk.

Possibly it is something one's feet could become adjusted to, but I need to take particular care of mine so it'll not be something I take up routinely. I don't find full proofed-leather boots too bad in summer, so overall they would win out easily where they'd keep feet dry.  However it does mean that I'm happy to use free-draining boots where wetness is likely but temporary, provided I take changes of sock - which covers quite a lot of my summer walking. So quite a successful test really, thanks for all the advice!

Patrick1

« Reply #37 on: 12:46:12, 31/03/21 »
Obviously its very much horses for courses. However, I wonder if part of the problem you had was in pairing the "wet feet" approach with leather boots. I walk in non-waterproof Innov8 trail runners for most of the year. For me one of the benefits has been a complete lack of blisters, wet or dry, when compared to boots. However, the shoes are very soft fabric and mesh, like a very thin trainer really, and as a result there really is no stiff outer to rub against my skin, regardless of whether my socks are dry or wet. To be honest it feels like walking in slippers when compared to traditional boots, and its that softness, and hence comfort, that keeps me wearing them, despite the fact that they don't keep my feet dry.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 12:54:25, 31/03/21 »
I couldn't agree more Patrick.  O0

I'm a big fan of lightweight walking shoes and trail runners, and most of my shoes are non-waterproof for the reasons you give.

My wife recently bought a pair of Inov-8 Trailroc shoes, which she wore yesterday on a 26.5 mile walk, having only done a few miles in them previously. She had no foot problems at all.

Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Kev06

« Reply #39 on: 14:37:15, 31/03/21 »
The boots are a non-waterproof mix of suede and fabric, very free-draining (for that kind of thing), and surprisingly some of the problems were also between toes more than between foot and sock/boot. But yes more mesh-like footwear could easily surpass them; I shall have to try wringing the socks out next time to give things a head start and see how that goes.

This is undoubtedly a personal thing but for some reason I've never got on as well with shoes, of any type in any application. Even in day-to-day casual use, boots work better for me; not sure if it is how I walk or the shape of my feet. I did try walking-type shoes for a while, approach shoes and trail shoes, but (again personally) prefer boots once off the beaten track and in amongst the undergrowth and briers. 

But thats all okay as I don't really have a big problem to deal with here, so no need to fix something that isn't especially broken, I was just curious to see how it might work and if it was any better. I think my answer is that it could be in some situations and I shall look forward to trying those out in anger, but it'll perhaps not become my usual method.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 10:03:26, 01/04/21 »
As is often the case many strategies for wet summer foot ware in this thread, always interesting to read. 

I think  I may buck the trend a little.  I simply wear cheap cotton sports socks from SD, along with my Karimoor walking shoes, again from SD.  The shoes have a waterproof lining, that keeps out the morning dew.  If I know I'm fording a stream then I sometimes take a spare pair of socks or even a spare pair of shoes just for the crossing.  But mostly in summer I will just wade on through and get wet feet. They do dry out again on longer walks, but it takes several miles of dry ground.  I wore this combination for the Dartmoor High ground marathon, which includes a number of fords. Plus many 20+ mile wonders across Dartmoor.  If I plan to walk in wet conditions all day, then I wear my boots and keep my feet dry though. Summer or winter. So far never a blister or sore foot. O0

https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-mount-low-mens-walking-shoes-183075?google&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpMu4ntbc7wIVh6Z3Ch2tiwhMEAYYASABEgLlyvD_BwE#colcode=18307505
« Last Edit: 10:07:06, 01/04/21 by BuzyG »

Kev06

« Reply #41 on: 11:19:56, 01/04/21 »
Good to hear, thanks! I can certainly identify with swapping to dry socks, it seemed to work really well for me so think I shall start carrying spare pairs routinely. Even though they became a little moist from the wet boot it wasn't enough to cause any problems, so taking spare footwear shouldn't be needed for most situations.

My feet seem less suited than yours to continuing on completely wet, unfortunately. They do a fair number of miles and are reasonably hardy (at least when dry), so I was hopeful, but it is not to be - so best not to take needless risks I suppose.

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 13:03:21, 07/04/21 »
I think there are degrees of wetness to consider.  :D

For me, the problems begin when my feet are wet through. Twice, I have experienced something like trenchfoot - not just a bit of a sore spot from rubbing, but very painful all over like they are on fire or such like. Both times, that was when my boots failed completely to keep water out - which is why I'm reluctant to go for the "let your feet get wet, they will dry out" option.

A bit of moisture has never been the same problem, whether from sweat or dew or a bit of water ingress crossing a stream, so I am broadly happy to carry on with GTX footwear to keep the worst at bay, and always two pairs of socks - close fitting liners under another pair (thickness dependant upon which season) which allows the friction to occur between the two layers.

Kev06

« Reply #43 on: 18:30:39, 07/04/21 »
That is valuable to know, thanks very much! I hadn't quite realised it could get so bad, at least out of trench-like conditions.

Whilst free-draining boots would hopefully reduce the degree of wetness sufficiently to avoid that, it certainly isn't something that I want to bet on. The double-whammy of diabetic feet means reduced feeling and also reduced healing, so problems might not be felt in time to stop them getting dangerous.

So, another reason to not fix things that aren't broken then; I'm not 'that' curious to find out!

Cheers,
Kev

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy