Author Topic: Svartz Anatomix Lite Footbeds?  (Read 1616 times)

Kev06

Svartz Anatomix Lite Footbeds?
« on: 18:57:35, 22/03/21 »
I'm currently using Svartz Absorber footbeds and get on well with them for general walking, a bit less tiring on the heels than the standard Altberg insoles.

But I'm thinking of also getting something with additional arch support for use on longer hikes, and by their description the Anatomix Lite Footbeds seem to offer that.

Just wondering if anyone has tried these and have any thoughts on them, or how they may compare to more common alternatives like superfeet?
Thanks,
Kev

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: Svartz Anatomix Lite Footbeds?
« Reply #1 on: 19:48:40, 22/03/21 »
I can't comment on the Svartz Anatomix Lite footbeds other than to say that you are right in that they are the nearest in design to the Superfeet Green. You probably need to do a bit of research on some of the army forums for reviews/comments on the Svartz Anatomix Lite footbeds (google should point you in the right direction).

I would suggest that you also look at the Sidas 3Feet Comfort and the Sidas 3Feet Activ for comparison as they are also very similar in design to the Superfeet green.

Whalley Warm & Dry currently seem to be offering the Sidas 3Feet Everyday insoles in combination with the Sidas Impact Reducers to customers who want an off the shelf ready to wear solution.

The Sidas models mentioned are all available in 3 variations to suit Low, Medium or High arches.

I currently use the Superfeet Green and Sidas 3Feet Comfort Mid insoles in different boots and I honestly can't tell the difference between them in use.

Kev06

« Reply #2 on: 20:48:44, 22/03/21 »
Thanks, yeah i wasn't sure how many on here might use the svartz ones; I know we have a few altberg fans but could easily be using standard or other brands of insole.

I suppose ideally I'd hang fire until everywhere is open and I'm in a position to go and try different ones on. I'm just reasonably confident the svartz anatomix would fit me, as the current softer ones do, and they last well at a (relatively) reasonable price.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:51:17, 22/03/21 »
I have Sidas in one pair of Altbergs and Svartz in the other pair.  Not a lot to choose between them for my feet.

I tried Superfeet after they were recommended on this forum.  They were wonderful for a few miles but then they became so painful I pulled then out after 7 miles and completed my walk without footbeds, which was a marked improvement!
Solvitur Ambulando

Eyelet

« Reply #4 on: 23:06:08, 22/03/21 »
Quite a few year ago, I used to use Spenco inserts and had occasional discomfort in one foot. So I went to Whalley Warm and Dry to get properly measured and found that I have one foot with a high arch and one foot with a normal arch. So I would recommend getting the arches of your feet measured before buying an off-the-shelf insole.

Since that visit I have been using bespoke custom-made insoles made by Whalley Warm and Dry fitted to my feet. They have been absolutely fantastic in terms of comfort and freedom from foot pains in a variety of different stiffness boots.

Kev06

« Reply #5 on: 09:21:21, 23/03/21 »
That is interesting to hear, thanks. It does sound like a measuring would be quite useful really, or at the very least being able to test different footbeds for fit. So probably not something to get by post during lockdown then, especially if I want an optimum arch.

The svartz anatomix lite description says it has adaptable arch support, but on reflection I don't know how well that actually works. Looking at the pictures I can't see how it might be adjusted, so maybe it just has some give or creep in it. Whereas the Sidas or Superfeet have different arch height options.

Ninthace, thats also useful, thanks. So there are some differences between Sidas and Superfeet then, if you chose comparable sizes and arch heights anyway. I must admit that Sidas has so far passed me by, but they do seem quite well regarded.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:50:50, 23/03/21 »
The vast majority of arch supports are designed to be trimmed to fit by the user and not something you can really try before you buy unless you happen to be lucky with the sizing and it actually fits in your boot. You basically use your existing insole as a template to draw round it with a marker pen before cutting it to the same size so it fits into your boot. I don't think the likes of Go Outdoors etc. would be too happy if you sat in their shop with your marker pen and scissors chopping bits off so you could try them in your boots.  ;D

The problem with obtaining Svartz insoles is that they are a relatively unknown brand in this country with very few retail outlets stocking them unless you happen to live near one.

Superfeet and Sidas are both very well known brands and are widely available in many outdoor retail and skiing shops.

If you have a decent bootfitters near you it's quite likely that they will have one of the Sidas machines which you stand on and it will tell you your arch height amongst many other foot related info. If you don't there are a number of simple tests you can do at home to establish which type of arch height you have - google arch height test.

Kev06

« Reply #7 on: 10:51:38, 23/03/21 »
Thanks, I really will have to look more into Sidas. And as you say, research some military forums on the Svarz anatomix lites; I'd be delighted if they happen to suit me because I trust the brand, but won't push it if not.

Yeah, not many brands are made exactly to size, so couldn't be tried properly in boots. In the past some shops kept samples of superfeet trimmed to their nominal sizes to allow trying on, perhaps they did have people trying to fit them in! But either way, I prefer to choose the size that fits my actual foot shape best - the quoted shoe sizes don't seem so important in trim-to-fit models - thats what I meant by trying them. I still can't really tell until well into a walk (or several walks) of course, but at least if they aren't obviously out of kilter to begin with the chances seem better. It is one reason I like boots with flat soles below the footbed; they don't mess up the profile of the chosen insoles and so allow them to work as intended.

I've avoided excessively supportive arches before, either going for medium ones or else softer ones. But reflecting on that other thread I've decided to pay more attention to circumstances; still using routine walks to keep my arch-strength built up, but on longer ones providing more support. I can tell my feet start getting a bit longer than is normal after somewhere between about 15 and 20 miles (or at least my toes can!), so possibly my arches might be getting over-tired by then. They aren't getting any younger!
« Last Edit: 10:58:11, 23/03/21 by Kev06 »

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:52:24, 23/03/21 »
I prefer to choose the size that fits my actual foot shape best - the quoted shoe sizes don't seem so important in trim-to-fit models - thats what I meant by trying them. I still can't really tell until well into a walk (or several walks) of course, but at least if they aren't obviously out of kilter to begin with the chances seem better. It is one reason I like boots with flat soles below the footbed; they don't mess up the profile of the chosen insoles and so allow them to work as intended.

You will find the size range quoted for each insole are accurate. The subtle difference between the sizes other than the obvious length differences is the positioning of the arch support on them. If this is too far forwards or too far backwards on them you will definitely have problems which can turn into a world of arch pain in a very short period of time.

The crucial things that you need to look for are that with your heel positioned in the heel cup the arch support should be positioned directly under your arch and the shape of the arch support on them should closely follows the shape of your arch (hence the low, mid or high model variations). When you've finished trimming them to fit there should be a finger's width or around 15mm of empty space in front of your toes - this allows for any expansion of your feet during the walk and prevents any toe bang at the front of the boot. If you haven't got this empty space your boots are too small for your feet.

Kev06

« Reply #9 on: 15:04:09, 23/03/21 »
Yes thats largely what I was alluding to. Potentially to get the arch position correct, I may need a bigger insole than its nominal boot size might suggest. Though I suppose the opposite might be true in some cases (and more of a problem, if smaller insoles don't have enough spare for a bigger shoe). Either way, it isn't a given that an insole for a given size of boot will necessarily fit my foot best and I'm around the threshold of two sizes so could potentially need either.

My foot shape at/before the little toes doesn't curve inward as typical footware always seems to assume, so I tend to compromise between boots that are already a little too large and having less little toe space than would be ideal. It works provided I remember to tighten up the laces on prolonged downward sections, but (partly due to the damage left by shoes at a young age) it is always going to be the weak area, where I notice things first. As well as reducing feet spreading on long walks, I'm hoping a decent arch will help to further reduce feet sliding forward, too.

Though looking online at various things related to fit and injury prevention, I've ended up going down a rabbit hole and deciding that even after decades I don't know how to walk properly to begin with :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy