Author Topic: sleeping bag for dogs  (Read 885 times)

federete

sleeping bag for dogs
« on: 20:19:53, 27/03/21 »
Hi,

I am planning on bringing my dog with me for a night in the mountains. What would you recommend to keep him warm in the night. I've seen sleeping bags for dogs in amazon, but am not sure whether they are enough and would love to know the opinion of experienced dog-accompanied hikers

Thank you,
Federico

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: sleeping bag for dogs
« Reply #1 on: 20:32:57, 27/03/21 »
What type of dog do you have?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

federete

« Reply #2 on: 21:30:05, 27/03/21 »
Medium size, 8 years old, mixed breed, loves hunting despite being totally unsuccessful. He doesn't stop running when in the wild, makes me feel so unfit...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:22:04, 27/03/21 »
I shared a tent for many years with my dog, a smallish mongrel.   He had a scrap of blanket to lie on.  If he felt cold he didn’t’ say.  The only downside was he woke me up by hitting me with his leg whenever he scratched.

I also had a friend who had a large dog that he used as a windbreak as it was too big for his tent and that made do with terra firma. Why do you think your dog needs a sleeping bag?
Solvitur Ambulando

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:35:30, 27/03/21 »
I've camped with several dogs over the years.

Dogs are hardy animals by and large, especially crossbreeds with thick coats.

Unless you're intending to camp in sub-zero temperatures the dog will be fine inside the tent as long as it's insulated from groundchill by a folded blanket or similar. If you're that bothered buy it a cheap dog coat.
Skip

Florence Lamb

« Reply #5 on: 07:58:39, 28/03/21 »
I camp with my dog and have camped with previous dogs over the years in all weathers. Never had a dog sleeping bag. Just had a small piece of mat and something to lie on.

Sevenup

« Reply #6 on: 09:07:42, 28/03/21 »
I have Vizslas. Thin coated dogs that feel the cold. I’ve had a couple of nights when they’ve felt the cold even with efforts to prepare. I have a couple of fleece coats that I carry (1 at a time) along with a cheap mock sheepskin mat I bought from Lidl or Aldi (one of them has dog stuff for sale at the moment). As a final resort, when it’s really cold, I carry a back up down Alpkit blanket/quilt thing which I will sacrifice to help keep my mutt warm. I’ve had to sub zero nights in the past year.

I am currently planning on experimenting with a Decathlon children’s fleece top which is better quality than any of the dog fleeces I have tried but needs some alteration to get round the dog leaving the tent for a pee and returning wet.

Like their human, my dogs appear happier with layering. However, space/weight are at a premium and, although they can carry their own food for a few days in bags across their back, I need to carry their rain jacket, pyjamas and anything else to keep them comfortable

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:29:22, 28/03/21 »
Unless your dog has a very short coat, it will be happy with a blanket to lie on, or an old fleece, whatever. I woudn't dream of providing a sleeping bag for our shaggy spaniel!

federete

« Reply #8 on: 09:34:01, 28/03/21 »
Thank you all, that's reassuring and simplifies things a lot. It seems am a bit overprotective :-)
I'll bring a blanket to lie on and will share my fleece on top. Now I just need to find somewhere to go (http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=41845.new#new [nofollow]) and double check the current restrictions, not sure this is allowed yet.

Lee R

« Reply #9 on: 20:25:08, 28/03/21 »
I think the big challenge would be getting our dog in the sleeping bag let alone her staying there all night  ;D

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:38:30, 28/03/21 »
Some years ago I read a book about someone training for and then competing in the 1000 mile Iditarod dog sled race across Alaska, which takes place in March (!) each year. I remember them gauging how cold the Arctic nights were by how many huskies they needed to take into their tent to stay warm!

federete

« Reply #11 on: 13:36:32, 29/03/21 »
Wow, thinking of the number of hushkies to keep you warm sounds like very extreme wild-camping

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy