Author Topic: Smartphone apps: handle with care  (Read 1979 times)

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
Smartphone apps: handle with care
« on: 21:07:54, 01/10/12 »
Smartphone apps: handle with care
Posted by                    Ed Douglas                    on                    29/08/2012
Real maps for real mountaineers                        The increasing number of hill walkers being rescued after relying on smartphone apps for navigation has prompted a rash of negative newspaper headlines. Can our love of technology really be that bad? Ed Douglas discovers there’s no substitute for a map and compass.
   The Guardian’s report couldn’t have been less equivocal. “Hill walkers have been warned not to use smartphone apps to navigate in the Scottish mountains after the police had to rescue 16 people who got lost in the Cairngorms,” the newspaper said.
https://www.thebmc.co.uk/smartphone-apps-handle-with-care?s=3
Discuss ;) ::) :)

robstubbs

• Veteran Member
Re: Smartphone apps: handle with care
« Reply #1 on: 21:13:12, 01/10/12 »
Discuss, why ?  It's a recurring question that has been done to death numerous times on here.  I'd refer you to all the other threads on smartphones, but the list would be too long  :-X .

Rob.

Fellwanderer

« Reply #2 on: 21:18:42, 01/10/12 »
Photo taken on the parliamentary group's walk up Blencathra last September - friend of mine in the red jacket. No, he's not an MP!
214/214 264/282

Madmax Jnr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:25:46, 01/10/12 »
I notice that the guy on the left is wearing a triple-point jacket from Lowe Alpine - looks like he is getting his money's worth!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy