Author Topic: Get the most from your GPS  (Read 1518 times)

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
Get the most from your GPS
« on: 11:08:48, 06/10/12 »
Get the most from your GPSWalking
19 July 2012 12:34
New to the world of GPS? Or looking to boost your GPS skills? Here are two simple videos to help!  
In 'The Beginner's Guide to GPS', you'll get a basic introduction to what a simple GPS unit does, and how it can liven up any walk – especially if you've got young explorers in tow.  
http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/Videos/Search-Results/Walking/Get-the-most-from-your-GPS/

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Get the most from your GPS
« Reply #1 on: 13:10:12, 06/10/12 »
Nice simple guides ... thanks for the link  O0
Where there's a will ...

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:14:35, 06/10/12 »
And thank you to yourself and others I appreciate the positive responces O0

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:53:34, 07/10/12 »
Good post.I can particularly realte to the second video as the terrain is very similar to my area of the north pennines.My Legend has kept me on the right track many times in these areas where there is a row but no actual path.Wish I could afford the gps with a camera he was using!

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:20:24, 07/10/12 »
Glad you enjoyed it. while it is nice to have a camera with GPS, you can just either note down your grid ref when using a camera at a particular photograph or just save the location on your GPS, noting the grid ref etc..  The specifications of cameras change so fast these days that this years must have can become next years last season special..

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:53:40, 07/10/12 »
Good post.I can particularly realte to the second video as the terrain is very similar to my area of the north pennines.My Legend has kept me on the right track many times in these areas where there is a row but no actual path.Wish I could afford the gps with a camera he was using!

The Montana is a nice GPS but IMHO too expensive and too bulky for use as a walking GPS, to me the Etrex is as big as I want to go  O0
Where there's a will ...

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:12:09, 07/10/12 »

The Montana is a nice GPS but IMHO too expensive and too bulky for use as a walking GPS, to me the Etrex is as big as I want to go  O0
The etrex is as big as I can afford O0

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:00:07, 07/10/12 »
A worthwhile link. I do wonder how many folk have GPS units but do not really have an understanding of how they work or the available features, and end up just using them for recording distance and ascent.
roll on the weekend

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:03:14, 07/10/12 »
A worthwhile link. I do wonder how many folk have GPS units but do not really have an understanding of how they work or the available features, and end up just using them for recording distance and ascent.
Sure you are right and its a shame because plotting routes etc is not difficult once you know how.I keep all my completed walks witn notes about what went wrong etc and it has allowed me to refine walks which I have led.

robstubbs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:03:16, 07/10/12 »
Sure you are right and its a shame because plotting routes etc is not difficult once you know how.I keep all my completed walks witn notes about what went wrong etc and it has allowed me to refine walks which I have led.
I suspect most of us use them slightly differently and for different purposes.  For example I have no interest in plotting a route to follow, mostly because I prefer following paths rather than looking at the screen, and secondly I rarely stick to the intended route, I'll more often than not, adapt it on the fly.

Rob.

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:04:07, 07/10/12 »
I suspect most of us use them slightly differently and for different purposes.  For example I have no interest in plotting a route to follow, mostly because I prefer following paths rather than looking at the screen, and secondly I rarely stick to the intended route, I'll more often than not, adapt it on the fly.

Rob.
Know what you are saying but I rarely actually look at the screen when walking-prefer looking at the world.But it is handy in remote places and great for keeping a historical record O0

CumbrianDan

« Reply #11 on: 21:58:05, 14/10/12 »
Thanks for the link!  :D  I have just posted to our schools geocaching clubs moodle page  ;D

Dan

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy