Author Topic: The new Salomon Quest 4 Gore-Tex (Replaces Quest 4D 3 GTX)  (Read 4152 times)

Z3man

Has anyone tried or thinking of trying the new Salomon Quest 4 Gore-Tex boots.

https://www.salomon.com/en-gb/shop-emea/product/quest-4-gore-tex.html#color=27019 [nofollow]

They have replaced the Quest 4D 3 GTX, which i believe were one of the best selling boots in the uk.

I have two pairs of these and they are by far the most comfortable boots i have come across. But i have two issues with them, they are not totally waterproof, but aren't too bad, they only get really soaked when the going gets tough and you are in wet conditions for a long time, or are in long wet grass.

But my main gripe with them is that the Contragrip soles are very poor, they have very poor grip in the wet and are very dangerous on wet rocks, hardly any grip at all. They aren't that brilliant in the dry either, but are just about acceptable.

So i would love to hear from anyone that has owned the 4D 3 GTX and is now trying the Quest 4 Gore-Tex. I am hoping they have improved the sole, but looking at the pictures they both look to have very similar soles, but you never know they might have changed the compound which wouldn't be visible. That's what i am hoping anyway.

These would be the perfect boot for me if only they would put a decent sole on them.
« Last Edit: 17:38:43, 12/02/21 by Z3man »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I like Salomon boots, they are just perfect for my feet. I had a pair of high boots but I found they rubbed my skin raw just above the ankles. I now have a pair of Ulta X's, slippery but comfortable. I have no faith in the waterproof ability, all of mine have leaked.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
This might be worth a read but I think you are going to be disappointed with the sole https://outdoorsmagic.com/article/salomon-quest-4-gtx-walking-boots-deep-dive/

The outsole features the kind of lugs you’d want to have on a boot for tough terrain, particularly the muddy stuff we get in the UK, and there’s also a decent heel brake for that extra reliability on the downhill. Salomon have used their classic Contragrip here, a rubber compound that’s well regarded for its traction across a range of surfaces.

Salomon obviously take absolutely no notice of customer comments and independant reviews.

The comfort of the boot is not in question but the inability of Salomon boots to remain waterproof for any period of time certainly is and is something any prospective buyer needs to take into account when deciding if they are the right boots for them.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Just as an aside... my wife loves her (previous version) Salomon boots. They've been leaking badly for a year or more, so she always wears waterproof socks!

I had a pair that leaked after a very short time and I exchanged them for a new pair that also leaked after a very short time (and I exchanged them for another brand!). I'm a fan of Salomon shoes, but not their boots.

As another aside... I've had four pairs of Salomon shoes with Contragrip soles so far and I've found them to be nicely grippy.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Z3man

Oh well, that's a bit disappointing, looks like they have used virtually the same sole. >:(

Looks like i will be sticking with my 4D 3 GTX's and carry on getting them resoled with a Vibram sole like i have been over the last couple of years. Once you get a Vibram sole fitted on them they are an amazingly good boot.

Once the Quest 4's come into stock at Go Outdoors i will still go and check them out as i am curious to know if they are still as comfortable as the 4D 3 GTX's.

Ronin83

This might be worth a read but I think you are going to be disappointed with the sole https://outdoorsmagic.com/article/salomon-quest-4-gtx-walking-boots-deep-dive/

Reviews like this are so pointless. No one seems to ever want the tackle the fact that they are notoriously not waterproof, despite it being common knowledge in forums etc.
Clearly the thing people really want to know is, are these ones actually waterproof!?

Z3man

Reviews like this are so pointless. No one seems to ever want the tackle the fact that they are notoriously not waterproof, despite it being common knowledge in forums etc.
Clearly the thing people really want to know is, are these ones actually waterproof!?

I know what you mean, i read this review earlier on the 4D 3 GTX, they gave it an 8 for traction and a 9 for waterproofing.
  https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/shoes-and-boots/hiking-boots/salomon-quest-4d-3-gtx [nofollow]

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy