Author Topic: Photographers Question & Answers corner  (Read 87888 times)

Nomad

• Veteran Member
Re: Photographers Question & Answers corner
« Reply #45 on: 14:40:05, 11/10/11 »
I use DSC Colour Labs in Manchester.

They offer some good advice re monitor calibration and printing results.

The idea is to send off a small order to check against your monitor but they will also send you a monitor calibration print and profile CD in advance if required. I'm happy with the results from this company. O0

A little info from their web site - more from here http://www.dscolourlabs.co.uk/quality_advice.cfm
Editing your Files.
Edit your images in a standard working space such as Adobe SRGB not a printer profile.
Working spaces are designed for editing images, printer spaces are not. From this point you have a file that can be sent to any printer. If you are sending your files to our lab please convert files to our profiles in Photoshop by selecting Image/Mode/convert to profile and then select our profile which will be in the list. For users of Photoshop CS2/3/4 choose Edit/convert to Profile.
For further information on ICC Profiles and colour management etc the following site is very informative www.drycreekphoto.com
An image that looks bright and clear on your screen should produce a perfect print. If an image is dark and dull on your screen this may produce a disappointing print. Generally, most digital cameras produce excellent quality results these days, without having to edit or enhance the image at all. The best way to set your screen to our system is to have an order printed and then check that the prints match your screen.

Once you have received your prints, adjust your monitor brightness and contrast to get as close as possible to the print in your hand.
If you require a monitor calibration print and profile cd in advance of your first order click here
Click here to see our calibration image.

Hope this helps
Tony

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 15:24:23, 11/10/11 »
Thats handy because that is the company I use - a 10 min drive around the corner for me O0

The prints are great quality.

Willowisp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 15:58:37, 11/10/11 »
The best way to set your screen to our system is to have an order printed and then check that the prints match your screen.

Once you have received your prints, adjust your monitor brightness and contrast to get as close as possible to the print in your hand.
If you require a monitor calibration print and profile cd in advance of your first order click here
Click here to see our calibration image.

So does this mean take a shot as jpeg have them print it and then adjust from there?
I think I will ask for the package you say they send. I have used these guys for prints before they are good and not to pricey.
Ta for the info that is excellent

Have just e-mailed to ask for there calibration stuff. Fingers crossed
« Last Edit: 16:09:15, 11/10/11 by Willowisp »
Willowisp - Beasty known for leading folks astray
Aka
Dan from Surrey don't you know. what what...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46705169@N06/

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 17:08:51, 27/11/11 »
I have just posted on a topic, where the conformation of the pictures have made a complete nonsense of the post. Four consecutive images all sized 600px wide by photoshop were downloaded to picture bucket, which managed to alter the image size in the process.

I resized the images in picture bucket to 600px wide but the post has remained as it was.

My question is;
do the pictures become embedded into the site when they are downloaded from the host site, so if I were to erase pictures from my host site would they still appear on this website?
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 17:19:29, 27/11/11 »

My question is;
do the pictures become embedded into the site when they are downloaded from the host site, so if I were to erase pictures from my host site would they still appear on this website?

no, there'll be a blank box where the photo used to be.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 17:27:19, 27/11/11 »
I thought so, thanks O0

Problem is having resized my pics in PB the conformation in the forum has not changed.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

robstubbs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 18:01:36, 27/11/11 »
I thought so, thanks O0

Problem is having resized my pics in PB the conformation in the forum has not changed.
That's just a cached image - refresh (F5) and you should see the resized one. 

Rob.

bear.cub

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 10:34:38, 04/12/11 »
I have a box full (guesstimate 500) of colour negatives and slides that I would like to convert to digital.
Question
Can anyone recommend a cost effective commercial company or method of converting to digital?

I've never known such a bear for getting in a mess. Mr Brown referencing Paddington Bear

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 12:51:52, 04/12/11 »
Try here Bear Cub  http://www.dscolourlabs.co.uk/index.cfm and click on Film Services. I use this company for prints etc and seem reasonable on price  O0

bear.cub

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 15:42:30, 09/12/11 »
Thanks Nomad, apologies for not acknowledging earlier.
I've never known such a bear for getting in a mess. Mr Brown referencing Paddington Bear

percy hughes

« Reply #55 on: 12:05:07, 20/04/12 »
ok my freind percy hughes in leeds west yorkshire here with a question how do i sir a novice at both computing/digital photography get  photos up on the groups page thanking you percy

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 12:32:53, 20/04/12 »
ok my freind percy hughes in leeds west yorkshire here with a question how do i sir a novice at both computing/digital photography get  photos up on the groups page thanking you percy

Read the guide at the top of the photographers thread O0

treehugger

• Account Closed
« Reply #57 on: 19:25:59, 09/10/12 »
May be the answer is on this page but not seen it. QUESTION: how do i resize photos to insert in to a TR? Got a photobucket page thing, but would like to place some shots in a trip report. Thanks.

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 23:02:14, 09/10/12 »
I had to re-size mine before uploading to tinypic to get them to fit on another forum, so you could try doing that.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

yorksgal

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: 23:11:10, 09/10/12 »
May be the answer is on this page but not seen it. QUESTION: how do i resize photos to insert in to a TR? Got a photobucket page thing, but would like to place some shots in a trip report. Thanks.

I upload to tinypic too and you can choose what size to upload them, maybe try this site as I know it is possible on there.  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy