Author Topic: BEST AREA TO STAY WHEN DOING HELVELLYN?  (Read 16215 times)

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
BEST AREA TO STAY WHEN DOING HELVELLYN?
« on: 18:19:14, 21/02/11 »
Hi All

Me and a mate are thinking of doing Helvellyn and Striding Edge for the first time end of March and I could do with some advice please re the following:

1. What is the best route up and where is the best place to start from?

2. Which is the best or closest area to Helvelylln to stay, e.g. Keswick, Ambleside, Grasmere, Windermere etc?

Many thanks in advance  :)

Steve
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

'Brothers, what we do in life, echoes in eternity'

dellwalker

• Veteran Member
Re: BEST AREA TO STAY WHEN DOING HELVELLYN?
« Reply #1 on: 18:39:23, 21/02/11 »
This is the route of the classic walk, up Striding Edge to Helvellyn, back down Swirral Edge.
http://www.walkingbritain.co.uk/walks/walks/walk_b/1156/

When I did this route with my wife and kids we camped at Brothers Water. A good campsite with the Brothers Water pub on site. Otherwise we would have camped in Glenridding but the camp site had a bikers event on.

sam40

« Reply #2 on: 18:51:23, 21/02/11 »
Got to be glennridding campsite or bunkhouse mate you can leave you car there and the walk starts from there  O0 

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:06:25, 21/02/11 »
Steve

I drove past The Brotherswater Inn the other day and they have extended their winter offer of £20 per person for bed and breakfast at the Inn which is excellent value I reckon.

If you pick up the Kirkstone Pass road from Bowness and just carry on down the pass the Brotherswater Inn is on the left hand side. You are then only 10 minutes drive away from Glenridding to start your Helvellyn walk.

Staying at the Inn also offers many classic walks straight from the doorstep.

Ah, after re reading your post I'm not sure if that offer will still be around at the end of March

barlos

« Reply #4 on: 23:44:31, 21/02/11 »
I stopped at the Gillside campsite in Glenridding for the Helvellyn meet-up last April: http://www.gillsidecaravanandcampingsite.co.uk

It's ideal really, the path up to Striding edge passes right by the entrance to the campsite. It's £7 a night, £1 for your car. Only £2 more than parking in the Glenridding carpark for the day :)

Pearsy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 01:03:40, 22/02/11 »
Hi Steve

Can personally recommend all of the above ( given a choice i would camp at Sykeside (the campsite Dellwaker mentioned above) as its a tad quieter and behind the brotherswater arms which is an excellent pub) plus:

If you are minted, stay at the Inn on the Lake in Glenridding.

Pooley Bridge (other end of Ullswater) has a few places to stay and loads od reasonable campsites.

Theres a YHA in Patterdale and some kind of bunkhouse at Greenside mine in glenridding if you want cheap and cheerful.  As for B&B i can't say as i'm not a great fan of those, however if you can get in the brotherswater for £20 i would be in like flynn as the ale and the food are superb.

As for the route.  given a free choice i'd go from Patterdale to the hole in the wall and up striding and down swirral and return via the Travellers rest and glenridding.

Have a great time.  My favourite mountain O0 its a beauty.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:30:58, 22/02/11 »
We've done Helvellyn from both Patterdale and Helvellyn YHAs.

I'm quite happy to go up either Striding or Swirral but I don't like coming down them and so, personally, would go another route.

dellwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:08:33, 22/02/11 »
I am not too keen on coming down Striding Edge (only did it as a 12 year old with school and our teacher "Wild" Bill Hockenhull) as I think it is more difficult that going up it. I don't like heights at all but Striding Edge doesn't bother me. Swirral Edge is much easier and if my wife can come down it then you will have no problem Steve.

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:38:10, 22/02/11 »
Thanks for all your comments so far. Problem I have is my mate isn't really a walker. I mean he can walk, he's a Postman for a start, but he doesn't really like ruffing it and I don't think camping or bunk barns would be his thing, if you get my drift.

So it would need to be a B&B. Looking at staying at Penrith, Windermere or Ambleside as these appear to be the closest.

Any other suggestion would be most welcome  :)

Thanks

Steve
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

dellwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:01:48, 22/02/11 »
I would stay in Glenridding so I didn't have to drive anywhere, it is a nice place, very definately worth staying there. The posh pub on the lake (Where the TV series "The Lakes" was filmed) has a hikers bar. Did a search for accommodation glenridding and this is the first item up
http://www.dalesandvales.co.uk/accommodation_directory/lake_district/0084-glenridding/index.html.

There were more results

radder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:14:59, 22/02/11 »
Stopped at the Queens Head in Troutbeck a couple of weeks ago Steve, Highly recommended if you can get it at the right price on L*******S and has excellent food and is only 10 minutes from Glenridding  O0

Also with being March there may well be still Snow and Ice up on Striding edge at that time of year. so without Ice Axe and Crampons you would have to do Helvellyn from another area IE Thirlmere ?

yorksgal

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:21:23, 22/02/11 »
Thanks for all your comments so far. Problem I have is my mate isn't really a walker. I mean he can walk, he's a Postman for a start, but he doesn't really like ruffing it and I don't think camping or bunk barns would be his thing, if you get my drift.

Have you asked him Steve about ruffing it in bunk house!!!

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:39:19, 22/02/11 »
Have you asked him Steve about ruffing it in bunk house!!!

Well when you put it like that it sounds a bit rude! lol  ;D

Trust me, he's a creature comforts sort of guy... ;)

Steve
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:41:17, 22/02/11 »
Stopped at the Queens Head in Troutbeck a couple of weeks ago Steve, Highly recommended if you can get it at the right price on L*******S and has excellent food and is only 10 minutes from Glenridding  O0

Also with being March there may well be still Snow and Ice up on Striding edge at that time of year. so without Ice Axe and Crampons you would have to do Helvellyn from another area IE Thirlmere ?

Sounds good Mark but I've been looking at Penrith. There are some good deals there, few pubs and even a nightclub! Also it's not that far from Glenridding area  :)

What's the difference then with doing it via Thirlmere?

Steve
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

yorksgal

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:41:54, 22/02/11 »

Well when you put it like that it sounds a bit rude! lol  ;D

Trust me, he's a creature comforts sort of guy... ;)

Steve

I trust you  8)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy