Author Topic: Two Days In Keswick  (Read 5106 times)

Gilly

Re: Two Days In Keswick
« Reply #15 on: 16:41:08, 21/08/11 »
We fell in love with Keswick when we went there in April for our 1st taste of walking in the area...
Though this year we stayed well clear of Skiddaw but next year its getting a visite from us....
It's a beautiful place and a fab area for walking.  My first walking trip was there too - Catbells and Castlerigg Stone Circle - lovely  :)
In the mountains there are only two grades: You can either do it, or you can't.

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:24:29, 21/08/11 »
My son and I were there last week.  Drove off from Essex at 4am on the Friday headed we got to Keswick at 10am, managed to get into the B&B early, got changed into our walking kit and headed to the launch to Hause End, I always said I would climb Catbells first and we did.  We headed along Derwent Water passing along to Mannestry woods found a little road which we followed and found a clearing, we had a chat with a resident who was trimming his Leylandi (no comments please), we took a route through the long wet ferns to the path half way up Catbells, Harris and I was soaked lol.  We continued to climb to the summit where it was raining like mad, but who cares we didnt and wow what a view despite the rain and a bit of mist.

Great memories for Harris and I he did so well no moaning, plenty of snacking though!! but it kept him happy.
There is a nice fish n chip shop in the middle of Keswick high street the fish was really fresh and white very tasty.
Great place, would highly recommend Glendale Guest House in Eskin Street.

Catbells, a truly lovely walk

dave-harris

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 21:31:59, 21/08/11 »
I may well do Catbells myself on Friday after i have pitched my tent. I can walk there from my campsite. Be a good warm up and a good stretch of the legs after driving up from the Garden overnight  O0

No rain though, i have specially request no rain. Met office have promised to see what they can do  :-\
I walk to live

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 06:29:36, 22/08/11 »
You should be able to Catbells easy, Harris and I had fun on the rocky bits along the ridge on the way down.  We met to old ladies who were so sweet they were in there 80's!! and still going strong, their secret to healthy long life 'simply Walking' and the view from the top of Derwent Water is superb just hope you have a clearer day than we did.  O0

Gilly

« Reply #19 on: 10:51:41, 22/08/11 »
Sounds like you had a great time there Catbells.  I only started walking again around four years ago and think of all of the times I visited Keswick and now I wonder how I filled my time!  I'm making up for it now though and Keswick and the view from Catbells is one of my favourites.  Maybe it's the sentimentality of that's the walk that got me active again and now all the places I've walked to are thanks to that view!
I love the fish n chips from the place in the market square and more recently have been to Siennas a couple of times and the food was fantastic! Stayed in a few places, Stonegarth was good as was Allerdale house which is just across the road and also on Eskin Street but I'll give Glendale a try too  :)

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 18:50:55, 22/08/11 »
I've only been walking since March there you go, your never to old to start walking lol

Is Sienna's the pub that makes the huge 'Cow Pie's'???

Gilly

« Reply #21 on: 09:57:14, 23/08/11 »
I've only been walking since March there you go, your never to old to start walking lol

Is Sienna's the pub that makes the huge 'Cow Pie's' ???
What on earth is a cow pie?!

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 10:04:49, 23/08/11 »

I think its a beef pie

Gilly

« Reply #23 on: 10:14:41, 23/08/11 »

I think its a beef pie
Sometimes the answers are really easy!!  I was imagining all sorts of things there and thought it was going to be a mad creation!  Don't know about the cow pies but my partner had a wicked steak that was one of the best I've tasted and we guzzled a few pints of Skiddaw too  ;)

Sabredragon

« Reply #24 on: 14:17:13, 23/08/11 »

Is Sienna's the pub that makes the huge 'Cow Pie's' ???

The George Hotel by all accounts is the one for the "Cow Pie"....

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 17:58:38, 23/08/11 »

The George Hotel by all accounts is the one for the "Cow Pie"....

Thats must be it, apparently they are really massive pies!! Have you had one?

Sabredragon

« Reply #26 on: 19:06:03, 23/08/11 »

Thats must be it, apparently they are really massive pies!! Have you had one?

Sadly it was'nt one of the places we decided to dine in during our week in Keswick   :(
Which might of been a good thing as I ate far to much during our week there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 19:21:36, 23/08/11 »

Sadly it was'nt one of the places we decided to dine in during our week in Keswick   :(
Which might of been a good thing as I ate far to much during our week there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol it's so easy to eat loads when your on holiday  ::)

dave-harris

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 20:04:12, 23/08/11 »

Its a rather large pie. Sometimes with horns sticking out of it. Eaten mostly by Desperate Dan  ;D
I walk to live

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 20:07:09, 23/08/11 »
Its a rather large pie. Sometimes with horns sticking out of it. Eaten mostly by Desperate Dan  ;D

and saying mooooooo  ;D Flowerpot would like a cow pie! ;D ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy