Author Topic: Helm Crag Whats the Crack  (Read 5997 times)

Rhino

• Veteran Member
Helm Crag Whats the Crack
« on: 20:58:34, 02/04/14 »
So i am going to this place i keep hearing about somewhere called Helm Crag and last night i pulled out my central fells book and read a bit about it. AW never managed to get on the top of the Lion but not for lack of trying so where does this leave the avid AW fan such as me. Do you get up on top for old AW or do you stay at the bottom as a mark of respect?
Personally i feel a bit of a clamber coming on  ;)
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Helm Crag Whats the Crack
« Reply #1 on: 21:51:17, 02/04/14 »
It is up to you if you go up or not.
Unless your 13 year old son has just scampered up, then you feel the pressure

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:42:56, 02/04/14 »
Here's some silly old duffer who thinks he's a nimble young  climber :-[

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:00:34, 02/04/14 »
Wow, not bad for an 85 year old duffer, Karl  ;)   :)

I've never managed to get up the Howitzer Rhino. I wish my excuse could be that the rock has always been too wet  ;D
Hate will never win

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:25:16, 03/04/14 »
I did this for the first time in November 2013, it was wet and slimy and in those conditions in bendy boots I found it tricky, bearing in mind that I am an experienced mountaineer who has climbed well over 3000 extreme rock climbs.

If its dry it will be fine BTW think the easiest line is the RH side as you approach it.

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:32:48, 03/04/14 »
I thought it certainly looked tricky in the wet when I was up there last, so opted to leave it for another, hopefully drier day.
roll on the weekend

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:49:28, 03/04/14 »
Heres another old duffer on the Howitzer...  ;D

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:05:19, 03/04/14 »
It is up to you if you go up or not.
Unless your 13 year old son has just scampered up, then you feel the pressure

Ridge I take it you went up then mate lol

Here's some silly old duffer who thinks he's a nimble young  climber :-[

Good picture Karl and a good day for it.

Wow, not bad for an 85 year old duffer, Karl  ;)   :)

I've never managed to get up the Howitzer Rhino. I wish my excuse could be that the rock has always been too wet  ;D

April ive just watched you cross Crib Goch on one of Beef's vids so there must be something hard about it.

I did this for the first time in November 2013, it was wet and slimy and in those conditions in bendy boots I found it tricky, bearing in mind that I am an experienced mountaineer who has climbed well over 3000 extreme rock climbs.

If its dry it will be fine BTW think the easiest line is the RH side as you approach it.

midweekmountain its typical its forecast rain and drizzle for me tomorrow then, nothing is seldom easy and thanks for the tip on the way up.

I thought it certainly looked tricky in the wet when I was up there last, so opted to leave it for another, hopefully drier day.

Trenchfoot I am new to this so not over confident in any way and even though I am with a very experienced mate tomorrow if its too wet and slippy ill retreat to fight another day.

Heres another old duffer on the Howitzer...  ;D

Beefy with a bit of luck, good grip and a mars bar there might be another old duffer on it tomorrow  ;D

Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:10:58, 03/04/14 »
nice one, make sure you get a pic of yourself on the top mate  O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:51:46, 03/04/14 »
April ive just watched you cross Crib Goch on one of Beef's vids so there must be something hard about it.

To be fair I crawled across Crib Goch Rhino  :-[   ;D  I've twice attempted to go up the Howitzer but I just found one of the step ups too much for my little legs  ;D  It was dry but the rock is really smooth and I couldn't get any proper grip with my boots. I'm gonna go back sometime with my rock shoes and give it another go. Good luck but it looks as if it's going to be another wet weekend in the Lakes  :(
Hate will never win

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 07:44:44, 04/04/14 »
I've twice attempted to go up the Howitzer but I just found one of the step ups too much for my little legs  ;D

Does that mean you have not actually done all of the Wainwrights  :o

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 07:46:36, 04/04/14 »
'Wainwright' refers to the fell, not the actual summit.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:31:08, 04/04/14 »

To be fair I crawled across Crib Goch Rhino  :-[   ;D  I've twice attempted to go up the Howitzer but I just found one of the step ups too much for my little legs  ;D  It was dry but the rock is really smooth and I couldn't get any proper grip with my boots. I'm gonna go back sometime with my rock shoes and give it another go. Good luck but it looks as if it's going to be another wet weekend in the Lakes  :(
I'll make sure ya get up the howitzer next time Ape ;)

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:35:26, 04/04/14 »
I'll make sure ya get up the howitzer next time Ape ;)

Good for you beefy, I have never met Ape but I am sure she has the ability to summit Helm Crag, nice sunny day, take the rock shoes and it will b e a simple pad up.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:10:35, 04/04/14 »
Does that mean you have not actually done all of the Wainwrights  :o

For most people (including myself) touching the Howitzer rock itself is bagging Helm Crag, midweekmountain. AW himself never touched the top so I'm happy that I've done it.  :)
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy