Author Topic: Zip Off: Lakes Watch  (Read 3708 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Zip Off: Lakes Watch
« on: 21:51:37, 25/07/18 »
Zip Off - the facebook page set up to fight the Zip Wire proposals at Thirlmere have turned into Zip Off: Lakes Watch. They are as concerned as the rest of us that the LDNPA seems to have lost the plot with some of the ludicrous ideas they are bandying about in the Local Plan review.

Here is a link to the fb page, they have posted an article from the Keswick Reminder (approx. 20.40 25/7/18 for anyone reading this in a few days) about the meeting Richard Leafe had with the Above Derwent Parish Council last week - A bumpy ride for Gondola Plan

https://www.facebook.com/pg/zipofflakeswatch/posts/?ref=page_internal

The Friends of the Lake District have responded to the LDNPA - see it on their website, click on the LDNPA Local Plan Review tab
https://www.friendsofthelakedistrict.org.uk/pages/FAQs/category/hot-topic

Richard Leafe the Chief Exec of the LDNP seems to be the new Mike Turner, hellbent on ruining the Lake District, very alarming when he is supposed to be protecting it  >:(
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: Zip Off: Lakes Watch
« Reply #1 on: 22:45:13, 25/07/18 »
Thanks for posting this April - the current challenges to the national park are very concerning - we need to stay alert and ready to challenge decisions.

Petrolhead

« Reply #2 on: 22:53:38, 25/07/18 »
My god. I'm speechless. And so very very sorry to read this. I had no idea any of this was going on. I've read in detail some very shocking things there.

Visitor experience? It's so very upsetting to see how the whole world has gone absolutely money crazy. If they don't get enough out of the experience OMG LET THEM GO TO ALTON TOWERS.

How can the people in charge not see that ramming it as full as possible of people who don't care about it is the very reason most people love being there instead of other places? Surely this can't align with UNESCO principles? Can it???

Stunned. I can't even get my head around there not already being legislation in place that just means this is all dismissed entirely out of hand.

So sorry for all of you who are local. The world is badly broken.

Petrolhead

« Reply #3 on: 22:56:28, 25/07/18 »
Ps. I'm waiting until the morning when I'm annoyed (because I have to get out of bed) and more with it as I'm nodding off now but I'm definitely joining in on voicing my opinions. In every single place I can. My wife will too. Livid.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:14:58, 25/07/18 »
Just unbelievable isn't it.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:09:38, 26/07/18 »

Indeed; I found it hard not to swear when I read about the crass gondola proposal.

I suppose that they call it 'Sustainable Development'; anything but in reality.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:00:25, 26/07/18 »
we need to stay alert and ready to challenge decisions.

Constant vigilance! As Mad-Eye Moody would say

If they don't get enough out of the experience OMG LET THEM GO TO ALTON TOWERS.

Indeed

Ps. I'm waiting until the morning when I'm annoyed (because I have to get out of bed) and more with it as I'm nodding off now but I'm definitely joining in on voicing my opinions. In every single place I can. My wife will too. Livid.

Thank you Petrolhead. I hope you are feeling very annoyed, we all need to spread the word, this has gone under the radar a bit, the consultation phase finished on 29th June but I don't think the LDNPA can ignore us.

It is, Richard Leafe needs to get another job, he isn't fit to be in charge of the LDNP IMO

I found it hard not to swear when I read about the crass gondola proposal.

It is utterly ridiculous, this proposal
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:01:26, 26/07/18 »

After reading the 'Friends' link, I'm getting annoyed about the possibility of an underground nuclear waste store too; apart from other considerations, the geology is completely unsuitable.

Best place for that would be in the easily tunnelled and totally impervious London Clays in the geologically stable Thames Basin, preferably right under Westminster  >:D
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #8 on: 09:06:10, 26/07/18 »
Stunned. I can't even get my head around there not already being legislation in place that just means this is all dismissed entirely out of hand.

There is legislation already in place that should protect the National Park against inappropriate development, it's called the Sandford Principle, which states "If there is a conflict between protecting the environment and people enjoying the environment, that can't be resolve by management, then protecting the environment is more important."

http://www.nationalparks.gov.uk/students/whatisanationalpark/aimsandpurposesofnationalparks/sandfordprinciple

It seems to me as if the Lake District National Park don't put enough emphasis on this principle, which is why I'm thinking of becoming a member of The Friends of the Lake District.

Brandywell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:17:15, 26/07/18 »

Indeed; I found it hard not to swear when I read about the crass gondola proposal.

I suppose that they call it 'Sustainable Development'; anything but in reality.
In 2014 Steve Ratcliffe proposed that a cable car system could be built taking tourists from Bowness across the lake to Near Sawrey with a possible extension from there to Hawkshead and Coniston.  Another cable car could also take passengers from Windermere railway station down to Bowness to give, as he put it, "a wow factor on their arrival". Mr Ratcliffe was one of the tree top directors of the LDNPA where he was Chairman of the World Heritage Status Project Management Group and the Director of Sustainable Development. ???
Watch where you are putting your feet : AW

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #10 on: 09:53:30, 26/07/18 »
After reading the 'Friends' link, I'm getting annoyed about the possibility of an underground nuclear waste store too; apart from other considerations, the geology is completely unsuitable.

Best place for that would be in the easily tunnelled and totally impervious London Clays in the geologically stable Thames Basin, preferably right under Westminster  >:D

The CumbriaTrust has been battling against the threat of the underground Nuclear Dump for years and I really don't understand why the proposal is not more widely known about.   I'd have thought that the idea of building an underground nuclear dump, the size of Carlisle, 12km below the Ennerdale Valley would have prompted more discussion in the Press and within the Media than it has done.   

It may also just be a coincidence that United Utilities are having their water extraction licence, which allows them to take water from Ennerdale Lake, withdrawn in 2022 to protect wildlife.  Which means that they are currently having to build a massive £300 million pipeline from Thirlmere to supply water to West Cumbria.

http://cumbriatrust.org/

http://www.lakestay.co.uk/mussels.html

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:29:09, 26/07/18 »
One of those things where "they" try and convince folk they want something that most of them dont want!
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Petrolhead

« Reply #12 on: 11:53:26, 26/07/18 »
Spent about an hour moaning like crazy at everyone I can get in touch with. Including questioning UNESCO how they can continue to support the world heritage designation.

Has anyone set up a government petition for this yet? 100k signatures and it has to be looked at in parliament. Surely that should be easy with a bit of a social media push?

Anyone who has Twitter, Facebook or Instagram should be making their thoughts VERY clear on all the official park account, Richard Leafe's personal account, the National Trust, UNESCO and the UNESCOWH accounts. The more exposure this gets the more support it will have.

Off to write to all the broadsheets urging them to cover it more.

I see this as our Hetch Hetchy. Except maybe it's even worse. San Francisco just saw an opportunity to have some of the best drinking water in the world and jumped at it. Where as this is just driven by greed and the short sighted idiocy of an absolute charlatan chief exec who should be removed from his post for even considering any of this.

Yep, still livid.

Petrolhead

« Reply #13 on: 11:56:31, 26/07/18 »

There is legislation already in place that should protect the National Park against inappropriate development, it's called the Sandford Principle, which states "If there is a conflict between protecting the environment and people enjoying the environment, that can't be resolve by management, then protecting the environment is more important."

http://www.nationalparks.gov.uk/students/whatisanationalpark/aimsandpurposesofnationalparks/sandfordprinciple

It seems to me as if the Lake District National Park don't put enough emphasis on this principle, which is why I'm thinking of becoming a member of The Friends of the Lake District.

LL thanks for that. This is all new to me so I'm learning all the time.

That's pretty cut and dried isn't it? How can a national park not be carrying out the principles of a national park??? It's beyond my comprehension.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 12:25:04, 26/07/18 »
@ LL - I too have been meaning to become a member of the Friends of the Lake District, ever since I went on the Thirlmere Rally. Their principles seem to match mine. Shame the leader of the LDNP seems to have the principles of say the Mike Turner's of this world.

@ Petrolhead, thank you, we need to spread the word. These plans are just proposals at the moment but it is obvious a lot of money has been put into drawing up the plans. A waste of money if you ask me because surely most of it should not become reality.

I would like to think if Parliament got to hear of all of this it would be never happen. But the world seems to be going mad, so who knows.
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy