Author Topic: Whiteside and Hopegill Head  (Read 2184 times)

havenchris

Re: Whiteside and Hopegill Head
« Reply #15 on: 09:12:46, 29/08/10 »
Ive done that walk dibble, Its a cracker, fantastic pics  O0

Is the path any better down the bottom of the Gill ? lot of it was washed away by last years floods and was rather difficult in parts

Willowisp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 16:45:28, 29/08/10 »
Hey up looks like you had a fantastic walk and great weather. Your piccies came out really well and as others have said the light quality and your eye made them. Congratulations :)

Hopegill head is a special place for me as my wife agreed to marry me when I proposed to her up their :) Shame she wouldn't walk the ridge but the horse shoe was very pleasant and we had a great day.
Willowisp - Beasty known for leading folks astray
Aka
Dan from Surrey don't you know. what what...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46705169@N06/

carolina2k9

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:03:01, 30/08/10 »
absoloutely lovely pics, what wonderful weather!! :)
Happiness is only a Hill away :-)

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:37:16, 30/08/10 »
Is the path any better down the bottom of the Gill ? lot of it was washed away by last years floods and was rather difficult in parts

I didn't find it easy... and thought....oh what a difficult path to say we are so near the end of the walk!!!!

The first time I scrambled up higher and round, but the second time I adopted a sitting down movement where I lowered myself down each time.  I think that was easier for me!   O0
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 18:38:43, 30/08/10 »
Hopegill head is a special place for me as my wife agreed to marry me when I proposed to her up their :)

:)   That's really nice!   O0   I'll think of that next time I'm up there.
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 18:39:57, 30/08/10 »
absoloutely lovely pics, what wonderful weather!! :)

:)   Hello to you Caroline.   O0

Brandywell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 19:51:57, 30/08/10 »
Lovely photos Dibs.  If you are going to do those fells again I can recommend a circuit of Hope Gill.  Up by Dodd and down by Ladyside Pike.  There is a parking area above Hope Farm.  ;)
Watch where you are putting your feet : AW

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 21:45:22, 30/08/10 »
If you are going to do those fells again I can recommend a circuit of Hope Gill.  Up by Dodd and down by Ladyside Pike.  There is a parking area above Hope Farm.  ;)

I reckon that is the fascinating ridge I saw... and didn't know what it was.... it looked fab.
Thanks Brandywell for the idea of a continuing route, and also thanks for the hint about the parking.   O0

Sooz214

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 13:26:31, 31/08/10 »
Hi Dibs, cracking set of photos and thanks for reminding me of one I wanted to go back and do again - we had the superb views when we did it, but didn't get to enjoy the ridge really, as it was coated in ice when I went over last winter - spent all my time shuffling along rather too close to the ground than I would have liked  ::)   ;D
Let's go to places where mountains rub shoulders with heaven

havenchris

« Reply #24 on: 20:55:28, 31/08/10 »
I got pair of these last year for the snow and ice as i didnt fancy Crampons
would well recommend them ,great for popping on and off your feet
http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes.php

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 07:06:50, 01/09/10 »
http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes.php[/quote]

They look good, thanks havenchris.  O0

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 08:17:35, 01/09/10 »
Beautiful pics!

Been a long time since I've been up that way, but it brought back a lot of good memories.  :)

Sooz214

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 13:13:09, 01/09/10 »
http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes.php

Hi Havenchris - Thanks - aren't those microspikes great - we even thought they would be worth having in your pack for those really slippery grass slopes you can get in summer sometimes, although not sure what that would do to the spikes.  Not sure you can sharpen them??

I have crampons and the microspikes and like both, but going downhill, if it is quite steep -  I would choose crampons everytime.......from what I remember of the shuffle along the ridge though, it was coated in places with that nasty verdiglas ice (can't remember what it is properly called, but hard and invisible coating of clear ice) and didn't have crampons or microspikes with me ........ :-[   :-[

Pearsy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 09:54:37, 02/09/10 »
that nasty verdiglas ice

You were very close its called verglas and nearly took me off down the valley when I descended Mardale ill bell on the Kentmere horseshoe.  You can't see it either! well not till its too late.

glorious pics Dibble.

Sooz214

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 13:25:22, 02/09/10 »

You were very close its called verglas and nearly took me off down the valley when I descended Mardale ill bell on the Kentmere horseshoe.  You can't see it either! well not till its too late.

glorious pics Dibble.

thank you - yep sure is nasty stuff.....

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy