Author Topic: Cheap meals  (Read 12029 times)

brendan

Cheap meals
« on: 18:55:41, 19/07/20 »
Hi, Planning for my first week long hike and am looking at food. Has anyone a view on UK supermarket dried meals? The ones from Hiking sites are too pricey for me. Just been looking at Sainsbury's - they look promising and I'll test anything first but any thoughts/experience would be most welcome.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Cheap meals
« Reply #1 on: 19:30:44, 19/07/20 »
It was the Vesta dried meals that taught me to cook.  When I was left at home while my parents went away, mum always made sure I had a stock to see me through.  They were alright at first, but eventually I was forced to embellish them in an effort to make them more palatable and filling.
Therein lies the problem.  For a short time supermarket dehydrated meals might be OK but I would be surprised if they challenged or excited your palate or filled you up if you were using them as a primary source of nutrition in the long term.  They might be OK for a week though, with some added flavourings or extenders such as rice or pasta - but pub grub is better and lighter to carry.
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:54:12, 19/07/20 »
Compare the calories. You'll almost certainly find that the supermarket meals are much lower in calories than the hiking ones, and you need as many as you can get when you're walking for a week.

Agreed that the purpose-made ones are pricey, one of my two favourite brands charges £5 for delivery with no alternative, if I buy five that adds a pound to each one. However it's still much less than one would pay for a pub meal.

An alternative is dehydrating your own food, there have been informative threads on that on here, way back.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:05:55, 19/07/20 »
Just take pasta and rice. You don't really save any mass by taking dehydrated as you have to carry water, unless you filter from a stagnant pond.
Bacon and cheese are good for kilojoules, and mayonnaise has one of the best energy contents around.
« Last Edit: 07:07:48, 20/07/20 by SteamyTea »
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:32:51, 19/07/20 »
I have tried " Look what we Found"
Liquid meals .

Bought at Waitrose

Found them wholesome and tasty at very good prices .

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:29:52, 20/07/20 »
"Beanfeast" are not too bad, especially the bolognese. Pasta is easy to cook, cous cous even easier.

High energy density foods that don't need cooking are oatcakes (eaten with squirty cheese, vegetable pate or other such delicacy easily conveyed to the mouth), dried fruit and nut mix, dried kabanos (or other) sausage (the properly dried ones don't need refrigeration), peanut butter (transferred from heavy to a lightweight plastic container), smoked cheese, nut bars....
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:27:07, 20/07/20 »
"Beanfeast" are not too bad, especially the bolognese. Pasta is easy to cook, cous cous even easier.

High energy density foods that don't need cooking are oatcakes (eaten with squirty cheese, vegetable pate or other such delicacy easily conveyed to the mouth), dried fruit and nut mix, dried kabanos (or other) sausage (the properly dried ones don't need refrigeration), peanut butter (transferred from heavy to a lightweight plastic container), smoked cheese, nut bars....

You can add to that list

Flapjacks

The Higate ones (from B&M, Home Bargains etc) are very tasty, come in two sizes, and a variety of flavours (Cherry & Coconut, White chocolate coating, Milk Chocolate coating, Choc-Chip etc etc) and high in calories, and generally have a 6-month BB date.

The 'big ones' (120g) cost around 30p-35p and are 532 Kcals.
The 'small ones' (75 g) cost around 25p and are 330 Kcals

I keep a couple in each of my 24hr 'ration-packs'

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:36:23, 20/07/20 »
Home made flapjacks are even cheaper

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:38:59, 20/07/20 »
I have tried " Look what we Found"
Liquid meals .

Bought at Waitrose

Found them wholesome and tasty at very good prices .

I reiterate: along with other supermarket products they have far fewer calories than purpose-made hiking meals.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:35:47, 20/07/20 »
I reiterate: along with other supermarket products they have far fewer calories than purpose-made hiking meals.

Easy to add calories by adding extra pasta, or by nibbling oatcakes with the meal (450kcal/100g).

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 11:36:34, 20/07/20 »
You don't really save any mass by taking dehydrated as you have to carry water, unless you filter from a stagnant pond.
Generally not a problem in the hills. Or if using campsites with taps.
In the UK, I've never had to carry more than my drinking water for the day. In some areas abroad, yes. But then carrying water and dried food packed easier than less water and ready meals.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:38:57, 20/07/20 »
Two of my dried staples used to be smash and beanfeast. If wanting luxury, I added a can of red wine.
Super noodles come in dense bricks. I don't like the taste personally, but am told they are nice by others.
Cous cous based means are also an option if wanting variety.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:41:30, 20/07/20 »
A 120g pack of Bolognese Beanfeast contains 408 kcal. Once you add pasta, you could easily double that.

Edit - not too easy to find on the internet.

« Last Edit: 11:52:24, 20/07/20 by richardh1905 »

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:23:26, 20/07/20 »
Bean feast seems to not be made anymore. Not on Batchelors website. At the weekend we used granose dried soya mince and a packet of Coleman's spaghetti bol packet sauce mix. All vegan. I added a bit of chilli and cumin. Only takes 10 mins to hydrate no cooking needed pour on boiling water  put in your pot cosy. We have it with tesco instant noodles 14p ones don't use the packet of sauce with it. They take 5 mins to soften, just add boiling water
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:21:33, 20/07/20 »
Bean feast seems to not be made anymore. Not on Batchelors website. At the weekend we used granose dried soya mince and a packet of Coleman's spaghetti bol packet sauce mix. All vegan. I added a bit of chilli and cumin. Only takes 10 mins to hydrate no cooking needed pour on boiling water  put in your pot cosy. We have it with tesco instant noodles 14p ones don't use the packet of sauce with it. They take 5 mins to soften, just add boiling water

Good tip about the soya mince and bol sauce, April.

In the past, I've often had those packet noodles in a mug for a quick lunch at work - just pour on boiling water and cover the mug - job done in a few minutes.
« Last Edit: 13:44:09, 20/07/20 by richardh1905 »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy