Author Topic: Wild Camp  (Read 4458 times)

Skinny Walker

Wild Camp
« on: 20:24:59, 13/07/08 »
I am considering wild camping at Dean Head Stones (SK 13958 98167)

Anyone done it? Is there decent ground?
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

Skinny Walker

Re: Wild Camp
« Reply #1 on: 08:35:57, 25/07/08 »
I guess no-one has then.... ;D Well looks like I'll be a trailblazer :D

Has anyone passed that way and noticed whether there are any decent looking spots, or is it a total no hoper?
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:47:33, 25/07/08 »
I didnt answer this because I've never actually been to the spot in question.
I have, however, been all over the countryside around it and its a bit boggy, and generally  sloppy.. :-\
Dean Stones might be OK as its a rocky bit and these places often have small, flat green bits... but , as you say, it looks like you'll be the first.  You'll be able to let us know, so... 8)
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Skinny Walker

« Reply #3 on: 13:31:29, 28/07/08 »
Mike,

Just wanted to clarify that I wasn't being arsy on my previous post.  O0 O0 O0

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:07:20, 28/07/08 »
It didnt come across as being arsey Chubby.... until you read my reply, then it might look as though I thought you were being arsey...  but I didnt... babble.... (if you catch my drift!!!)

This sort of thing can be a bit of a problem with forum conversations.  No harm done, though eh?

Have you decided about going to Dean Head Stones?

Skinny Walker

« Reply #5 on: 08:33:42, 29/07/08 »
 :-\ Hmmmmm not sure whether to risk it or not.... :-\

Am considering Mermaids pool for an overnight instead (different walk). Although I hear this is quite popular. Or alternatively I might just go north to the pennines or the lakes

In essence I want to find a nice site as it is our first wild camp, and although I know I'll love it, I want my missus to catch the bug too.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:16:39, 29/07/08 »
I would say that Dean head Stones doesnt look specially promising if you wanted to gamble on the place being a good spot. You'd be best having a reccy before comitting yourself to such a spot, (I think)
The only good place Ive seen recently (now I put my mind to it) would be Cranberry Clough which you can identify by looking at the map in the walk on this forum titled "Howden Moors and Edges" in the Peak District section. I seem to remember thinking that it would be a good place at the time - fairly sheltered, a bit discreet, good water, nice grass, probably haunted(!).  You'd have to be discreet about pitching there as I expect that wild camping at the spot would be verboten, probably.
Have a look at a spot a 100 to 200 metres or so East of the main path/stream junction at the foot of the clough.

Skinny Walker

« Reply #7 on: 20:02:42, 10/08/08 »
Thanks for the info mike, scoped it out yesturday and it looks promising. I also came down Stainery Clough (about 2km NW of Cranberry) and there are a couple of lovely spots up there, although a bit of a tricky path up.

stevieboy378

« Reply #8 on: 14:46:30, 31/08/08 »
Bear in mind that wild camping in England is still technically illegal, and to avoid a knock on your tentpole in the middle of the night ( the worst thing that can happen is you'll be asked to move, but who wants to have to break camp and move on in the dead of night ? ), follow the wildcamping rules :-

Arrive late, preferably at dusk
Leave early
Leave no sign
No open fires
Don't make too much noise - sound travels well across quiet moorland at night
If you need to take a dump do it well away from any areas frequented by walkers, and bury it well

I've wild camped in the Peak District, Lake District and Snowdonia, and have never had any problems. I know people who have however, and usually its because they've broken 1 or more of the above "rules" and attracted attention to themselves.
Remember - if no one knows you're there they're not gonna mind you camping . . .
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ! . . .
. . . .except the weasels." - Homer Simpson

Steve Wilcox

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy