Author Topic: TR 25th May - A Howgills wander  (Read 8884 times)

karl h

• Veteran Member
TR 25th May - A Howgills wander
« on: 17:24:32, 26/05/20 »
My first drive to exercise today, and not wanting to visit any "honeypots" I headed for the wide open spaces of the Howgill fells. I found a route that didn't pass through any farms or even any gates.
There is a large parking area on the very narrow Fairmile road ( some parts of which date back to Roman times )  This is looking along the road to Fairmile Gate on a beautiful bank holiday Monday..
Looking down to the river Lune, the railway and the M6 from where I leave the road headed for the col of Back Balk to pick up a good path up the more gentle side of Lingshaw.. There looks to be a path straight from the parking area directly up the side of Lingshaw but it's to early in the day,  (and to early in the post lockdown fitness recovery ) for any direct ascents.
Dillicar Knott is the top with the mast and the top to the right is Greyrigg Forest which I visited in March.
Crossing the unmarked top of Lingshaw and I have to lose some height before the start of the long pull to Fell Head. This is my first time walking in the Howgills but the hills did remind me very much off the back o' Skidda fells and I did get the same feeling of although your destination looks a long way away it's surprising how the time it takes to get there is shorter than you think.
This lovely balcony path is to be my way back to the car when I return to the col between Lingshaw and Fell Head.
There is the col, I'll be coming in from the left later in the day.
The view back with the top of Lingshaw visible. Once up here you get that "walking along on the top of the world" feeling.
You can just make out the trigpiont on The Calf which is ( just about ) the highest of the Howgill fells.
On Fell Head now about to follow the wonderful high level promenade to Breaks Head.
I set off quite early in the day so the sun hasn't had time to burn off the morning haze but I can see Borrowdale in Westmorland with the wooded Mabbin Crag above. You can see the fire break through which the path passes to Ashstead Fell..
Unfortunately I now have to lose and then regain a couple of hundred feet, but again it's bark is worse than it's bite and I'm soon on to Bush Howe from where it's a fairly gentle uphill walk to the Calf.
The valley of Long Rigg Beck.
On to the Calf, the highest of the Howgill Fells at 676 mtrs. I retraced my steps as far as Bush Howe.
From where I could see a path shooting off to the right across the hillside which is not on the map but heads in the direction that I needed to go.
Following another quad bike track down to Over Sale from where I had intended to carry on to Docker Knott ( the next top along ) but once on the top of Over Sale I was overcome with lazyitis and elected to cut down the hillside to Blakethwaite Bottom.
Docker Knott and Blakethwaite Bottom.
I thought Great Ulgill Beck was a lovely spot with a couple of nice cascades and pools.
Lovely pool and falls in the beck. I spent a very nice few minute relaxing by the water.
After leaving the beck there is a steep little climb to the path contouring along Force Brow and the valley of Carlin Beck. These walkers have taken to the steep slopes to escape the valley where it meets the waterfall. It does look a bit precarious
Then again my path is not exactly the safest I've ever walked on. Amazingly a fell running family of Mum, Dad and two teenage daughters came bounding along here without a care in the world. I social distanced myself up the hillside and hung on to the grass.
The bare bones of the Howgills show through above Black Force waterfall.
Looking west along Carlin Gill
The M6 snaking it's way through the farm land to the south. Black Comb just visible top right.
On to the path contouring around the western slopes of Fell head.
Passing the very dry gully of Blind Gill.
Scafell, the Pike  and Great End in the centre of the picture with the Coniston group to the left and the distinctive "muffin" top of Great Gable to the right..
Nearly back to the car now after coming down Whin's End to Fairmile Beck and then the road.
Map
My route was
Parking area nr Fairmile Gate - Back Balk - Lingshaw - Fell Head - Breaks Head - Bush Howe - The Calf - Bush Howe - Wind Scarth - Over Sale - Blakethwaite Bottom - Force Brow - Whin's End - Fairmile Gate ( about 9.5 miles 2950 ft ascent )

GnP

• Veteran Member
Re: TR 25th May - A Howgills wander
« Reply #1 on: 17:37:18, 26/05/20 »
Such wonderful views. !
"looking along the road to Fairmile Gate"  A cracking scene.   O0

Karl , may I ask which image hosting site you use . ?
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:47:03, 26/05/20 »
Such wonderful views. !
"looking along the road to Fairmile Gate"  A cracking scene.   O0 

Thank you G & P O0

Karl , may I ask which image hosting site you use . ?

I have my own domain name and webspace through fasthosts which costs around £4.50 a month and £20 every two years to renew.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:50:59, 26/05/20 »
Thank you G & P O0

I have my own domain name and webspace through fasthosts which costs around £4.50 a month and £20 every two years to renew.
Ok, thanks.
Your images have superb tones & resolution.  O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:25:09, 26/05/20 »
Lovely pics Karl  O0 I don't fancy the balcony path meself  :o
Hate will never win

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:26:21, 26/05/20 »
There is a route up Carling Gill but is quite sporty.  IIRC it claimed a life a some winters back when someone tried to ice climb it.  Never got round to it myself before I left the area but a link here
https://bowlandclimber.com/2019/09/09/up-the-spout-carlin-gill-in-the-howgills/
Solvitur Ambulando

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:36:11, 26/05/20 »
Thanks April. O0
BTW I have gambled and bought a cheap train ticket to Ravenglass for the 3rd July. If we are free by then can you ask squeaky if she fancies a wild camp ;)

Ninthace, I read about that scramble and it does sound good but given the advice from the MR teams saying if you need them expect a long wait I decided against it :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:37:43, 26/05/20 »
Great set of photos Karl.
I can't quite get my head round the shot of the other walkers, it looks precipitous.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:09:57, 26/05/20 »
Grand clear pics of the velvety folds of the Howgills.  O0
The craggy outcrops and gills are lovely spots.

Brandywell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:43:30, 26/05/20 »
Great report Karl.  O0   We've only walked the Howgills once and started from Fairmile Gate, parking there were greeted by an aweful stench, on looking over a wall we were confronted by a pile of rotting sheep.  :o My memory of the walk route is a bit hazy but we did reach The Calf.  Your Fasthost package is a lot cheaper than  mine. :)
Watch where you are putting your feet : AW

One F

« Reply #10 on: 19:57:30, 26/05/20 »
Nice one Karl. Great place to spend time and social distancing is usually very easy in the Howgills, where keep 2m apart means 2 miles.

Brought back some poignant memories of a great day out just over 9 years ago, when we did descend by Black Force down in to Carling Gill and a few of the group managed a bum slide where it got a bit too steep. Ah, the folly of youth  8)  The TR for 2011 is here http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13329.0   if you fancy a quick peek although apologies for going off topic a little bit.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:59:57, 26/05/20 »
Great stuff again.  O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:33:37, 26/05/20 »
Stunning.  Funny you mention Ravenglass as I'm literally (tonight!) planning a route from there for when we've got out of 'lockdown' proper!

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:41:34, 26/05/20 »
Great set of photos Karl.
I can't quite get my head round the shot of the other walkers, it looks precipitous.
Thanks Ridge O0  I think the long range view did make it look a lot more dodgy than it was. I watched while they all made it safe ground thankfully.

Grand clear pics of the velvety folds of the Howgills.  O0
The craggy outcrops and gills are lovely spots.

Thanks VG..velvety folds sums up the Howgills perfectly O0

Great report Karl.  O0    We've only walked the Howgills once and started from Fairmile Gate, parking there were greeted by an aweful stench, on looking over a wall we were confronted by a pile of rotting sheep.  :o My memory of the walk route is a bit hazy but we did reach The Calf.  Your Fasthost package is a lot cheaper than  mine. :)
Thank you John  O0  I did have to get out of the car a couple of times to herd sheep off the road so perhaps the dead sheep were ones that wouldn't move. ( and I'm off to double check my fasthosts account now  ;D  )

Nice one Karl. Great place to spend time and social distancing is usually very easy in the Howgills, where keep 2m apart means 2 miles.

Brought back some poignant memories of a great day out just over 9 years ago, when we did descend by Black Force down in to Carling Gill and a few of the group managed a bum slide where it got a bit too steep. Ah, the folly of youth  8)  The TR for 2011 is here http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13329.0  if you fancy a quick peek although apologies for going off topic a little bit.

Hi Kevin mate long time no see, hope you are keeping safe and well :)
That Tr didn't half have some names from the past including a couple of forum legends

Great stuff again.  O0 
Cheers Pleb O0  Great walking in the Howgills less  chance of bumping into the riff raff if you know what I mean ;D

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:45:06, 26/05/20 »
BTW I have gambled and bought a cheap train ticket to Ravenglass for the 3rd July. If we are free by then can you ask squeaky if she fancies a wild camp ;)

Squeaky says yes as long as A + B can come because someone has to carry her food  O0

I truly hope we have been let out of prison by then  :(
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy