Author Topic: Hugh Seat/Mallerstang query  (Read 4655 times)

lightweightmick

Re: Hugh Seat/Mallerstang query
« Reply #16 on: 00:07:00, 05/03/20 »
For the GPX file itself in text form, you could try PasteBin.

I've never used it myself, quite amazing after so many years of being aware of it, but it seems it couldn't be easier: to post a block of text you don't need an account, just paste the text into the textbox and hit Create New Paste.
Then I assume it gives you a link to your Paste.

Be a pioneer and let us know if it works  :)

Incidentally, I checked the options and this board doesn't permit attachments to posts.
Never been a pioneer before lol...

I opened the plot (.gpx) in notepad... will it work..?

https://pastebin.com/FTYxiFus
« Last Edit: 00:30:40, 05/03/20 by lightweightmick »
Use a smiley ...you know it makes sense

lightweightmick

« Reply #17 on: 00:09:16, 05/03/20 »

It do... what's to do the..? - save it as .gpx and run it in a compatible file viewer... do let me know!
Cheers  O0
« Last Edit: 00:31:24, 05/03/20 by lightweightmick »

lightweightmick

« Reply #18 on: 00:11:14, 05/03/20 »
It do... what's to do save it as gpx and run it in a compatible file viewer... do let me know!
Cheers  O0
I tried to run it in GE Pro but it won't do a fly through... do I need to run it through GPC converter to KML..?
Be good just to get a feel for the lie of the land...

lightweightmick

« Reply #19 on: 00:14:18, 05/03/20 »
A little light browsing turned up these routes dropping W off Mallerstang edge just by browsing the OS site:
https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/3363732/High-Seat-alternative
There were more but I stopped looking - over to you.
Yes - thanks,  O0 - most helpful - the first one shares a similar line to mine from the cairn on the edge to the Old Road track - I'll cross over and continue to Elmgill over Howe Side (this is the very lowest (S) end of the Mallerstang Edge ridge
Hope the raw GPX is useable...
Google Earth Pro shows that I should get a good view of that cairn from Hugh Seat (Lady's Pillar) and I should be able to cross Red Gill at the point where the quad track stops (there are tracks all over thereabouts, which indicates possible solid ground, though O/S shows boggy nearby)
 A trod (N of Hell Gill) begins on the other side soon after turning downstream traceable all the way to the sheepfold and the cairn and N/S hill bagge'rs track is not far away.

Gonna need a recce though as I could well be descending in failing light. If I get delayed, I could put down somewhere near there with water from the gill...
« Last Edit: 00:29:33, 05/03/20 by lightweightmick »

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 05:58:33, 05/03/20 »
I opened the plot (.gpx) in notepad... will it work..?

Yes that worked fine.
I just hit the Download button which saved it as a .txt file, changed the extension to .gpx and imported into Memory-Map.  O0
That seems as good a descent line as any.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 08:30:53, 05/03/20 »
Raw GPX file..? Sorry, I don't have an image only hosting whatsit..? For some reason I'm blocked from instagram... never used it lol

I recommend imgbb - nice and simple, free, and no ads.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

lightweightmick

« Reply #22 on: 08:43:21, 05/03/20 »
Yes that worked fine.
I just hit the Download button which saved it as a .txt file, changed the extension to .gpx and imported into Memory-Map.  O0
That seems as good a descent line as any.
O0

lightweightmick

« Reply #23 on: 09:03:25, 05/03/20 »

I recommend imgbb - nice and simple, free, and no ads.

Cheers. Yep, that was easy enough...  O0

https://ibb.co/mhB4f9y

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 12:36:51, 05/03/20 »
OK, just got back from having a weather window slammed in my face and have translated your file to a trace on the OS map.  The fence line at Hugh Seat is an easy to locate landmark.  The going by the fence line as you approach it is boggy but normally passable.  If you are coming from the east, you may need to scale the fence, I do not recall a stile.  Lady's Pillar is downslope from the angle in the fence but is easy to see once you set off from the fence so it makes a good final fix before you start your off piste run.
I have been as far as Lady's Pillar a few times, I wasn't looking for down slope path but I do not remember one so if you have a gps, this wold be a good time to use it as I expect you will be forced off line from time to time on the way down and you do not want to end up on the wrong side of a gully.  On the plus side, it is a downslope route so you should be able to see the geography ahead of you.

Edit to add:  Looking at the map, if it was me I would follow the line of Red Gill a bit further to pick up the cairn at 795987.  This would line you up with the reentrant  contours to take you WNW to clear the heads of the watercourses above the track.
« Last Edit: 13:16:00, 05/03/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

lightweightmick

« Reply #25 on: 14:32:32, 05/03/20 »

Edit to add:  Looking at the map, if it was me I would follow the line of Red Gill a bit further to pick up the cairn at 795987.  This would line you up with the reentrant  contours to take you WNW to clear the heads of the watercourses above the track.

If I were to recce, I'd also look for a line more or less due west over Currick from 811988 (where the fences meet as I'm coming from Shunner Fell) but I would expect Hell Gill would be wider and harder to cross lower down. These places don't get their names from a whim... (though maybe I expect it's what comes further downstream that gives rise to the name...) I wouldn't want to spoil a long day sat ars-deep in a gill - that would be a bit hellish lol

My concern is more with the first bit from Lady's Pillar to Red Gill... though I can't imagine it could be worse than Bretherdale... still sends a shudder that one lol

cheers though, thanks for the input  O0
« Last Edit: 14:35:46, 05/03/20 by lightweightmick »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 14:56:52, 05/03/20 »
If I were to recce, I'd also look for a line more or less due west from 811988 (where the fences meet as I'm coming from Shunner Fell) but I would expect Hell Gill would be wider and harder to cross lower down. These places don't get their names from a whim... (though I expect it's what comes further downstream that gives rise to the name...) I wouldn't want to spoil a long day sat ars-deep in a gill - that would be a bit hellish lol

My concern is more with the first bit from Lady's Pillar to Red Gill... though I can't imagine it could be worse than Bretherdale... still sends a shudder that one lol

cheers though, thanks for the input  O0
This is my route for Bretherdale, I went up it and you are right, there were parts where I cursed the map maker.
https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/1912676/141203-Bretherdale-Birbeck-Fells
Hell Gill is best crossed on the bridges provided lower down.  It runs in a steep sided gully for most of its length and by the time it comes out at the top and is wide enough to attempt a crossing, you are into Black  Fell Moss.  Coming across from Great Shunner Fell - never done it but there is a sort of route along the watershed following the fence line.  Although, there are no marshy areas marked on the OS, I bet it will be fairly boggy.  I have done a rough plot and can see the odd trod here and there and plenty of peat.  You will be off piste but you have a handrail. The drop off the side of Shunner Fell looks like "fun" and will be wet where it flattens out on the N side of the fence.
Solvitur Ambulando

lightweightmick

« Reply #27 on: 23:34:28, 05/03/20 »
This is my route for Bretherdale, I went up it and you are right, there were parts where I cursed the map maker.
https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/1912676/141203-Bretherdale-Birbeck-Fells
Hell Gill is best crossed on the bridges provided lower down.  It runs in a steep sided gully for most of its length and by the time it comes out at the top and is wide enough to attempt a crossing, you are into Black  Fell Moss.  Coming across from Great Shunner Fell - never done it but there is a sort of route along the watershed following the fence line.  Although, there are no marshy areas marked on the OS, I bet it will be fairly boggy.  I have done a rough plot and can see the odd trod here and there and plenty of peat.  You will be off piste but you have a handrail. The drop off the side of Shunner Fell looks like "fun" and will be wet where it flattens out on the N side of the fence.
Breast High Road for me... I never plan to set foot in the hell hole of Bretherdale ever again... I reccied it and still got it wrong - those damn flies didn't help either... I'm not even going to look at your plot 'case I get tempted... no, Breast High and Borrowdale... there's no advantage other than the summit memorial...

Can't see following a fence worse than Wainwrights White Mossy Hill..? Sealskinz from Shunnert then maybe?

Thanks for the Hell Gill info though - all the more reason to stick with the upper end with a Red Gill crossing then..?
May need to tax the van early this year...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy