Author Topic: Seeking advice on Scotland walks  (Read 2860 times)

spatialguy

Seeking advice on Scotland walks
« on: 14:24:52, 07/05/08 »
Hi folks!  I'm new here, and was after some recommendations for some walks that could be done over a couple of weeks in (predominately) the Highlands in early June.  My hiking partner and I are planning to head to Glasgow and spend some time walking in a few different areas.  We've got a couple of challenges, namely a low budget, no personal transport (but may be hiring a car for a few days) and moderate fitness.  We're looking at a few day walks (Goatfell on Isle of Arran, Glencoe and others around Fort William, Loch Lomond summit etc) but are keen to find out about accommodation in these areas and ease of getting to/from the start of these walks without a car.  Also, we'll have a tent with us but nothing in the way of cooking gear (as we're not planning overnight stays in remote areas).

Any suggestions for some cool day walks in these areas, or other parts of the western or central areas of Scotland?  Any tips on getting around on the bus/train network?

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: Seeking advice on Scotland walks
« Reply #1 on: 16:55:44, 07/05/08 »
Just on the Arran question - very expensive to take a car on the ferry there, but the train from Glasgow connects with the ferry and Goat fell is within easy walking distance of the ferry terminal at Brodick.  You could probably get cheap tickets if you bought them on line in advance.   There's also a decent bus service on the island and also quite a good footpath network if you wanted to explore a bit - you could probably walk across the island in two or three hours.   I'd say that you'd be OK without a car on Arran.
Save your money and fritter it away on beer is my advice. O0... supposed to be on holiday after all!
Cracking hills there too... well worth the effort of getting there...

« Last Edit: 16:57:44, 07/05/08 by mike knipe »
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Ian s

• Veteran Member
Re: Seeking advice on Scotland walks
« Reply #2 on: 10:33:39, 12/05/08 »
The Glencoe / Fort William area area is pretty easy to get to by public transport, there is a good range of hostels, bunkhouses, and campsites. Oh, and great walking!

Throughout the Highlands you'll find that getting to the "major" centres  by public transport is not too bad but getting around to the trailheads and back to your accommodation can be a bit tricky.

Hence I 've suggested Glencoe -  you can walk into the glen from the campsite (Red Squirrel) near the Clachaig Inn (food and beer). There is a reasonably regular local bus up to Fort William and there are always other walkers to potentially hitch a lift further afield.

Skye is also a possibility -  although more remote there is a good regular bus service forom Glasgow passing the campsite at the Sligachan hotel, which does breakfasts and evening meals. No shop there tho...
The walking available from Slig is superb, but the mountains need to be treated with respect and call for experience (as they do everywhere in the Highlands, but here especially).

Enjoy!

Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy