Author Topic: Phone Brand  (Read 5451 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Phone Brand
« Reply #15 on: 12:47:47, 06/04/21 »
I started buying Xiaomi a few years ago now, my first one was a Mi5s, it's now my dedicated hiking phone. I've never had a contract phone. My 'other' phone, for when I'm at home is a Redmi 8T, again a fantastic model, its only drawback is that it's heavier than the Mi5s.

I too use Giffgaff and it has served me well. Both of my phones have 2 x SIM card slots, one slot is for a Giffgaff Sim but the other slot is for a Three SIM. This SIM is data only, £60 for 2 years paid for in advance internet. If I buy one month of data it's £10 for one gigabyte but if I buy 24 gigabytes in one go it works out as £2.50 per month. Assuming of course that I don't use more than 1 gigabyte in a month which I don't. When I'm hiking this data package is ideal for my needs.

Hawkeye

« Reply #16 on: 13:40:24, 06/04/21 »
I started buying Xiaomi a few years ago now, my first one was a Mi5s, it's now my dedicated hiking phone. I've never had a contract phone. My 'other' phone, for when I'm at home is a Redmi 8T, again a fantastic model, its only drawback is that it's heavier than the Mi5s.

I too use Giffgaff and it has served me well. Both of my phones have 2 x SIM card slots, one slot is for a Giffgaff Sim but the other slot is for a Three SIM. This SIM is data only, £60 for 2 years paid for in advance internet. If I buy one month of data it's £10 for one gigabyte but if I buy 24 gigabytes in one go it works out as £2.50 per month. Assuming of course that I don't use more than 1 gigabyte in a month which I don't. When I'm hiking this data package is ideal for my needs.

Just curious as you why you wouldn't use Giffgaff for the data? I pay £10 per month and get 9gb data with that and all calls and messages included.

Glad to see another Xiaomi fan. I am really stunned by what you can get for the money with Xiaomi.

What case do you use for your hiking phone, or don't you bother?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 15:46:06, 06/04/21 »
I rarely reach 1 Gb of data used in a month so having 9Gb available that runs out after 30 days is of no use to me. I prefer to buy the 24 Gb in advance then I can use it more or less at my choosing.

I don't use a case, I used to but I got bored with it, I now keep my phone in a pouch around my neck and it's always available for instant use.

For me, the only downside of a Xiaomi phone is their MIUI programme. Some people like it but I just park it in a folder and download other apps.

I do like the 'second space' facility, it means I can 'hide' apps and if lost or stolen it's another hurdle (another password needed) that has to be overcome if someone tries to access them.

Do other Android phone brands have a 'second space' I wonder?

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 16:24:06, 06/04/21 »
I don't use a mobile phone as phone, other than where it is required for some bank apps. So I just have a prepaid SIM (bought like 10 years ago for £5) and keep it alive by making the mandatory once per 6 months call to my own landline! Grin

Never used phone data. I don't even know if it works. All I ever use is the wifi.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Little Foot

« Reply #19 on: 17:17:49, 06/04/21 »
I've been looking at cheaper smart phone brands as there's been a few good deals on HotUKDeals that have caught my eye over the last couple of weeks.

The phone I have now is a Samsung S8 which, even though it has had the battery replaced, hardly lasts half a day with slight use. I've read the latest Samsung flagship phones are similar with regards to battery life so that's why I'm put off. There's not point in having a top phone if you have to switch a lot of features off.

The cheaper ones always lack something though and feel like a step backward when comparing, despite their battery life being very good. Things like good ram, NFC for payments, Gorilla Glass 6 or above and wireless charging are what I feel necessary, plus the very important GPS. I've also heard mixed reviews for their operating systems, it feels like a real 50/50 between people finding the OS slow, glitchy and not a smooth experience compared to the high end phones where it's a lot smoother.

I'm with the network 3 btw. For £8 a month I get 12GB data and Ayce texts and calls.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 17:22:09, 06/04/21 »
I may be misunderstanding terminology but I thought buying data is the means to get on the internet?

I may operate like you or nearly the same? One SIM is £10 PAYG (Giffgaff) which I keep on my phone for emergencies and/or backup and for incoming calls, this money lasts for months. Does it mean from your method of making the mandatory phone call once every 6 months I can keep it going for years? If it does I didn't know this.

I then use my data SIM (Three) for everything else, Skype, maps, outgoing calls, use browser, etc.

I've convinced myself that having a contract phone in the main is a costly money-wasting exercise but I'm happy to be wrong.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 17:25:28, 06/04/21 »
Littlefoot, I've never believed I've had a problem but don't really know what to compare my phone against. My daughter-in-law tells me my 'cheap Android phone' is as good as her 'expensive' IPhone so that's good enough for me.

Little Foot

« Reply #22 on: 17:31:19, 06/04/21 »
Littlefoot, I've never believed I've had a problem but don't really know what to compare my phone against. My daughter-in-law tells me my 'cheap Android phone' is as good as her 'expensive' IPhone so that's good enough for me.

Well, I'm going to try the cheaper brand and if it I have trouble with it I can relegate it to be used solely for hiking with their batteries being a lot better.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 17:33:02, 06/04/21 »
Wisdom:
Don't spend tons of money on a phone. Instead, use your cash for nice walks and wild camps (or stuff that enables them, like a good tent, backpack etc). You'll build memories forever. A phone is just a phone.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 17:36:33, 06/04/21 »
.........The phone I have now is a Samsung S8 which, even though it has had the battery replaced, hardly lasts half a day with slight use. I've read the latest Samsung flagship phones are similar with regards to battery life so that's why I'm put off. There's not point in having a top phone if you have to switch a lot of features off.
You might want to check that - my Sansung A50 loses a bit over 10% of its battery in a day even when running ViewRanger for several hours.
Solvitur Ambulando

One F

« Reply #25 on: 17:37:48, 06/04/21 »
Just bought an OPPO A72 to replace a rather dreary and failing Moto 3g which I've had for a few years now. Don't use a landline anymore but do need 'face to face' facility for family abroad (and in the UK with lockdown restrictions). I'm not really wired for new technology and have great difficulty in setting up anything new - TV, phone, laptop, you name it. However, OPPO seems easy enough to get going and has plenty of memory, good battery life and a compass  :) ; no wireless charging though, but with fast charge that isn't a problem for me. Pay Smarty £7 per month for ?GB, free calls and texts, but usually receive a rebate of around £1.50 per month as I don't use my data allocation.

Reading up on smartphones before buying I did read that the latest 'cheaper' versions were as good as, if not better than, the top of the range models from 3 years ago. In the process of sorting out something like VR for mapping and route planning (found the thread on VR and OA enlightening and when I can fully understand what it says I'll take the plunge).

The A72 was £219 last summer, is currently £199 in John Lewis but if you look around it can be bought for £135

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 20:25:44, 06/04/21 »
I agree Birdman, it's just something to stick on one's ear.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 21:16:41, 06/04/21 »
I agree Birdman, it's just something to stick on one's ear.
A common misconception.  See post #10, they are to knock nails in.  I wonder how they are with tent pegs?   ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

Hawkeye

« Reply #28 on: 21:57:52, 06/04/21 »
I've been looking at cheaper smart phone brands as there's been a few good deals on HotUKDeals that have caught my eye over the last couple of weeks.

The phone I have now is a Samsung S8 which, even though it has had the battery replaced, hardly lasts half a day with slight use. I've read the latest Samsung flagship phones are similar with regards to battery life so that's why I'm put off. There's not point in having a top phone if you have to switch a lot of features off.

The cheaper ones always lack something though and feel like a step backward when comparing, despite their battery life being very good. Things like good ram, NFC for payments, Gorilla Glass 6 or above and wireless charging are what I feel necessary, plus the very important GPS. I've also heard mixed reviews for their operating systems, it feels like a real 50/50 between people finding the OS slow, glitchy and not a smooth experience compared to the high end phones where it's a lot smoother.

I'm with the network 3 btw. For £8 a month I get 12GB data and Ayce texts and calls.

Regarding the OS, I recommend you purchase Nova Launcher from the app store as it allows you to customise Android. I'm using it on my Xiaomi to override their MIUI and it works like a charm.

I bought this phone to replace my old Samsung S7 due to battery failure. This Xiaomi is exceptional. A brilliant purchase.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 08:08:36, 07/04/21 »
Wisdom:
Don't spend tons of money on a phone. Instead, use your cash for nice walks and wild camps (or stuff that enables them, like a good tent, backpack etc). You'll build memories forever. A phone is just a phone.

O0

..and a phone used for a multitude of other tasks is likely to be a phone with a flat battery when you need it in an emergency.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy