Author Topic: Phone Brand  (Read 5361 times)

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
Re: Phone Brand
« Reply #30 on: 09:46:59, 07/04/21 »
Interesting thoughts from everyone - thanks!  O0

I currently have a Galaxy A40, and battery life is better than any other phone I've had - which is not saying much as the most top-end phone I have had is an iPhone 7 from work. However, I agree with another poster who mentioned that the battery life while using eg: VR on flight mode was about 20% for a full days walk/navigation. So, no complaints there!

My main thought about going down a different route is not only about cost (although I'm thinking I can buy a handset and a SIM only deal that would cost no more than my current contract over it's 2 year span) but also that I'd like a more bomb-proof handset with great battery life for navigating in possibly tougher conditions than a day walk in Northants.

Having not experienced a "top-end" phone performance, I don't think I'd miss it - I'd be looking for performance more akin to my A40 (or better if I can) for using the few apps I do (Social Media, e-mail, phone, camera, Spotify, smart house apps, etc - no gaming or anything like that) with excellent battery life and the confidence that a wet day or an unforeseen accident isn't going to ruin the phone. I wouldn't want a massively heavy unit, but the potential bonus of a rugged unit might outweigh (no pun intended) the extra few grammes.

Xiaomi, Doogee, Ulefone, Oukitel and Blackview are all names that crop up during searches, so very interested to hear the experiences of users of any of these.   

GP  O0

Little Foot

« Reply #31 on: 19:06:23, 07/04/21 »
You might want to check that - my Sansung A50 loses a bit over 10% of its battery in a day even when running ViewRanger for several hours.

Yes it's very poor, especially since it's supposed to be a new battery. It got replaced when the back of my phone was coming apart. I'm unsure if I got ripped off. It's not all bad though. I can always carry a big, heavy battery power bank with my slim and sleek expensive phone.  :-\

Wisdom:
Don't spend tons of money on a phone. Instead, use your cash for nice walks and wild camps (or stuff that enables them, like a good tent, backpack etc). You'll build memories forever. A phone is just a phone.

You have a point there, considering some cost the same as a cheap car, and guess what I need?

Interesting thoughts from everyone - thanks!  O0

I currently have a Galaxy A40, and battery life is better than any other phone I've had - which is not saying much as the most top-end phone I have had is an iPhone 7 from work. However, I agree with another poster who mentioned that the battery life while using eg: VR on flight mode was about 20% for a full days walk/navigation. So, no complaints there!

My main thought about going down a different route is not only about cost (although I'm thinking I can buy a handset and a SIM only deal that would cost no more than my current contract over it's 2 year span) but also that I'd like a more bomb-proof handset with great battery life for navigating in possibly tougher conditions than a day walk in Northants.

Having not experienced a "top-end" phone performance, I don't think I'd miss it - I'd be looking for performance more akin to my A40 (or better if I can) for using the few apps I do (Social Media, e-mail, phone, camera, Spotify, smart house apps, etc - no gaming or anything like that) with excellent battery life and the confidence that a wet day or an unforeseen accident isn't going to ruin the phone. I wouldn't want a massively heavy unit, but the potential bonus of a rugged unit might outweigh (no pun intended) the extra few grammes.

Xiaomi, Doogee, Ulefone, Oukitel and Blackview are all names that crop up during searches, so very interested to hear the experiences of users of any of these.   

GP  O0
I wouldn't mind testing out the Land Rover phones as they seem extremely durable compared to most. It's definitely one I've been thinking about, but I'd want it to have good GPS too. The only other thing to do is get a phone which has an excellent indestructible case.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 19:15:31, 07/04/21 »
I have a Blackview BV6000, which I've loaded with Memory Map using OS mapping. I only use it as an 'Electronic Map' though, as I carry a Phone and Garmin GPS as well. It has a 4500mAh battery which lasts me several outings. Sometimes it's on all day, sometimes only when I need a bigger screen and more detail on the map. It's fully waterproof and very tough. I also have a SIM from a different network to my main phone fitted to use as a spare / backup if required. All in all I'm very happy with it.
My only criticism of it, is that the charge socket is in a deep pocket that standard leads don't reach. It does come with a suitable lead though.
Having seen mine in action my hiking buddy got himself the same set up and is also pleased with it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 19:29:59, 07/04/21 »
I just have a normal PAYG phone and I have never felt the need for anything more.  It has a supermarket leatherette case which protects it for the normal drops and stops the screen getting scratched.  If there is at risk of it getting really wet I do have a waterproof holder which I can still use the touchscreen through. The phone spends 99% of its time in my pocket, either in my Craghoppers thigh pocket in normal weather or in my jacket map pocket in wet weather.  The waterproof pouch is only really used when it is going to be minus canteen in the mountains and snow.
In normal, for me, use the battery lasts ages and recharges really quickly. The intitial purchase was quite an outlay but PAYG has proved to be cheaper than any contract I have read of on these pages. 
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 09:20:16, 08/04/21 »
I just have a normal PAYG phone and I have never felt the need for anything more.  It has a supermarket leatherette case which protects it for the normal drops and stops the screen getting scratched.  If there is at risk of it getting really wet I do have a waterproof holder which I can still use the touchscreen through. The phone spends 99% of its time in my pocket, either in my Craghoppers thigh pocket in normal weather or in my jacket map pocket in wet weather.  The waterproof pouch is only really used when it is going to be minus canteen in the mountains and snow.
In normal, for me, use the battery lasts ages and recharges really quickly. The intitial purchase was quite an outlay but PAYG has proved to be cheaper than any contract I have read of on these pages.

100% with you on PAYG.  Even really basic smart phones are very capable these days and those cheap leatherette cases are idea as long as it's not hammering down.  I do have a history of busting tech though. So I tend to by cheap second hand phones of feabay. 

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 09:47:23, 08/04/21 »
I used to get cheap phones like Moto G range but they kept breaking. I have a Macbook for work and so got an iphone mostly just to see how all the icloud syncing stuff works and TBH I do like it a lot - better than other phones I've had. Battery life is pretty decent and I'm always going to take a charger with me anyway, just in case.

I do not trust the waterproofing on any phone, no matter what the adverts claim, given the number we've had in the house that have been ruined by being dropped in toilets etc! So for me, a waterproof case is the thing when it's going to be wet.

If you buy an refurbed iphone from somewhere like iOutlet and look after it, you can sell it for a good price a year or two later and it hasn't cost you much. Apple fans pay stupid prices for old tat. I sold an iMac from 2008 for over £100 recently. Ridiculous but worth bearing in mind in terms of the actual cost of ownership - assuming you don't lose it of course.
« Last Edit: 10:02:32, 08/04/21 by NeilC »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 10:06:33, 08/04/21 »
I have a Moto G version one and a version two are for me they go on forever. They never leave the house nowadays so I just use them for different banking online accounts.

I'm loath to throw them away and am always looking for good ideas as to how to make good use of old phones that still work well.

Casual Ambler

« Reply #37 on: 11:23:02, 08/04/21 »

Just an FYI

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/06/1-billion-older-android-phones-vulnerable-hacking-report-claims-12359212/

Most of the cheaper phones aren't supported that well with security updates  and  as the report states this could leave you open to being hacked or data loss. It's only very recently the likes of Google and now Samsung have pledged to support their phones for a full 4 years of security updates and software updates. This is worth paying the extra for IMHO. The cheap Chinese phones may be well specced for the money but lack any real support past the first year.

Personally I've never bought a brand new phone  I trade in and get second hand phones from CEX  they are assessed as A B or C grade  and all come with 2yrs guarantee. Only had to use this once with a Windows phone that died one month short of the 2 yrs and they honoured the guarantee and gave me the current market value against a replacement phone. You can order online and have 14 days to assess the phone if not happy you can return to the local shop for a full refund including the postage or post it back. I must have bought 10 phones with them, returned some of them never a problem and currently have two phones from them which are top notch. You can also trade in your old phone for their vouchers towards another phone  or they pay less for cash. Highly recommended.

I never bother with the standard launcher  always install the Microsoft one  a great looking new image every day on the home and lock screen.
« Last Edit: 13:38:51, 08/04/21 by Casual Ambler »
quod tibi non vis fieri, alteri ne feceris

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 13:45:08, 08/04/21 »
I know that we are told about 'security updates' but as a complete dumbo when reading or hearing about such things I often wonder if they are real every time or just an encouragement/marketing ploy for us to buy a new phone?

Casual Ambler

« Last Edit: 15:19:16, 08/04/21 by Casual Ambler »
quod tibi non vis fieri, alteri ne feceris

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 15:15:39, 08/04/21 »
I know that we are told about 'security updates' but as a complete dumbo when reading or hearing about such things I often wonder if they are real every time or just an encouragement/marketing ploy for us to buy a new phone?
Far from it
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 23:55:07, 08/04/21 »
I used to get cheap phones like Moto G range but they kept breaking. I have a Macbook for work and so got an iphone mostly just to see how all the icloud syncing stuff works and TBH I do like it a lot - better than other phones I've had. Battery life is pretty decent and I'm always going to take a charger with me anyway, just in case.

I do not trust the waterproofing on any phone, no matter what the adverts claim, given the number we've had in the house that have been ruined by being dropped in toilets etc! So for me, a waterproof case is the thing when it's going to be wet.

If you buy an refurbed iphone from somewhere like iOutlet and look after it, you can sell it for a good price a year or two later and it hasn't cost you much. Apple fans pay stupid prices for old tat. I sold an iMac from 2008 for over £100 recently. Ridiculous but worth bearing in mind in terms of the actual cost of ownership - assuming you don't lose it of course.
My problem is I sit on them and break the screens. Bust three like that. I do the same with sun glasses. Never lost one or drowned one as yet.

I don't use my phone on line, so all though there is obveouly personal data on there. It"s photos and stuff. Not passwords or bank details.  I have my tablet that I'm using now, or several PCs dotted around the house for online. The phone is way too small for my fingers when trying to type anything of merit. But it is great for snap shots and the GPS is handy at times. 

I paid less than £40 for my current Samsung S5, topped it up well over a year ago with £20 and have £8.51 credit left. 

Must check the padlock on my wallet.  ;)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 17:40:58, 09/04/21 »
I use a phone pen when I'm typing on my phone, bought two from PC World, about £1 each.

I still have my two Psion 5 screen pens which for me are an ideal length but they don't work on my phone. I would like to find a way of changing the small hard plastic end for a soft rubber end to make them work, I've just never got around to it. But one day I will.

GoneWest

« Reply #43 on: 18:39:08, 09/04/21 »
I carry one phone normally and two if I'm out in the "wilderness".

The first phone is a Blackview A60, which is an Android phone equipped with several apps covering my interests, including walking. Of course I use its GPS, directly or indirectly, but I also have an ancient Etrex with me (plus map and compass) on anything which could be classed as an adventure.

My other phone, reserved for emergencies, is a Nokia 106. It's small, easy on the battery and utterly unsmart! I've recently installed an Anywhere SIM in it. This can use any of the four UK networks (EE, O2, 3 and Vodafone) - it picks the one with the strongest signal - but gives me just a single number; ideal for liaising with the emergency services. That comes at a high price per call, but who cares in an emergency? Have a look, here:

https://anywheresim.com/

If and when I go really off-piste again, I will reactivate my Inreach subscription. There's nothing like a bunch of satellites for messaging when all else fails!
« Last Edit: 20:03:06, 09/04/21 by GoneWest »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 18:53:02, 09/04/21 »
Anyone going walking should register their phone with the emergency SMS service.  An SMS may get through when a voice call will not.

https://www.emergencysms.net/
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy