Author Topic: Good News for Access to North Dartmoor  (Read 3654 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Good News for Access to North Dartmoor
« on: 18:14:37, 12/10/21 »
The regular rail service between Okehampton and Exeter is being reinstated from next month.  Initially there will be a train every 2 hours but the service will become hourly.  Great news for anyone coming down either to walk North Dartmoor or to walk NS or SN across the moor as it can be used to link to the station at Ivybridge.  The service disappeared in the 70s so it has taken a while to get it back!
Solvitur Ambulando

Skip

• Veteran Member
Re: Good News for Access to North Dartmoor
« Reply #1 on: 19:10:45, 12/10/21 »
Good news  :)

A shame the rest of the line can't be reinstated onward to Plymouth

Skip

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:29:12, 12/10/21 »
Good news  :)

A shame the rest of the line can't be reinstated onward to Plymouth

Difficult choice, railway or the Granite Way?
Solvitur Ambulando

Southwester

« Reply #3 on: 09:28:06, 13/10/21 »
Good news indeed.  The line from Plymouth to Bere Alston was never closed so the missing section is between Bere Alston and Okehampton. In the short term I cannot see this reopening ( not least because Meldon Viaduct would have to be rebuilt ) but the alternative route to Plymouth via Dawlish is under long term threat from sea erosion so maybe another 50/60 years it may happen!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:18:08, 13/10/21 »
There is also a short section of the Granite Way that is a Permissive Path that I believe actually gets closed for a short period each year.  Rumour Central says this is being held by the landowner as a ransom strip against the line returning.  No idea if that is true or not!
Solvitur Ambulando

freebird

« Reply #5 on: 03:47:52, 15/10/21 »
I cycled that bit of the Granite Way a couple of days ago, I think the notice says the track is unpaved for 230 metres. I walked the section as I was heading back to Tavistock & didn't want to risk a puncture.
Incidentally, does anyone know when & why the Harford Gate car park (SX 64337 59540) has been closed?     

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:54:46, 15/10/21 »
I believe actually gets closed for a short period each year.  Rumour Central says this is being held by the landowner as a ransom strip against the line returning.  No idea if that is true or not!
Annual closure is part of the strategy to ensure that a Right of Way is not created.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Southwester

« Reply #7 on: 10:18:05, 16/10/21 »
Incidentally, does anyone know when & why the Harford Gate car park (SX 64337 59540) has been closed?     

Freebird, have a look at this link : pilescopse.org.uk

freebird

« Reply #8 on: 19:41:38, 16/10/21 »
Thanks Southwester, always good to know the reason behind a decision. The video on the link is very informative.
I had a walk planned up to the Stinger Hill area & back along the Two Moors Way, but abandoned it due to a lack of parking in Harford area.
I parked at Shipley Bridge yesterday & had a walk around the reservoir & back along the tramway, I'll re-plan the Erme valley walk from there.

Southwester

« Reply #9 on: 08:40:51, 03/06/22 »
Planned a walk yesterday using the new rail service to Okehampton (I have not travelled this line for over 40 years). A walk from the station along the Granite Way to Sourton than back across the moor to Meldon reservoir and back to the station under the viaduct, around 11 miles.
Checked train times and any delays online before leaving home, all OK. Parked at Tiverton Parkway (approx £7!)
Arrived Exeter St Davids to find trains to Okehampton cancelled as line blocked - discovered there were cows on the line and a number had been hit by an early train.
Was offered a taxi to Okehampton, then told a coach service would be in place from Crediton, but no guarantees about returning as they could not be sure when line may reopen. I explained the reason for coming was to travel on the line and a very helpful lady offered a free return ticket to another nearby destination if I wanted. I chose Barnstaple as the  train was due to depart and I also had not travelled on that line again for a long time.
So a pleasant journey to Barnstaple, an easy flat walk to Fremington and return and back home by 6.
Disappointed but not a total write off. Will try again later in the summer. 

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:00:51, 03/06/22 »
If you want a nice leg stretch from Tiverton Parkway, there is a pleasant walk from there to Tiverton along the Great Western Canal.  Sometimes when the car was in for a service, we caught the bus from Tiverton to Parkway and then walked back.  Now the garage has lost the franchise so we take the car to Barnstaple and walk to Fremington Quay and back.
N.B.  The café at Fremington quay does a decent bacon bap.
Solvitur Ambulando

Southwester

« Reply #11 on: 10:54:12, 03/06/22 »
I have never walked the GWC but have cycled it into Tiverton a number of times from Samford Peverell.
I have stopped at the Fremington Quay cafe a few times - the food and situation are lovely. Unfortunately yesterday I already had a packed lunch expecting to have it at Meldon Reservoir!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy