Author Topic: Need insoles to reduce pressure on feet and ankles .......sorbathane ?  (Read 1897 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
In my case, I've only bought two types of boots. Some fabric types, one pair of Keen Targee 2's (comfortable, just a bit wide at the toe end for me) and three pairs of Salomon boots, my last two being Ulta X's, again all very comfortable. They all did their job well. The negative common feature for all of them was that they all leaked.

The other boots, three pairs, one after the other, were all leather and all have been Berghaus Superlights, no problems at all really, for me very comfortable and easy to live with. They only leaked around the 2 years use mark. Also, lots of bargains around, when I bought my last pair about 18 months ago they were priced at £120, mine was bought for just below £70. I found it was worth looking at online garden centres because that's where I bought them.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
I'm pretty sure he means the model of insoles you bought from Boots the Chemist......a link to the webpage would be helpful.  ::)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member

Taffy Walker

Ok, if the link works I bought these.

https://www.boots.com/boots-active-gel-insoles-1-pair-mens-size-8-13-10212276

Thanks gunwharfman

Did you follow what they said and remove the existing insole or place these straight into your boots ?

Thanks 😊

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
My inserts system might be a bit wacky to some but it works for me (except on my last walk, it didn't work at all) and it's based on having up to three inserts in my boots. These are, the inserts that are already in place at purchase, a pair of Sorbothane's, Boots or similar inserts and a pair of Boots thin cheap inserts. My normal socks are 'thick' but I also carry one pair of 'thin' socks with me as well.

Over the years I have noticed that during the course of a walking day my feet can feel 'big' and/or 'smaller.' It all depends on the hours that I walk, the temperature at the time, the terrain I'm walking on and whether I'm going up or down for long periods. Before going to sleep (I will more than likely be wearing my thin socks overnight) I will take my Sorbothane's out of my boots because in the morning I know my feet will feel 'bigger' for a while. In the morning my boots will be cold but they will be easier to put on because I will be using their maximum internal space. Then as I move around packing and so on the insides of my boots will warm up.

Once I'm ready to hike I will then change my 'thin' socks for thicker socks, insert my Sorbothane's, put my boots on and tie up my laces. I then hope to feel boot comfortable and can set off.

During the day, especially if it's hot I will mix and match my inserts to try to achieve maximum comfort. So if my feet feel 'bigger' I might take out my Sorbothanes and insert my 'thin' Boots inserts instead, or I might try other combinations to achieve the comfort that I want. So my three inserts at this point is 'thick,' 'thin' and 'thinner.' They give me so many combinations to choose from.

On a routine day, I have become pretty good at judging what combination of inserts is best for me but as I try to write about it now even I think it sounds a bit daft.

This system has been good to me until my last hike and I still don't know why I couldn't achieve my normal comfort?

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
@gunwharfman we've had this discussion before on more than one occasion but you simply refuse to believe or accept that what I'm telling you now and what I told you before is true.

Your "inserts system" is not just "wacky" or "daft" it is totally wrong. You are over complicating and over thinking the issue and getting it totally wrong.

FACT: Your feet are always, without exception, smaller first thing in the morning and larger in the evening as your feet swell gradually throughout a day's walking and are at their largest at the end of the day. It's the main reason most competent bootfitters recommend that you try new boots on or go for a bootfitting as late in the day as possible.

FACT: If you can manage to get 3 insoles on top of each other plus your thicker socks and your feet into your boots at the same time at any point during the day and still manage to walk without being totally crippled you have a major problem somewhere. Whilst I agree that it could possibly be useful to have 3 thicknesses of insoles with you there should only ever be one insole inside your boots at any one time.

I've told you on numerous previous occasions that your boots are too big and/or have too much volume in them for your feet. The reality is that your problem relates to the simple fact that your boots do not fit your feet properly!

I honestly can't believe that you're now trying convince someone else who is totally new to walking and is clearly already confused by this issue (or anybody else who may read this) that your "wacky", "daft" system is actually right.

Any competent professional bootfitter will tell you that what you are currently doing is wrong. ::)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
I agree with Kinkyboots.  The only time I have ever had more than one insole was when I wore an orthotic pad under my heel while recovering from plantar fasciitis.  I think most people put an insole into a boot or shoe to replace  the manufacturer's insole, which are often of inferior quality and wear out quickly.
Solvitur Ambulando

Taffy Walker

From my point of concern I simply cannot comment on the situation regarding inserts into serious walkers boots .....its something I know nothing about and my ankle injury means I won't be getting into that

I aim to be doing short 2 to 3 hour walks locally on preferably flat level ground of a tarmac or hard dirt track nature

Therefore any inserts would be going into low level walking shoes to reduce some of the impact , not deal with any pronation or the rigours of a afternoon yomp across the Black Mountains

I have a feeling the inserts suggested will be fine but I hope you understand I don't need too much technical wizardry  going on

Taffy Walker

My inserts system might be a bit wacky to some but it works for me (except on my last walk, it didn't work at all) and it's based on having up to three inserts in my boots. These are, the inserts that are already in place at purchase, a pair of Sorbothane's, Boots or similar inserts and a pair of Boots thin cheap inserts. My normal socks are 'thick' but I also carry one pair of 'thin' socks with me as well.

Over the years I have noticed that during the course of a walking day my feet can feel 'big' and/or 'smaller.' It all depends on the hours that I walk, the temperature at the time, the terrain I'm walking on and whether I'm going up or down for long periods. Before going to sleep (I will more than likely be wearing my thin socks overnight) I will take my Sorbothane's out of my boots because in the morning I know my feet will feel 'bigger' for a while. In the morning my boots will be cold but they will be easier to put on because I will be using their maximum internal space. Then as I move around packing and so on the insides of my boots will warm up.

Once I'm ready to hike I will then change my 'thin' socks for thicker socks, insert my Sorbothane's, put my boots on and tie up my laces. I then hope to feel boot comfortable and can set off.

During the day, especially if it's hot I will mix and match my inserts to try to achieve maximum comfort. So if my feet feel 'bigger' I might take out my Sorbothanes and insert my 'thin' Boots inserts instead, or I might try other combinations to achieve the comfort that I want. So my three inserts at this point is 'thick,' 'thin' and 'thinner.' They give me so many combinations to choose from.

On a routine day, I have become pretty good at judging what combination of inserts is best for me but as I try to write about it now even I think it sounds a bit daft.

This system has been good to me until my last hike and I still don't know why I couldn't achieve my normal comfort?

I have ordered 2 pairs of the boots inserts but I am also looking to buy better quality walking shoes

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
I'm pretty sure the Boots insoles in the link gunwharfman provided will be fine for your intended use. If for any reason they don't work for you you've only spent £10 and not blown a fortune

Just bear in mind that they will compress with use over time and won't last forever.

Taffy Walker

I'm pretty sure the Boots insoles in the link gunwharfman provided will be fine for your intended use. If for any reason they don't work for you you've only spent £10 and not blown a fortune

Just bear in mind that they will compress with use over time and won't last forever.

Indeed

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
The important thing as I see it is that my system works for me. It's something that I have developed for myself and I take the view that it's my comfort that matters. It's my view that my boots (both pairs) fit me really well and I am extremely happy with my situation and I know I have the distance walks to prove that my method has worked for me. Except for this year's experience (which I'm hoping was a one-off problem), I have had no problems for many a year with my boot comfort, my inserts, the method I have developed for myself and the boot sizes that I chose to buy. Of course, I've had a few aches and pains but nothing that's lasted, most have gone anyway after a nights sleep. If anyone walks for days on end for about 6-8 hours with a rucksack on their back I assume, unless I'm told differently, that 'your' way, 'his' way or 'her' way is particularly different to my experience of hiking. I have found my own way of enjoying my hobby, as I'm sure everyone else has, and for my part, I'm sticking with 'my way' until I personally decide to change it.

I freely admit did have problems at the beginning of my hiking experience (blisters etc) and I made the effort to learn from it. I had my feet measured for the second time and it just confirmed what I already knew (size 7 and a 'medium' width foot) but was happy to accept the additional advice that it would be best for me to buy women's boots which I have purchased ever since. I have no intention of changing what now works for me unless I personally make the judgment that a different way is better for me. I appreciate that 'my way' may not work for another person, each individual is different, their feet are not my feet, and they like me are free to choose their own way of getting what they want from their hiking experience and the equipment they decide to buy. I've developed my own system over time and I wouldn't presume to suggest that I know better than anyone else or that my way is better than anyone else.

If anyone chooses to believe that they can learn from my hiking experiences or from your boot knowledge, or to reject what either of us may have written, that is a personal decision for the reader to decide.

So thank you for your information, I will obviously compare and contrast my own view with yours but in the end, I personally will decide what to do, or decide what not to do about anything I buy or decide to do. The best I can offer is that I may change my mind about 'my way,' or I may decide to change nothing? That's a decision only I can make.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
The important thing as I see it is that my system works for me. It's something that I have developed for myself and I take the view that it's my comfort that matters.

Couldn't agree more.  The one thing I have learned having read many of these footwear threads is that there is no one correct shoe or boot or insole choice.  GWM's method does appear odd, but it works for him, and GWM has done some serious hiking.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
The one thing I have learned having read many of these footwear threads is that there is no one correct shoe or boot or insole choice. 
Actually there is. It's called the one that fits your feet the best and that answer never changes.

GWM's method does appear odd, but it works for him, and GWM has done some serious hiking.
Is is a lot more than just odd and he only manages to make it work because he finds it necessary to stuff his badly fitting boots with up to 3 separate insoles one on top of the other with thicker walking socks. He is not understanding that his incorrectly sized boots which clearly have too much volume in them for his feet are where the underlying problem is.

Any normal person would be crippled if they tried to put 3 insoles into a boot at the same time and that's if they could even get the boots on their feet. The whole industry from retailers, product testers, reviewers, bootfitters and the vast majority of forum members would all agree that this problem can only be resolved by buying boots which are the correct size and volume for his feet. Instead of buying the correctly sized footwear at the outset as usual he invents numerous "customisations" to make them fit.

Unfortunately my patience with him is now exhausted and I'm no longer prepared to waste my time trying to offer him any further help and advice. He is clearly incapable of understanding and accepting where the real problem is. 

pauldawes

• Veteran Member

Any normal person would be crippled if they tried to put 3 insoles into a boot at the same time and that's if they could even get the boots on their feet. The whole industry from retailers, product testers, reviewers, bootfitters and the vast majority of forum members would all agree that this problem can only be resolved by buying boots which are the correct size and volume for his feet. Instead of buying the correctly sized footwear at the outset as usual he invents numerous "customisations" to make them fit.

I suspect on this occasion at least you have misunderstood what GWM is doing.

He’s not said that he uses the three inserts at the same time!

He has three different thicknesses of inserts: thin, medium, thick…and uses them appropriately. At start of the day…when feet smallest, using a particular boot he might start with thick pair. As day goes on, his feet might swell…so he takes thick insert out and replaces with thinner pair.

With a different shoe or boot he might start with a different insert. Or on a different day when feet/ boot feel different he might use a different insert to normal.

This system gives an exceptional amount of flexibility, I think.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy