Author Topic: Tent Fabrics Options - what are their good and bad points...  (Read 977 times)

weston.front

Hello again

A number of fine folk asked if I could follow up my article on tent design with something similar on tent fabrics.  It took some research, but my first draft is now available.  My aim, as before, was to give an objective overview of all the options which is free of marketing hype and BS.  It turns out that my 8 years working with the material science of powders (mostly their wetability and water holding capacity) had a lot of cross over into the world of waterproof fabrics.  Perhaps I should not have been surprised.
Here it is:
https://westonfront.wordpress.com/2021/01/30/tent-fabrics-an-objective-summary-of-the-21st-century-options/

As before I'd be most welcome of feedback.
Following the road less travelled : westonfront.wordpress.com

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Excellent article, well researched and a good read.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

watershed

Thanks for sharing good clear descriptions.

I like the last point

"Remember that the lower price is a strength if it is what makes your adventure possible."

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
For the kind of camping that I do (and aspire to do - my winter camping plans are on hold for obvious reasons), 40d silnylon is the winner for me. High tear strength and stretching is a benefit in a storm!

Having said that, for a 2-3 season tent, 20d Silpoly would be tempting.

Not the slightest bit interested in Dyneema - way too expensive, and the worries about abrasion resistance are a big negative.

weston.front

Looks like I need to update this guide already as Vaude have brought out bonded Si-Nylon and factory seam taped Si-Nylon flysheet technology.  Allegedly unique to themselves at present

See : https://www.vaude.com/en-GB/Equipment/Tents/Lightweight-Tent/Space-Seamless-1-2P?number=144231820

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Nice 3 season tent, inspired by the MSR Hubba Hubba, no doubt. But I took a sharp intake of breath when I saw the price!

Regarding seams - probably stuck together with silicone. But although I have an unsealed seam running along the top of my silnylon tent, I've only ever has a few drips come through (which the solid inner caught) despite being out in some pretty severe weather. Not an issue, in other words, so I don't think that the Vaude tent is a game changer.

weston.front

Nice 3 season tent, inspired by the MSR Hubba Hubba, no doubt. But I took a sharp intake of breath when I saw the price!

Regarding seams - probably stuck together with silicone. But although I have an unsealed seam running along the top of my silnylon tent, I've only ever has a few drips come through (which the solid inner caught) despite being out in some pretty severe weather. Not an issue, in other words, so I don't think that the Vaude tent is a game changer.
Just something new to add to the list as to what is possible. If you look at their single hoop tent it is seamless and has an interesting approach to an all in one tent - the pole sleeve is on the inner but because the inner and outer are attached it goes up all in one.  That's rather clever.  Hilleberg don't seal their seams and I've never had a leak in either of mine in foul weather.  They say it's down to smaller holes coming from the use of cooled needles.  Whether this is PR spin or real I don't know.

fernman

• Veteran Member
Just something new to add to the list as to what is possible. If you look at their single hoop tent it is seamless and has an interesting approach to an all in one tent - the pole sleeve is on the inner but because the inner and outer are attached it goes up all in one. That's rather clever.

That model (the Lizard) caught my eye too, and like Richard earlier I gasped at the price.
I like that it has a bucket groundsheet, but not that it only has 90cm headroom.
I'll forgive them for spelling anchor in the video the same as we spell banker or similar words, for I'm sure their English is better than our German, but the main point I want to add is that in the Features and Technologies it says "Hand sealing with Silicone Seam Sealer is recommended for use in wet conditions", and on the Tent Constructions page it says "Eventually, however, it becomes necessary to manually reseal the seams using silicone seam sealers (Silicone Seam Sealer from Sil Net)". So while the technology is certainly a step forward it is not the ultimate answer.
« Last Edit: 10:55:47, 14/02/21 by fernman »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy