Author Topic: Tent design review article  (Read 2400 times)

weston.front

Re: Tent design review article
« Reply #30 on: 10:58:57, 30/01/21 »
A number of folk here, and a number elsewhere, asked if I could follow up my article on tent design with something similarly objective to cover fabrics.

Here it is:

https://westonfront.wordpress.com/2021/01/30/tent-fabrics-an-objective-summary-of-the-21st-century-options/
Following the road less travelled : westonfront.wordpress.com

weston.front

« Reply #31 on: 21:54:15, 11/05/21 »
It looks like much of the world is trying to decide what tent to buy for the summer - I'm amazed to now having had 941 view of my article on tent design.  Thanks for all the help from people on this site with questions and proof reading.

https://bit.ly/2YeyRhz
Following the road less travelled : westonfront.wordpress.com

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 08:28:55, 12/05/21 »
- I'm amazed to now having had 941 view of my article on tent design.  Thanks for all the help from people on this site with questions and proof reading.

Deservedly so - it is an excellent summary.  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 16:30:46, 12/05/21 »
Thank you for both articles, once read, buying a tent suddenly becomes more difficult.

In my case, when camping with my tarp, I'm using the bathtub floor from my old Zephros One tent on top of my ground sheet and under my mattress, it's light, rolls up small, it's strong and I think it keeps the ground wetness at bay very well.

I only have experience of three tents and I would not use any of them without a groundsheet or footprint, or both. I'm now looking to buy or to get some Tyvek to replace my groundsheet, it seems to be recommended by many as the groundsheet material of choice.

Jim Parkin

« Reply #34 on: 19:49:29, 13/05/21 »
Nice summary.

I have actually thought that what you list as the advantage of the tunnel design, is why I don't really like it for one person... You end up with large areas of fabric potentially exposed to the wind (if it veers, or some other factor limits your orientation) if you want a reasonable headroom. A pyramid, for the same reason that has a disadvantage compared to most other designs (its sloping walls making it a bit claustrophobic at head and foot) gives you more headroom at the middle for a given exposure of fabric to wind compared to a tunnel.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy