Author Topic: Bag an Ethel  (Read 3179 times)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: Bag an Ethel
« Reply #15 on: 10:05:28, 11/05/21 »
Hands up those who sneer at the idea of collecting Wainwrights et al ...

...and cheer those like Sabrina Verjee who do just that.  ;)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 11:11:01, 11/05/21 »
I know you have to shoehorn in your pet soapbox BWW but if you are sayingthen you are arguing against the expansion of access unless it is a particularly amazing/interesting/stunning route. One more path across a grassy field isn't going to cut it under your criteria.
Not necessarily so,  ;) I would add quality of way to the existing access network. To quantify quality of way is to bring into the leisure network far more than a few grassy fields. As the author of the CLA's policy on access can write a national strategy for the occupiers of our countryside and have a sizable chunk of Offa's Dyke in his back yard, which is 10 miles off route and not be criticised for it says something about the observation of those, who wish to walk in our countryside.
Destinations change, sections of old ways become unsafe and there are more viewpoints that measurable hillocks. The hereditary landowner, who sat on the LAF I was on, has a tump or hump in his estate, he was ignorant of the online scores he attracted. Yet the Iron Age Fort situated there is a legacy from our ancestors. How does it fit into our landscape, can children learn from it about communities and as it is only a low hill perhaps it should be an allowable target for those just starting to explore the countryside.

Tick lists give people objectives, no criticism there but those who become obsessed fail to get the full value and perhaps are not learning that they could go beyond to a greater understanding.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 11:57:16, 11/05/21 »
Oh Ridge - now look what you've done.  You've set him off again  ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 11:58:57, 11/05/21 »

Not guilty - don't do either.
Solvitur Ambulando

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 13:35:15, 11/05/21 »
I don't sneer at anyone collecting Wainwrights or any other challenge for that matter. I celebrate Sabrina Verjee for the effort and the challenge she set herself not for how many Wainwrights she has summited. Similarly, I watch in awe of those who walk/run The Spine Race, not for how quickly or slowly they achieve the distance but for knowing (as I have ambled along it twice) the challenges they have along the way.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 18:49:36, 11/05/21 »
I love this entry on the Hill Bagging website

30th Jan 2021   
2921 Cheriton Hill demoted from Marilyn list.
2656 Hesk Fell demoted from Hump list.
7 new Tumps added.
1 Tump/Simm/Hewitt promotion and 1 Tump reinstated.
4 Tump demotions including 1 Simm/Hewitt and 1 Dodd.
5 Tumps (including 1 Ma/Hu and 1 Hu) with significant summit relocations.
2 Submarilyn additions and 1 deletion.
1 Subhump addition and 3 deletions.
2 Subsimms deleted.
1 Subdodd added.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 09:00:32, 12/05/21 »
Wow - never knew there were so many classifications - had to look most of them up.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 09:29:03, 12/05/21 »
Oh there are more, lots more.

Would you like me to make a list for you?  :D

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 09:36:07, 12/05/21 »
Is the dip in my lawn a "Subhump", if so I'll add it to the list of LDPs I have walked.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 09:41:50, 12/05/21 »
Oh there are more, lots more.

Would you like me to make a list for you?  :D

That is a very kind offer, but, on consideration, I think not. ;D 

I think I may have had a couple of subhumps in my younger days.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 10:07:49, 12/05/21 »
On the subject of lists, I love this chapter in 'Bothy Tales' by John D Burns - https://www.johndburns.com/the-unforgiven-mountaineer/ (shorter edited version)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 15:26:54, 12/05/21 »
I have some empathy with J Burns, I have frequently missed out an actual summit when I find it irrelevant to the terrain I am walking. Once sitting and enjoying where we were, Mrs BWW and I, were approached by a guy somewhere high up on Aran. He asked where we were going and we told him we would descend via Glen Sannox, he pointed back along the ridge he had come from and told us that we could bag another Munroe if we nipped down there. I thanked him but we did not nip down there.

Do I regret not following his advice? A resounding NO.

Yet it saddens me when I recall the owner of Billings Ring, an Iron Age Fort named on a tump or hump in south Shropshire saying that access to it would never be allowed in his lifetime, despite serving on the Shropshire LAF for nearly 20 years. Together with a number of other such objectives closely positioned they might serve to motivate local young people to get out and explore.

Richard1005's topic on Horseshoe Walks might have tempted me for the very same reason that 'Quality of Way' did not feature in the replies to the extent that size, quantity and distance were the main, for the very reason that Ninthace's humorous quip demonstrates.  ;)
I find myself drawn to following natural lines in the mountains, especially 'horseshoe' walks around a valley.
It is this terrain that where a feature worth walking for can be found, I call it the 'Golden Contour' and more rarely the 'Platinum Contour'. Had I been blessed with more spare time in my lifetime I might perhaps be able to delve more deeply into the sense of awe that this feature endows, when found.

It was my reaction to the Billings ring incident that motivated me into viewing the Hill Bagging site, amusing that they can describe horrendous yomps through bad terrain just to reach their precious goals and yet not look more carefully at the map to see how the underlying geology might add to the 'Quality of Way' that might introduce to network a route with other more worthwhile features and destinations.

BWW

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 15:58:51, 12/05/21 »
Sitting on Little Fell in the middle of Warcop Range watching a group of baggers wandering round with gps units arguing about which tussock was the highest point of a virtually flat top then insisting on being photographed stood on that tussock, which was to all intents and purposes the same as all the other clumps round them - priceless.  :)
Solvitur Ambulando

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 10:24:57, 13/05/21 »
Sitting on Little Fell in the middle of Warcop Range watching a group of baggers wandering round with gps units arguing about which tussock was the highest point of a virtually flat top then insisting on being photographed stood on that tussock, which was to all intents and purposes the same as all the other clumps round them - priceless.  :)
:2funny: Only to be verified by an accurate map ref. recorded, I suppose.

Never been drawn into the cache hunting fad, but that does seem to have more point to it. I remember researching the Grey Man of Merrick and finding that there is a cache there. No actual map rev. as that is a closely guarded secret, yet if you find the cache you know that you have found the right place. Discovering the Grey Man was the real highlight of that day, the summit of Merrick is a very worthwhile peak. I wonder how many have ticked of Merrick yet left the Grey Man to his lonely repose in the more private part of that hill.
BWW

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy