Author Topic: Don't Lose Your Way  (Read 2759 times)

Andies

• Veteran Member
Don't Lose Your Way
« on: 15:35:15, 27/10/20 »
I received a Ramblers email today. Apparently they will be announcing how many miles of potential lost ways their research has shown there may be next week and inviting people to guess how many miles they have found. They originally predicted 10,000 miles. I suspect the figure will be much higher and guessed 105,000 miles, but that's probably just wishful thinking on my part, and anyway ignores the fact that they would have an enormous job to try and get just a small fraction of those routes onto the definitive map. What do others think the figure might be...... :-\

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Don't Lose Your Way
« Reply #1 on: 17:28:52, 27/10/20 »
Had the same e-mail.  Keeping my guess secret -I want the book.  ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:56:49, 27/10/20 »
Zero. There aren't any. Are you there, barewirewalker?  ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:00:28, 27/10/20 »

Naughty. ;)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:36:16, 28/10/20 »
They haven't sent me an email :'( but it doesn't surprise me, they were at least 20 years to late with doing this.
English Nature forecast it was about 10% of the national total of rights of way and even though they never made public the findings of the Lost Way Project, it must be obvious that the legal route of recovery is a lost cause, the route to recovery that should have overwhelming support, a political one lacks the interest of the very people it most affects. As illustrated;

Thanks Pleb couldn't have put it better  :) .

As we come up to remembrance day we forget yet again, one epitaph, the one that the the 1949 Countryside Act was supposed to bequeath to the nation for the sacrifice of our ancestors during 2 World Wars. This was the underlying political motives for the Act. The reward of the freedom our countryside for generations to come and the lottery the Ramblers are running on this is the measure the landowners of the country reneged on that promise.Perhaps the timing is the only thing the Ramblers have got right.

It is possible that history may measure the Corruption of the Definitive map as a greater social crime than the theft of bread, which caused the Corn Laws to be enacted. Hunger is an instant symptom of loss. Indifference to looking for that which is lost is the means by which criminals get away with crime.

Perhaps this is an instance of burying one's descendant's. I though that very reminiscent of the Liverpudlian sense of humour I enjoyed climbing with scousers. ;D
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:18:17, 28/10/20 »
Google suggests there are 140,000 miles of ROW in England and Wales. So perhaps if the English Nature estimate was a reasonable one to base lost ways on their figure would be about 14,000. This is way different to my guess and it's probably best not to expand on my logic or not, let alone whether the Ramblers are including Scotland and Northern Ireland as well.
My own research into possible missing ROW based on looking at some local villages consistently suggested that for every mile on the definitive map there was at least another missed off for whatever reason.
I engaged with the Ramblers project and did complete many squares thereof but my enthusiasm for them had waned somewhat by the time they asked me to act as a checker of others squares completed. This stemmed from their apparent indifference to my attempt to actually address a matter rather than just I fear their appearance of supporting the cause.
This will I suspect be the result of this whole don't lose your way campaign. It will give an estimate that will be used to argue the case, but how will it in practice address the issue of actually getting these routes onto the definitive map. The work involved for one path can be enormous let alone thousands, and all before 2026. Perhaps it will serve to delay the 2026 deadline which would be good news, but unless the whole process of getting ROW onto the definitive map is simplified, and dare I say it with more of a presumption in favour of the needs of ROW user rather than the largely anti access mindset of landowners, I fear little will be achieved :-\

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:05:50, 28/10/20 »
Andies - I think you put that really well, and I agree with your conclusion.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:44:36, 28/10/20 »
I managed to get a copy of the 'Lost Way Project' for Shropshire. I was very new to using a computer and most of my interest was learning IT skills, but the extent of Lostways started to make me realize that they need to be understood in the context of a modern network. The primary mistake of the LWP was the attempt to prove how possible to it would be to prove a way legally.

The result of this, I think, would have revealed more BOATs and RUPPs than would be acceptable to the idea of increasing access with a conservation friendly slant, this played into the hands of the landowners, who clearly are committed to defending their properties against increase of access (this is the underlying theme of their 2012 policy).

The sad irony is the access network is proving to be a powerful economic asset, let alone a valuable social tool benefiting the countries physical and mental health.
BWW

Toxicbunny

« Reply #8 on: 14:27:02, 28/10/20 »
I received an email yesterday.  I just hope these lost paths are reinstated. I would think it would be dependent upon your local council and ROW officer. Ours is diabolical. Even when issues are reported nothing is done. I appreciate Covid is now the excuse but even pre covid the service was none existent.

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:01:19, 15/12/20 »
Had an email today from the Ramblers to say the detailed map is out so logged on for a look. I'm pleased to see most that I marked up survived the checking process but as they say the hard job will be getting evidence to support any claims, but it's a starting point at least  O0

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:16:37, 15/12/20 »
Had an email today from the Ramblers to say the detailed map is out so logged on for a look. I'm pleased to see most that I marked up survived the checking process but as they say the hard job will be getting evidence to support any claims, but it's a starting point at least  O0

Do you have a link to the map we can share. :)

Pomster

« Reply #11 on: 17:23:30, 15/12/20 »
Hmm ... Be interested to know how many green lanes have been lost or down graded to bridleways etc? I would of thought they would go hand in hand

Your mind is like a parachute, it works better when open

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:04:10, 16/12/20 »

Do you have a link to the map we can share. :)

No it won't let me. I suspect I only got access to this (via an email) because I signed up to the Ramblers "Don't Lose Your Way" campaign and completed a number of squares on the map and I also have to log in the access it. I have tried going in via the Ramblers' website but even logging in there doesn't give access to this latest detailed map and the associated information. Not sure why or whether this will change in the future?

Roburite

« Reply #13 on: 11:45:57, 18/12/20 »
Here is a link to the Ramblers map. I don't know whether it will work without logging in. I'm a bit surprised by some of the entries in my area and also by some that have been left off. It's worth reading the faq's that go with the map.https://dontloseyourway.ramblers.org.uk/map

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:02:15, 18/12/20 »
That great, it shows quite clearly that there should be a clear corridor of Countryside across Shropshire from Cannock Chase to the head of the Tanant Valley. I tried to draw the attention of the Local authority to this, years ago. In fact the Grand entrance to the non existent Beaudesert Hall could link Litchfield to Shrewsbury and then to the Welsh Coast.
Thanks for providing the link.
BWW

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy