Author Topic: TR Trans Pennine Trail through Longdendale Sat 6 Jun 20  (Read 5394 times)

April

• Veteran Member
I met up with Squeaky and Beefy near Hadfield Station. We were going to do a there and back walk on the Trans Pennine Trail, a dismantled railway path through Longdendale. It was cloudy but dry to start and the wind wasn't as bad as forecast.

On the Trans Pennine Trail

Bottoms Reservoir

At least I think it is! The trees and shrubbery along the path were tall and views to the reservoirs and moors were limited. The trail passes Bottoms, Valehouse, Rhodeswood, Torside and Woodhead Reservoirs.

View toward the moors

The sun made an appearance, a much better day than was forecast.

Hadfield Hedghogs

These painted stones were a nice touch, something for children to enjoy. And adults!

Woolley Bridge Woollies

Tintwistle Turtle

More views of the moors

The clouds still looked like they could pour rain down on us

Crowden Caterpillars

Squeaky enjoying her walk

Interesting landscape above the reservoirs

Information Board

Rhododendrons alongside the path

There was hardly any litter here we noticed. It had been shameful to see all the litter about near Dovestones in our previous walks.

Reservoir and moorland view

Bleaklow

Clough Edge

The Pennine Way goes along this edge

Another view of the moors

Sorry I can't name most of them. We stopped to have some lunch and a brew above Torside Reservoir then we carried on as far as Woodhead Reservoir then retraced our steps back to Hadfield.

Reservoir and moor view

It had started raining near Woodhead Reservoir but it was just light rain and the sun came out in between the showers.

Lamb

Untidy Ewe

Looks like the sheep salon closed due to Covid when she was only half done.

Old House Tunnel

We passed by a sign we'd not seen on the way to Old House Tunnel so we investigated. We walked down it and then up it again to rejoin the TPT.

Glossop Gnome Village

I'd missed taking a shot of this one on the way but it is a nice photo to finish. Our walk was about 9.5 miles with not much ascent, very nice, easy walking  :)

Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Trans Pennine Trail through Longdendale Sat 6 Jun 20
« Reply #1 on: 17:57:57, 07/06/20 »
Bottoms reservoir  ;D  I've not heard of it.
Nice to see Squeaky strutting her stuff  :)
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:22:42, 07/06/20 »
Nice pics April.  O0
Was working in Hadfield just before lockdown, i'ts a lovely area. Squeaky is looking well. ;)

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:42:07, 07/06/20 »

[size=0px]oks like the sheep salon closed due to Covid when she was only half done

She's not wearing harmony hairspray   ;D
Was a nice walk and we dodged most of the rain
 Grest pics Ape O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:56:18, 07/06/20 »
Lovely pics.
Really like the Bleaklow shot, really like Bleaklow too.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:24:26, 07/06/20 »
Interesting TR and lovely photo of Squeaky    :)

I don't know if you and beefy are familiar with New Mills, not far from Hadfield, but it's well worth going to walk through the Torrs gorge and over the Millennium Walkway.  One of my favourite spots in my native Derbyshire!   :)

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 00:33:21, 08/06/20 »
Interesting TR and lovely photo of Squeaky    :)

I don't know if you and beefy are familiar with New Mills, not far from Hadfield, but it's well worth going to walk through the Torrs gorge and over the Millennium Walkway.  One of my favourite spots in my native Derbyshire!   :)
Yes I've been there thanks Dovegirl :)
An idea for another walk
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 05:09:03, 08/06/20 »
Nice to see Squeaky strutting her stuff  :)

:) She had good run about. We were lucky; we had thought there weren't any sheep on the trail so she had been off the lead for a few miles until some walkers who had a dog with them mentioned there were sheep up ahead. Straight on the lead went Squeaky. On our return journey there were even more sheep about nearer Hadfield so thank goodness they must have been out of sight on the way or Squeaky might have caused a few problems.

Was working in Hadfield just before lockdown, i'ts a lovely area. Squeaky is looking well. ;)

It is a lovely place and Squeaky does look well  :)

Was a nice walk and we dodged most of the rain

Aye, we were lucky. That is the first walk in the rain since early March  :o

Really like the Bleaklow shot

I've never been on it, only heard the name before and was surprised when I looked at the map when I got home to find the hill was Bleaklow  :)

I don't know if you and beefy are familiar with New Mills, not far from Hadfield, but it's well worth going to walk through the Torrs gorge and over the Millennium Walkway.

Thanks Dovegirl  O0
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:10:58, 08/06/20 »
I particularly like the pebble paintings, April, and doesn't Squeaky look fine!  :)
I know this area a bit as it was on my usual route to Sheffield when my wife-to-be lived there, the village names bring back memories.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:35:34, 08/06/20 »
Lovely pics again of the Longdendale Trail and the Blealkow edge.  O0
The painted pebbles must be new, a lockdown activity perhaps.
The LT trail has starting points for some superb and secluded ascents of Bleaklow, including Near Black Clough and, for the adventurous, Wildboar Clough.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:11:34, 08/06/20 »
Another vote for how well Squeaky is looking and nice for her to be off lead for a bit and luckily on her best behaviour :angel:

The painted pebble trail is delightful - https://www.facebook.com/GLOSSOPDALEFAMILYTRAIL/posts/110361427362913.
Certainly would make a walk more fun for children though, for me, the pebbles are good but the signs a little bit too big and in your face.
« Last Edit: 12:20:36, 08/06/20 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:53:07, 08/06/20 »
Nice pics and TR April.  I often walk a section of the Trans-Pennine trail here in North Liverpool - pan flat and often restricted views of more pan flatness, but at least it's in the country.  Problem we have is with groups using it for cycling making distancing a problem.  Your bit looks a lot nicer!!

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:18:51, 08/06/20 »
Great pics, love the painted pebbles! We’ve seen a few dotted about round here but not as many as that.

When I start reading your recent reports, I’m thinking it’s another area we haven’t done any walks! Then I realise you’re on or near the Pennine Way, which we’ve done so obviously we have walked there!  ;D  And it all comes back to me! Though you do get a bit blinkered when doing a LDW and you're not really exploring the area, you have to go back to do it properly. Anyway my excuse is that it was raining and misty on those days.  We stayed at
Old House B&B on our first night.

One F

« Reply #13 on: 14:51:28, 08/06/20 »
And another memory lane TR. This great so another thanks for the trip, for me, back in time. Its now over 50 years ago but I used to catch the train from Sheffield Victoria to Manchester and then onto Liverpool. The Sheffield - Manchester train ran on the electrified route through Longdendale. In later years after a few travels around England, family came along, and we would often spend a weekend afternoon at Woodhead. Then, a few years ago, took a hike with an old pal, from Woodhead to Torside and back.

Lovely TR and pics.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:24:24, 08/06/20 »
I know this area a bit as it was on my usual route to Sheffield when my wife-to-be lived there, the village names bring back memories.

:)  It is a lovely area, so close to a few big cities and towns and yet still so close to pretty good walks  O0

The LT trail has starting points for some superb and secluded ascents of Bleaklow, including Near Black Clough and, for the adventurous, Wildboar Clough.

Bleaklow is on my list, there are so many walks I want to do around here!

Another vote for how well Squeaky is looking and nice for her to be off lead for a bit and luckily on her best behaviour :angel:

Thank goodness she didn't spot any sheep before we did  :)

The signs are a bit too big, I agree  :)

Problem we have is with groups using it for cycling making distancing a problem.  Your bit looks a lot nicer!!

It was quite busy with folk at times but most people were good at keeping there distance  :)

When I start reading your recent reports, I’m thinking it’s another area we haven’t done any walks! Then I realise you’re on or near the Pennine Way, which we’ve done so obviously we have walked there!  ;D

:) You never know we may do a bit of the Pennine Way in the coming weeks  :)

Lovely TR and pics.

Thanks One F. Beefy was saying it is a while since he was here himself and the growing trees have obscured the views a bit but it was still a lovely walk.
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy