Author Topic: Spinning eyelets on boots  (Read 677 times)

Ronin83

Spinning eyelets on boots
« on: 21:43:25, 23/03/21 »
Just received some iturri cold weather boots (British army issue). Got them in really good condition, hardly used, however straight away I've noticed the ball earing eyelets are turning with tension.
Is this a major problem and potentially a fault with these particular boots or just something typical?

Thanks

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: Spinning eyelets on boots
« Reply #1 on: 07:43:47, 24/03/21 »
I would suggest that you contact Iturri direct for an answer https://www.iturri.com/en/contact/ Email [email protected] Phone 01295 703090

I've had boots in the past where the eyelets are movable under tension to enable cleaning and waxing under them and not had a problem. If they all move in the same way it's probably not a problem. If it's just one eyelet it may be a manufacturing fault.

If they're able to be moved easily it could be a possible problem particularly if water can get in via the loose fitting.

Ronin83

« Reply #2 on: 08:39:17, 24/03/21 »
I may try contacting them, but I doubt they'll care much about some guy in England buying their second hand boots tbh lol.
I guess if there's more than one spinning it's unlikely to be a fault. I'd have thought eyelets with ballbearings should stay straight though.
Maybe this will be the undoing of iturris BA contract if it's a common occurrence. I have tried searching for this issue, but haven't found anything

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:56:43, 24/03/21 »
Have a look at 4:48 on this YouTube video it clearly shows one eyelet out of line https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXQP0LCFnds

If yours are like this I wouldn't worry too much as they're probably designed to be like this for cleaning and waxing under the eyelets.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:22:02, 24/03/21 »
Never heard of ball bearing eyelets on a boot before!

Regarding the eyelets turning a bit - if this only happens under tension, and they are pretty tight, then I instinctively don't think that this is much of a problem. Just keep the area well waxed; should stop any water ingress.
If, however, they become really loose, might be a sign that the rivet is failing, and that the eyelet is about to fall off, as happened on some brand new Brasher Boots that I purchased a few years ago, In this instance, too much force had been used when riveting; this had sheared the metal of the rivet, which promptly failed when I pulled the laces tight.  >:(
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ronin83

« Reply #5 on: 10:17:51, 24/03/21 »
Thanks. Yeh just checked and theyre all pretty much the same. Quite easy to move but maybe that's just the way it is.
I have emailed iturri, but I'm not very optimistic they'll give a [censored].

Other than that they feel ll great at first impressions stage. Fit well, hold heel very well unlike other BA boots I've tried.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy