Author Topic: Tips for crossing streams?  (Read 14252 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Tips for crossing streams?
« Reply #45 on: 15:11:57, 04/11/20 »
All you need is a pair of binoculars, look at the water through the large lenses, the water problem is now much smaller. Then just make one big stride and you are across.  O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 15:56:44, 04/11/20 »
The answer is to find some ducks and cross by them.  If ithe water only comes halfway up a duck, it can't be very deep.
Solvitur Ambulando

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 16:14:51, 04/11/20 »
The answer is to find some ducks and cross by them.  If ithe water only comes halfway up a duck, it can't be very deep.
;D ;D ;D
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

GoneWest

« Reply #48 on: 16:56:42, 04/11/20 »
A long time ago, a friend of ours got serious brownie points for vaulting across using her walking poles, after the rest of us got soaked.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 18:59:12, 04/11/20 »
A long time ago, a friend of ours got serious brownie points for vaulting across using her walking poles, after the rest of us got soaked.
I was going to suggest this as a method for crossing a stream that is not too wide. It might not be a good idea with Carbon fibre poles, as too high a transverse force might break them. That could be xpensive, wet and embarrassing.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 19:15:26, 04/11/20 »
I was going to suggest this as a method for crossing a stream that is not too wide. It might not be a good idea with Carbon fibre poles, as too high a transverse force might break them. That could be xpensive, wet and embarrassing.
I've done it with carbon poles and I am not lacking in avoirdupois. I suspect the load is largely compressive as the poles will be rotating about an axis orthogonal to the direction of travel.
Solvitur Ambulando

thomasdevon

« Reply #51 on: 16:23:02, 05/11/20 »
Hey guys,
Sorry for the late comer reply, but I think I’ve found a solution. The amount of people that are considering fashioning their own boots because there isn’t a great alternative is astronomical! I don’t know why someone hasn’t created cheap, durable and waterproof waders. Anyways, the solution I’m using for my next trail is using Tyvek overboots (usually used in the medical profession) that are relatively inexpensive (a few pounds), and using waterproof adhesive to attach a Velcro strap to secure around the top. Again, these are relatively cheap. I hope this helps, as this would solve the issue.. meaning that you would have a lightweight, cheap and durable pair of waders for river crossings
With thanks,
Elliot

Nice idea. I wonder if I might get some aggregate bags and slip into them to do my fording.

thomasdevon

« Reply #52 on: 16:23:51, 05/11/20 »

I like to keep at least one foot on the ground when crossing barriers, no vaulting for me.

sorry to be a stick in the mud..........  ;D

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 16:37:59, 05/11/20 »
Not so long ago (@7 years) I used the come down the Rangers Path off Snowdon using the 2 pole vaulting technique for a rapid descent.  Don't think I could do it now but I still double pole across some of streams on Dartmoor and the odd track wide puddle.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 17:46:39, 05/11/20 »
On my recent Cwm llafar Horseshoe walk, you just had to go for it, wade chest deep in very fast flowing water.

A few years back, when attempting the Cwm Caseg to Carnedd llewellyn route, i knew there was a walk of over two miles, to find a suitable ford to cross the Caseg river.

There are just some situations, where finding a suitable crossing point of a river, or stream in heavy spate, is impossible.

Wet feet are inevitable, you just have to wade through the water, as sometimes there are no alternative routes.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 19:16:07, 05/11/20 »
I'd like to see anyone wade chest deep in very fast flowing water and stay upright, another one of your exaggerations DA  ;D

Our water team, trained in swift water rescue, would love to know how you achieved that  O0
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 19:21:42, 05/11/20 »
Perhaps it can be done for a given value of "fast"? 😉
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 19:26:57, 05/11/20 »
True, but not if 'very fast'  ;D
Where there's a will ...

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 20:57:22, 05/11/20 »
I'd like to see anyone wade chest deep in very fast flowing water and stay upright, another one of your exaggerations DA  ;D

Our water team, trained in swift water rescue, would love to know how you achieved that  O0

O0 . Not any type of fast at chest deep over slow, call it 1knot your heading down steam, if no rope is in place.  ;)

Not too many wide rivers on Dartmoor that don't have a bridge happily.  First thing as a day walker, I check the river level forecast before I finalise my route. There are a few that I regularly ford.  Up to 18 inches I just check my gaiters are secure across the back of my boots and stride across as quickly as I can.  Yet to get wet feet doing that.  If I'm planning a river crossing that is going to mean wading then I take an old pair of walking shoes and put those on at the crossing point.  In typical SW winter conditions I often push on on the other bank in the wet shoes until there is a protected spot to stop and put my boots back on.  Means my trousers have dried out a bit first and keeps the blood pumping. 

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: 22:53:11, 05/11/20 »
Is there really such a thing as a river level forecast, BuzyG? That's new to me.

My experience of Snowdonia rivers is most of them are full of big boulders and slippery rocks, while depths are extremely uneven, so there is no no chance of simply wading across them.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy