Author Topic: A Tier 3 - North Liverpool  (Read 3917 times)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Re: A Tier 3 - North Liverpool
« Reply #15 on: 12:54:55, 27/10/20 »
I have taken a copy for record. Interesting illustration, rather proves the point that estates were part of the community and these old ways we use today for leisure are an important part of our history/anthology. The other, similar, raises the question of there having been a through route and this connects with the point I was try to make about the Double Destination Factor. In the case of large country house they were the main local employer, today's argument suggests that the owner of the property allowed the access for servants to reach the servants hall, but this precludes many tradesmen, also pedestrian, who would visit and continue on their rounds. The well landscaped parkland with only paved drives to the house also provided this access. Were they ways that should have been included on the DM  ;)
I would be interested in a map reference if not too much trouble.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 13:50:56, 27/10/20 »
BWW - the reference for the blocked gate is around SD 32620 00901.

I agree with your reading of it - indeed there are two significant estates near me which bar all public access, meaning long walks around them on roads - my walk on Sunday skirted both of them. I got particularly fed up with the rural idyll being spoiled not by walkers and their mess but the sheer number of Private/Keep out/Trespassers will be prosecuted/No entry/No turning signs I encountered.  I suspect the average scally, bent on criminality, will not be put off by signs asking him not to. ;D

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 15:42:52, 27/10/20 »
I suspect the average scally, bent on criminality, will not be put off by signs asking him not to. ;D
Thanks for the Map reference. I'll check it out.

The irony of the no access/ more secure thinking is potential witnesses for wrong doing are excluded and alienated by this attitude. The property boom that has put suburbia into rural dwellings means that those country people, who knew what to look for, are no longer the watchful eyes that once picked out strangers and country pubs are no longer the information exchange that processed rural gossip.

Countryside and farm watch schemes would benefit from trusting the 90+% of socially responsible citizens rather than thinking that the super rich and titled are the only honest people around. A scheme using QR codes would probably catch more rural criminals, dumpers of rubbish and dog worriers than all the notices, sensors, hidden cameras etc, if landowners learnt to respect their fellow citizens.
BWW

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:02:46, 27/10/20 »
What's wrong with the heron? Looks normal to me.  :-\
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 18:26:15, 27/10/20 »
What's wrong with the heron? Looks normal to me.  :-\

Yeah - I always think they look like cheeky lads when they don't have their necks stretched out. 

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 11:56:08, 28/10/20 »
Thanks BWW - I took a picture thinking of you, earlier in the summer, which shows the wall of the Blundell Estate with an old gateway carefully blocked in to deny access - though when it was blocked, I have no idea.  This old entrance faces fields which I walk each morning with my dogs.  There is a matching one on the other side of the estate.

Looks like a blocked burrow, landowner style.
The most likely explanation, without recourse to old maps is a way to Church (the memorial chapel en-route?) and your mention of the religious history, would suggest a geographic guidance to the place of worship. Sad that has not spilled over into the social conscience of squirarchical grandeur, now that the public have to endure 1.3 miles of roadside pavement at the expense of 141 acres of green space being used for privacy.
Grounds for rates on agricultural land that is blocking the the better use of RoW that do not reach their full potential for leisure use. :crazy2: >:D
BWW

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 13:12:50, 28/10/20 »
Agreed - and not really useful agricultural land - mostly woods  and horse paddocks.  Not sure about the chapel - I have never seen it, but the parish church is in the village at the other end of the estate.  I have often argued with friends that this land could be a wonderful asset to the locality.  The landowner has turned a part of the estate over to an educational trust, though I am aware, from my own kids visits there, that this is not free to the end user - I assume it is a way of raising funds to maintain parts of the estate.  Otherwise the estate is firmly closed from public access apart from once a year when there is a concert or play on a summer evening.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 13:53:43, 28/10/20 »
Probably a means of accessing grants and public money, a growth industry for those self employed looking for consultancy work, without enough capital to buy land. Especially as it fits in with those lifestyle of those brought up in this social circle. If not bright enough for banking, Royal Agricultural College of Cirencester will furnish a degree in sponging of the land.
BWW

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 13:58:53, 28/10/20 »
Probably a means of accessing grants and public money, a growth industry for those self employed looking for consultancy work, without enough capital to buy land. Especially as it fits in with those lifestyle of those brought up in this social circle. If not bright enough for banking, Royal Agricultural College of Cirencester will furnish a degree in sponging of the land.

Or probably not.
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 16:45:02, 28/10/20 »

Or probably not.

Do you have an alternative to add to the discussion?

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 17:12:47, 28/10/20 »

Do you have an alternative to add to the discussion?
I'll be the first to admit to a little cynicism, that probably clouded my judgement.

BUT that was after looking a the map, around PDSTSP's map reference, the Crosby and Ince Blundell Halls areas of exclusion show a marked lack of respect to the intentions of the 1949 Act.
I also know of consultants, who make very good livings out of the specializing, in sourcing grants for landowners.
BWW

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 17:42:31, 28/10/20 »
Agreed - and not really useful agricultural land - mostly woods  and horse paddocks.  Not sure about the chapel - I have never seen it, but the parish church is in the village at the other end of the estate.  I have often argued with friends that this land could be a wonderful asset to the locality.  The landowner has turned a part of the estate over to an educational trust, though I am aware, from my own kids visits there, that this is not free to the end user - I assume it is a way of raising funds to maintain parts of the estate.  Otherwise the estate is firmly closed from public access apart from once a year when there is a concert or play on a summer evening.

My alternative is that there is no requirement for the landowner to open up his estate to the public.

Shock horror a walker who doesn't believe we have the "right" to go wherever we feel is right. BWW, could perhaps just post about what he believes is right without continuously going on about how terrible "the landed gentry" are.

Before you ask if I am one of them. I was brought up in the 60's in a terraced house with an outside toilet and tin bath. So no "silver spoon" for me.

Van Morrison

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 18:02:30, 28/10/20 »
I note your opinion.  I note you don't comment on the TR, you seem intent on just taking a contrary position on this part of the discussion.  Anyone would think you just come on here to get a rise out of people. ::)

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 18:12:04, 28/10/20 »
I note your opinion.  I note you don't comment on the TR, you seem intent on just taking a contrary position on this part of the discussion.  Anyone would think you just come on here to get a rise out of people. ::)

If I knew what a TR was maybe I would ;)

Van Morrison

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 18:44:46, 28/10/20 »
Trip Report.  Though I am sure you knew that.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy