Author Topic: The Monkey Trail...  (Read 724 times)

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
The Monkey Trail...
« on: 18:47:26, 02/11/20 »
Off to the Headland Hartlepool for todays fairly flat walk….
Met my first electric scooters, driving the wrong way along the road towards me!

This is a little known gem of a place steeped in history, fantastic sea views and best of all it’s the start of The Monkey Trail! Parked on the street on the sea front, no parking charges or restrictions, and immediately noticed all the sea defences seemed complete along with a totally resurfaced tarmac prom, looking very tidy. Last time I was here the sea had taken away all the sand, pebbles and stones just leaving the bare rock, there was quite a drop down.
Today calm sea was nearing high tide, although the sand was back in huge piles covering most of the steps down to beach. Stretches of sand were visible with black coal still being brought in by the tide.
Walking along the  prom, Cleveland Hills in front disappeared behind huge rain storms, checked clouds... moving south! A number of large tankers were waiting to come into the Tees, again disappearing and reappearing from rain showers.
Lots of birds were on the shoreline, a group of eight Curlew took flight, Cormorants were in abundance, about the only ones I recognised. A male & female Eider duck were sitting grooming (later checked the bird handbook)!
Walked along the Heugh Lighthouse pier, opposite the Andy Capp Statue, water was really choppy on this side of pier, as the low sun came through lighting up the old town walls and the colourfully painted houses behind… wish I hadn’t forgotten the camera! Walked along the top of the old town walls towards the fish market, having a sit watching a tanker slowly creep into the Tees and into it’s berth… as well as the Curlews which had settled down on the shoreline, having a good chat to each other.
On the way back met an old guy who lived in an old pit village not far from me, it was kind of incredible we had so much in common! Walked, distance apart, back along prom for awhile until he had to go. We had a good laugh, which was good for us both. One of his tales was he did a bit of work for the ice rink in Durham, told to go in on Fridays to collect his money.. they emptied the one armed bandit and gave him his pay in one pound coins!
Further along noticed another beautifully coloured male Eider duck bobbing about.
This area had a commemorative sign relating to the German Naval bombardment 16th December 1914, must have been terrifying.
Met a guy walking his dog, he originated from near Bath, hadn’t lost the accent. Had a wee chat with a guy fishing, he had the appearance of a heavyweight boxer!
Nearly back to the car so ascended a few steps up to the road, hamstrings hadn’t done much of a stretch, tripped and managed to do a barrel roll across the pavement, which was better than ending up flat on my face!
Back home an email pops up....Avian influenza has been confirmed in Kent, OH NO!
« Last Edit: 22:50:00, 02/11/20 by Dodgylegs »

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: The Monkey Trail...
« Reply #1 on: 19:17:18, 02/11/20 »
Were they cormorants or shags?

Don’t worry too much about the avian flu. It was identified in chickens (not humans) at a poultry farm in Kent, where the birds have now been culled to prevent spread. It has a very low risk for public health.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:07:52, 02/11/20 »

Don’t worry too much about the avian flu. It was identified in chickens (not humans) at a poultry farm in Kent, where the birds have now been culled to prevent spread. It has a very low risk for public health.

They were large birds, diving for a good while.... any ideas Mike?

I worry more about avian flu because I keep hens! If you compare avian, from a few years ago, with coronavirus... I had to keep birds inside without any possible contact with wild birds, instructed they were allowed out as long as in a cage with solid roof to avoid contact or with droppings from wild birds. Any infected birds and the whole flock needed to be destroyed. Frequent emails from APHA advising where infections had taken place and areas of need to observe restrictions including no movement of birds. Ummm tighter restrictions worked!

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:24:43, 02/11/20 »
Cormorants and shags are very similar, but cormorants are bigger and have white cheeks and chin,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnFxBfRN7ak

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:51:00, 02/11/20 »
There is more avian flu In Cheshire, with more birds affected, the strain is said not to be linked to the Kent outbreak.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:55:22, 02/11/20 »
There is more avian flu In Cheshire, with more birds affected, the strain is said not to be linked to the Kent outbreak.
Unfortunately Mike I read that as well. Previously birds flying south from Russian winter appeared to bring avian flu, could be just the start.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:23:11, 04/11/20 »

Had a chat with a local down Headland today, he reckoned there have been no Shags here but lots of Cormorants.... actually caught a glimpse of one catching a fish

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy