Author Topic: Covid: UK staycation boom predicted once lockdown lifts  (Read 2027 times)

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
Re: Covid: UK staycation boom predicted once lockdown lifts
« Reply #30 on: 17:31:56, 24/01/21 »
I have been visiting the Lake District pretty regularly for 40 years. When I first visited nothing really opened til the Easter bank holiday and even then it was relatively quiet. I usually have a week in Keswick in March and another in June and if there is sufficient snow a week in February. It seems to me almost impossible to pack more people in than accommodation of all kinds allows and June fits that bill. However crowded it is in town centres or at the beginning of a walk. Generally within 30 minutes you are pretty much on your own again until you reach the top of one of the “must do” peaks. If you move away from those then it’s not a big issue either way, start or tops.
I am one of those causing the large numbers as are many of you on this forum. There must be plenty of other walkers thinking the same about us.
It's all uphill from here.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 18:07:43, 24/01/21 »
I have been visiting the Lake District pretty regularly for 40 years. When I first visited nothing really opened til the Easter bank holiday and even then it was relatively quiet. I usually have a week in Keswick in March and another in June and if there is sufficient snow a week in February. It seems to me almost impossible to pack more people in than accommodation of all kinds allows and June fits that bill. However crowded it is in town centres or at the beginning of a walk. Generally within 30 minutes you are pretty much on your own again until you reach the top of one of the “must do” peaks. If you move away from those then it’s not a big issue either way, start or tops.
I am one of those causing the large numbers as are many of you on this forum. There must be plenty of other walkers thinking the same about us.

I walk mostly Dark and White Peak and parts of Shropshire when I fancy change.

My experience is same as your Lake District...yes if you start from a popular-ish spot (usually I do, because often use public transport now) it can be “crowded”, but once you’ve walked for ten minutes the crowds magically disappear.

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 20:57:35, 24/01/21 »
Och I'm sure Gunwharfman will not take the criticism seriously. He's one of the few
really serious walkers on this forum. After spending a couple of nights with him at a forum meet (remember these?) in the Lakes, as we all took to our cars to head home, Reg packed his belongings in his pockets - no rucsack - and headed south on the road in a care free manner. The tales he could tell - and I wish he would!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 07:35:27, 25/01/21 »
UK staycation boom now guaranteed after the planned introduction of Australian style hotel quarantine for returning holidaymakers. No bad thing for the hard hit British tourism industry, and may well introduce more people to walking, which can only be a good thing in the longer term.
« Last Edit: 08:53:17, 25/01/21 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 07:40:16, 25/01/21 »
I'm not normally one for lists, but I think that I will start making a list of 2-3 day wild camping walks, something to look forward to once we are all jabbed and let loose.
« Last Edit: 08:53:40, 25/01/21 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy