Author Topic: How quick to walk up Snowdon  (Read 3442 times)

watershed

Re: How quick to walk up Snowdon
« Reply #15 on: 08:19:37, 10/11/20 »
I take your point, but for me the important thing is the kind of activity being done. For example, trail-runners will often (or nearly always) walk for some of the time, but I can't imagine they'd categorise their ultra-marathon (or whatever) as a walk.

Similarly, on the London Marathon, I only jogged very occasionally and that was on some downhill sections where I decided that jogging (or what probably more resembled skipping!) was safer on the steep, slippery slopes. So I'd prefer to claim that having both feet off the ground at the same time in the name of surer-footedness doesn't turn a walk into a run - it's simply a question of technique!  ;)

Interesting philosophy!! :o

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 08:29:46, 10/11/20 »

Interesting philosophy!! :o
I'm a lapsed member of the LDWA and while eating my porridge this morning I checked on their position regarding running in their long-distance events. Apparently, running some or even most of the way is perfectly normal in what they refer to as 'walks'. That's good enough for me!  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 10:56:54, 10/11/20 »
WD you do realise that given your claimed speed and daily distances that you could actually do the PW in the fastest recorded time ever.

Have you never thought of doing that? Not talking about the Spine race where the endurance through pitiful weather is quite different to your type of walking, just an attempt at the PW FRT.
Too little, too late, too bad......

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 12:07:44, 10/11/20 »
WD you do realise that given your claimed speed and daily distances that you could actually do the PW in the fastest recorded time ever.

Have you never thought of doing that? Not talking about the Spine race where the endurance through pitiful weather is quite different to your type of walking, just an attempt at the PW FRT.

JB... I wonder if you have taken my time of 6hrs 15mins for 26.2miles and multiplied it by a little over 10 to come up with a record time for 268miles? By a similar reckoning, perhaps the world marathon record time could be halved if attempted by a 100m sprinter? 

But in any case, at the ripe old age of 68, I like to put my feet up in the evenings and watch lots of telly before sleeping in my own comfy bed. I'll leave the PW to younger, fitter people...  ;)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 12:21:56, 10/11/20 »
But to return to Snowdon.  :)

I had a treadmill morning this morning. I was inspired by all this talk of walking up Snowdon so I plotted a route to the summit on the Pyg Track from Pen-y-pass  and did a virtual ascent. I chose the Pyg Track because it involves the least elevation gain - just 2372ft - and because we ascended Snowdon for real a couple of years ago via the Rhyd-Ddu Path and I wanted to 'see' the other side of the mountain.

Sadly, our current treadmill (soon to be replaced) has a maximum elevation of 12% so the ascent was only 1419ft. At 3.25 miles though, the distance was identical and Google Street View worked flawlessly, which meant I gained a pretty good idea of what the Pyg Track is like (mostly nicely paved!). I set myself a minimum speed of 3.2mph and did the climb in a fairly meaningless 59mins.

All good lockdown fun!  ;)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 13:57:45, 10/11/20 »
WD the FRT is just under 62 hours so yes, it is in reach for you to beat it. FRT is approx 4.3mph,  you are in the ballpark at 4.2 mph, for the marathon, which was slower than some of your other walks.

You can do it. You know you can.
« Last Edit: 16:27:27, 10/11/20 by jimbob »

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 15:35:26, 10/11/20 »
WD the FRT is just under 52 hours so yes, it is in reach for you to beat it. FRT is approx 4.3mph,  you are in the ballpark at 4.2 mph, for the marathon, which was slower than some of your other walks.

You can do it. You know you can.

How much elevation is there and how perfectly formed is the surface.

4+ mph is a doddle on a flattish pavement all day long, for most fit walkers.  Add some steep slopes, scree and peat bog and suddenly you need to jog the flatter sections to even average 3mph. The effort, food and drink required also go up accordingly.  :)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 16:02:55, 10/11/20 »
OK BusyG, maybe the Vintage Walkers FRT then. ;D
Maybe even on the treadmill?
 ;D

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 16:07:33, 10/11/20 »
But to return to Snowdon.  :)

I had a treadmill morning this morning. I was inspired by all this talk of walking up Snowdon so I plotted a route to the summit on the Pyg Track from Pen-y-pass  and did a virtual ascent. I chose the Pyg Track because it involves the least elevation gain - just 2372ft - and because we ascended Snowdon for real a couple of years ago via the Rhyd-Ddu Path and I wanted to 'see' the other side of the mountain.

Sadly, our current treadmill (soon to be replaced) has a maximum elevation of 12% so the ascent was only 1419ft. At 3.25 miles though, the distance was identical and Google Street View worked flawlessly, which meant I gained a pretty good idea of what the Pyg Track is like (mostly nicely paved!). I set myself a minimum speed of 3.2mph and did the climb in a fairly meaningless 59mins.

All good lockdown fun!  ;)
Technical treadmill question.  When you set the gradient on a treadmill you are in effect walking on the spot on a sloping surface.  This means your bodyweight alone is driving the belt downhill and in addition you are not physically raising your weight as you would on a static surface so, in theory, aren't you doing less work than you would on the equivalent physical climb? 
Solvitur Ambulando

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 16:36:28, 10/11/20 »
Technical treadmill question.  When you set the gradient on a treadmill you are in effect walking on the spot on a sloping surface.  This means your bodyweight alone is driving the belt downhill and in addition you are not physically raising your weight as you would on a static surface so, in theory, aren't you doing less work than you would on the equivalent physical climb?

Great question. If only we had an expert on treadmills to hand!  :)

You say that bodyweight drives the belt downhill. However, on an incline, the motor that drives the belt pushes the user downhill. The user steps forward and up and lifts themself relative to where the belt was - and the process is repeated. The greater the incline, the greater the effort needed.

But whether or not that makes sense, anecdotal experience tells me that walking or running up an incline on a treadmill is every bit as demanding as walking or running up the same slope outdoors.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 20:00:41, 12/11/20 »
This has been a short but interesting thread.  We have the OP to thank for it's existence.  But I do wonder some times why people post such specific questions straight to a new forum and then don't respond to the replies. If your out there a in the shadows reading OP then I'm sure I am not alone in wishing too know your thoughts.
« Last Edit: 20:11:39, 12/11/20 by BuzyG »

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 20:33:42, 12/11/20 »
This has been a short but interesting thread.  We have the OP to thank for it's existence.  But I do wonder some times why people post such specific questions straight to a new forum and then don't respond to the replies. If your out there a in the shadows reading OP then I'm sure I am not alone in wishing too know your thoughts.

There have been a number lately. I'm not referring to the recent spammers / trolls / idiots who have rightly been booted out, but those who've posted interesting stuff about themselves in the Welcome board and then disappeared after 3 posts or so. Let's hope they are at least still reading the forum, but it would be nice if they continued contributing.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 21:31:35, 12/11/20 »

what’s a very fast time waking up Snowdon

Perhaps its best to ask his former butler as the gentleman in question died in 2017.I suppose when he was alive a very fast time would depend on how much he had to drink the night before.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy