Author Topic: TR - Cwm Glas Mawr, Crib Goch, Garnedd Ugain, and the Cwm Glas Ridge  (Read 3139 times)

harry_keogh

Did this walk last Friday with my walking buddy who'd never done a long sustained scramble before. Quite an exhilarating day for her, especially as we were up against 35 - 40mph winds on top. She did well, although I couldn't resist teasing her in my write up. We started in Llanberis Pass and made our way up to Cwm Uchaf via Cwm Glas Mawr. We then tackled Crib Goch's north ridge, Crib Goch itself, and Crib-y-Ddysgl before descending via the Cwm Glas Ridge.

Full trip report: Crib Coch and the Cwm Glas Ridge

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
A cracking walk and some great photos there - but I do think that you are being a bit mean about your climbing buddy!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

harry_keogh

A cracking walk and some great photos there - but I do think that you are being a bit mean about your climbing buddy!
I was a bit :)
She took it all in good humour - I did let her have a read before publishing, and told her I'm happy to remove anything she doesn't like in case I went too far. She was happy enough with it all though and gave me the go ahead. She's even shared it on her facebook!

harry_keogh

I will add that I wasn't mean at all during the walk - I was the perfect guide, even if I say so myself. I just thought I'd tease her a bit in the write up :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Nothing wrong with a bit of banter!  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
It is good to see and read about that part of the world again. I am not surprised your companion found some bits difficult.my first experience of scrambling was the Snowdon Horseshoe and I found that very intimidating. I have also descended via Crib Goch and the North Ridge, which is a bit exposed at the top. We kept to to the top of the ridge, but your picture shows being on the face. I found Cwm Glas Mawr and Cwm Uchaf to be an amazing place. I also had the pleasure of climbing / scrambling on the Parson’s Nose, but didn’t go all the way up Clogwyn Y Person. We never saw anyone else in the Cwms, but it may be busier nowadays.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
Looks fantastic - and I think your friend is very brave. I would love to do be able to do that route but I'm not sure I could.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
That’s a great report.

I need to do that side of the mountain - there appear to be a few variations of that route involving the N/NE side. In good visibility, it looks fantastic. I imagine in the mist, it’s possible to get onto tricky ground if you’re not familiar with the paths.

I also quite fancy trying a route on the SE side. Apparently you can come down eastwards off Lliwedd and meet up with a path that takes you back to the Watkin.

harry_keogh

It is good to see and read about that part of the world again. I am not surprised your companion found some bits difficult.my first experience of scrambling was the Snowdon Horseshoe and I found that very intimidating. I have also descended via Crib Goch and the North Ridge, which is a bit exposed at the top. We kept to to the top of the ridge, but your picture shows being on the face. I found Cwm Glas Mawr and Cwm Uchaf to be an amazing place. I also had the pleasure of climbing / scrambling on the Parson’s Nose, but didn’t go all the way up Clogwyn Y Person. We never saw anyone else in the Cwms, but it may be busier nowadays.
I'm the opposite - I missed the Parsons Nose but I've done the rest of the Clogwyn Y Person arete. Wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expected and I felt quite comfortable on it despite not being great with exposure. Yeah, she kept to the face where possible - she felt more confident there due to the high winds. It's the first time I've done the north ridge since I descended it a few years back whilst doing the Welsh 3000s

harry_keogh

I need to do that side of the mountain - there appear to be a few variations of that route involving the N/NE side. In good visibility, it looks fantastic. I imagine in the mist, it’s possible to get onto tricky ground if you’re not familiar with the paths.
It's possible to take a more direct line to the north ridge from Cwm Glas Mawr but I tried to keep it simple initially and followed the main path. I was also in two minds about whether to do the little grade 1 scramble to the right of the waterfall at the end of Cwm Glas Mawr. I didn't want to leave my walking buddy alone on unfamiliar territory though so I went up the horrible scree path instead - I'll do the scramble the next time.  You're right though about the mist - it can make that area very disorientating and would be probably quite dangerous to be wandering around lost in it.

redeye

• Veteran Member
Nice O0  Enjoyed reading that and one I want to do. I've looked at it a couple of times but things get in the way sometimes. The North ridge is my favourite way up to crib goch but I usually start from PYP and go straight up the horns and round to the north ridge. Good reading on your site, nice one  O0

henryb

• Veteran Member
Amazing photos O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy