Author Topic: Definitive Map question  (Read 1081 times)

LJR69

Definitive Map question
« on: 15:03:36, 14/11/20 »
Hello - sorry, new to all this hiking. You must all be sick of the people who started doing it in the first lockdown :)

My wife and I was out walking last week and we had planned some trails using AllTrails. Everything was fine until we got to one of the trails, which had a locked gate across it and a sign saying (in bold red) "Private Farm Land. No Right to Roam" - we didn't go down the trail instead I decided to check it when I got home.

I found online the Definitive Map for my area (West Berkshire) and in it I can clearly see the trail marked as a PRoW footpath (name: That/16/1). I also see there's a PRoW infrastructure label at the start of it but have no idea what the code means (Infratype 17). My question is, if the trail shows on the 'Definitive' Map doesn't that mean it's a registered PRoW? How can I found out for certain?

Thanks

Andies

• Veteran Member
Re: Definitive Map question
« Reply #1 on: 15:39:15, 14/11/20 »
If it's on the definitive map held by your county council you should be able to walk it. If there are signs or obstructions stopping you doing this then report them to that Council's ROW department. If it's anything like Suffolk's there will be an online facility to do this. Hope this helps.

LJR69

« Reply #2 on: 15:44:38, 14/11/20 »
Thanks. That's what I thought. I have emailed it to the Senior PRoW officer as their 'online reporting form' leads to an 404 page.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:34:43, 14/11/20 »
I found the West Berkshire map and it's not very user friendly!

I did manage to locate the PRoW in question though. Interestingly, Google Street View on Lawrences Lane shows what appears to be a post with a missing footpath sign that should have pointed to the nearby farm and one end of That/16/1. Personally, I would suspect foul play...  ;)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

LJR69

« Reply #4 on: 17:55:03, 14/11/20 »
I found the West Berkshire map and it's not very user friendly!
lol I know right!

I did manage to locate the PRoW in question though. Interestingly, Google Street View on Lawrences Lane shows what appears to be a post with a missing footpath sign that should have pointed to the nearby farm and one end of That/16/1. Personally, I would suspect foul play...  ;)

Slightly confused - Lawrences Lane is on the other side of Thatcham. The 'That/16/1' is up near Greenham Common along Crookham Common Road. But good idea to check Google Street View. I see the Public Footpath sign and if you pan to the right where the lane should start you can see the closed gate with the sign on it.

Yeah, some foul play here. I'm going to get to the bottom of it because that lane would allow a lovely walk down to the bank of the River Enborne and allow you to follow the river along to Bishops Green woodland. A really nice walk.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:28:50, 14/11/20 »
This is a very interesting - and concerning - thread you've started, LJR69.
I hope you get some response from the PRoW department, and I sincerely hope that you'll keep the forum updated with how you get on, instead of disappearing into the ether like some new members do after starting queries.
Being the cynic that I am, I expect they'll make the right noises and then simply bury it in an in tray.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:40:31, 14/11/20 »
...Slightly confused - Lawrences Lane is on the other side of Thatcham. The 'That/16/1' is up near Greenham Common along Crookham Common Road. But good idea to check Google Street View. I see the Public Footpath sign and if you pan to the right where the lane should start you can see the closed gate with the sign on it.
Yeah, some foul play here. I'm going to get to the bottom of it because that lane would allow a lovely walk down to the bank of the River Enborne and allow you to follow the river along to Bishops Green woodland. A really nice walk.

I stand corrected - I was looking at That/6/1. It was the forward slash before the 6 that confused me.  :-[

Yes, I can see the closed gate on Street View. The other end of the path at Mill Green looks clear though. Having said that, the image is more than 9 years old...
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

LJR69

« Reply #7 on: 18:47:42, 14/11/20 »
I stand corrected - I was looking at That/6/1. It was the forward slash before the 6 that confused me.  :-[

Yes, I can see the closed gate on Street View. The other end of the path at Mill Green looks clear though. Having said that, the image is more than 9 years old...

That reminds me. When I check the trail info on the DM it says it was last checked in 2014! Is there a possibility that if they have managed to keep people off that land for the last few years that they can now reclaim it as private land only?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:52:50, 14/11/20 »
I assume you are looking at the N end of THAT/16/1?   On GE there is a footpath sign pointing across the road to a choice of 3 gateways!  The Definitive Map implies that the FP goes through the middle gate into the grounds of Beech Tree Cottage and thence into the grounds of Castle Cottage before joining the track that starts at the left hand gate.  Have I got this right?
There is some crude evidence on the DM that a path way have existed there before the houses were built.  The OS map indicates a fenced footpath running by the two properties immediately adjacent to the track to the E.  It is possible the FP actually runs along this track just to the E of the 2 properties.  Did you try to go that way?
Edit:  On re-examining the aerial view, I could persuade myself there is an FP that goes through the middle gate then passes along the E boundary of Castle Cottage.

« Last Edit: 19:57:22, 14/11/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

LJR69

« Reply #9 on: 20:49:10, 14/11/20 »
I assume you are looking at the N end of THAT/16/1?   On GE there is a footpath sign pointing across the road to a choice of 3 gateways!  The Definitive Map implies that the FP goes through the middle gate into the grounds of Beech Tree Cottage and thence into the grounds of Castle Cottage before joining the track that starts at the left hand gate.  Have I got this right?
There is some crude evidence on the DM that a path way have existed there before the houses were built.  The OS map indicates a fenced footpath running by the two properties immediately adjacent to the track to the E.  It is possible the FP actually runs along this track just to the E of the 2 properties.  Did you try to go that way?
Edit:  On re-examining the aerial view, I could persuade myself there is an FP that goes through the middle gate then passes along the E boundary of Castle Cottage.

Blimey. You know what!? I think you might be right.

I need to go out that way again and take a closer look at the sign and what it's directly opposite. The middle gate did look like a drive way especially with the Letterbox outside of it, but I wonder if that's the path beyond it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:16:40, 14/11/20 »
The alternative is to approach from the S along the track on the ROW to see if the FP leaves the track by the gateway to the S of Castle Cottage.
Solvitur Ambulando

LJR69

« Reply #11 on: 15:53:19, 25/11/20 »
Just to close this out. I did get a response from the Senior Public Rights of Way Officer who thanked me for submitting the issue and copied one of her team asking them to check it out. I have explained that it might be I was looking at the wrong gate as the sign post on the opposite side of the road could perhaps lead to some confusion.

Thanks everyone for chipping in on this issue

Roburite

« Reply #12 on: 15:31:29, 28/11/20 »
NO! don't close this thread. I want to know what happens next.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy