Author Topic: Hatterrall ridge on the Offa`s Dyke path  (Read 2240 times)

GnP

• Veteran Member
Hatterrall ridge on the Offa`s Dyke path
« on: 17:18:29, 27/08/20 »
Hatterall Hill ..Does anyone have experience of this section of the Offa`s Dyke path . It is the highest point ,apparently of all the path , which surprised me as I thought that would be in the northern section of the path . Don`t ask me why though . :)

I walked a small section of the Offa`s Dyke path near Hay Bluff recently and found it a tad underwhelming because of the continuous peat and not great views . It goes on for quite a few miles with very little change . Others might differ in their view of course .

I thought maybe the Hatterall ridge section is better . I am thinking of doing a day walk there and would be interested in first hand experience of this section .
I have walked the western side of the valley from Hatterall ridge, near Llanthony priory and it (imho) was wonderful . I was hoping this section of the Offas Dyke path would be too. :) Thanks .
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Re: Hatterrall ridge on the Offa`s Dyke path
« Reply #1 on: 18:07:32, 27/08/20 »
I was fascinated with the area around Gladestry over 10 years ago. Perhaps it was the name, we had been working our way down from south Shropshire and an invitation to stay with an elderly relative in Bishopstone gave us the opportunity walk that area. Golden Valley and Llanthony Abbey, little did I know that I was right on the doorstep of one, Harry Cotterell, the great authority on country side access, who owns a large chunk of Offa's Dyke in his backyard on Garnons Hill. It is 10 miles away from your glutinous plod and deceptively well within the English border.
We were forced south west across the Wye over Bridge Sollars by the distinctive lack of ways to walk, but I did not make the mistake of expecting Offa's Dyke to lead me into the best of that terrain. It is a lovely area to explore, just take the map and find your own routes, distance and gradient to suit yourself, you cannot go wrong. So many surprises to find, you will see the Offa's Dyke hoards chuntering by on Hay to Kington's fictitious course that really should be the wending, winding bank of the Wye.

We remember with pleasure around Galdestry and beyond.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Warbler

« Reply #2 on: 21:24:54, 27/08/20 »
Last year I walked from Pandy on ODP. It's a long steepish climb to the summit of Hatterall Hil but well worth the effort.

The walk along Hatterall Ridge must be nearly 10 miles long and is a bit "samey", but a very pleasant "samey", with far reaching views in all directions. I really enjoyed that day, even during two brief hailstorms. I found the drop down from Hay Bluff to be a bit cruel on the knees though.

I'm sure you could cobble together a really good circular from Llanthony, taking in Hatterall Hill.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:02:13, 28/08/20 »
Last year I walked from Pandy on ODP. It's a long steepish climb to the summit of Hatterall Hil but well worth the effort.

The walk along Hatterall Ridge must be nearly 10 miles long and is a bit "samey", but a very pleasant "samey", with far reaching views in all directions. I really enjoyed that day, even during two brief hailstorms. I found the drop down from Hay Bluff to be a bit cruel on the knees though.

I'm sure you could cobble together a really good circular from Llanthony, taking in Hatterall Hill.
Thanks Warbler .

It is nice when someone mentions a village or suchlike that I have very easily over looked . So many hamlets and villages I guess , so no surprise there.
I have checked Pandy out and will more than likely plot a walk from there to take in Hatterall Ridge . Even if it is just to say to myself I have been on the highest section of the Offa`s  Dyke path . Thanks .  O0

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:42:05, 28/08/20 »

We were forced south west across the Wye over Bridge Sollars by the distinctive lack of ways to walk, but I did not make the mistake of expecting Offa's Dyke to lead me into the best of that terrain. It is a lovely area to explore, just take the map and find your own routes, distance and gradient to suit yourself, you cannot go wrong. So many surprises to find, you will see the Offa's Dyke hoards chuntering by on Hay to Kington's fictitious course that really should be the wending, winding bank of the Wye.

We remember with pleasure around Galdestry and beyond.
I will check it out . O0
ps . I originally planned to cut off from the ODP and head SE toward Upper Blaen , but could not see hide nor hair of the path as marked on the OS map , so it scuppered my plans entirely . I was half expecting it to either be non-existent or very difficult to walk anyway . I would have then walked North up toward Black Hill . Ahh well next time maybe .

« Last Edit: 13:51:30, 28/08/20 by GinAndPlatonic »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy