Author Topic: Queues on Snowdon!  (Read 4423 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Queues on Snowdon!
« on: 13:10:46, 27/09/20 »
Came across this on the web  - Snowdon this morning  :o

Absolute madness - Irrespective of any issues about Coronavirus, this is not what I go into the mountains for!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Queues on Snowdon!
« Reply #1 on: 14:04:17, 27/09/20 »
Not my idea of fun in the mountains either. On my last visit to Snowdon I was at the summit at 0500 midweek and caught the sunrise over a cloud inversion. We had the summit to ourselves.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:25:04, 27/09/20 »
Not my idea of fun in the mountains either. On my last visit to Snowdon I was at the summit at 0500 midweek and caught the sunrise over a cloud inversion. We had the summit to ourselves.
Perhaps they were they selling loo rolls and flour in the café?

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:08:36, 27/09/20 »
This is total lunacy, queuing patiently, in turn to reach the summit of Snowdon.

I had the summit to myself, on April 3rd this year, a strange event, nobody around.

BrionyB

« Reply #4 on: 16:02:14, 27/09/20 »
I saw a video of an altercation that broke out on the bank holiday when someone supposedly tried to 'jump the queue'. It looked horrible; apparently people were standing in line for an hour to get their summit selfie, no wonder tempers became frayed...  :-\ 

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:09:04, 27/09/20 »
Its easily solved, just pretend your in the final throws of your Welsh 3000s attempt.

Look hot and flustered, shouting with great enthusiasm, constantly looking at your watch, which you have set the stopwatch to run eleven hours earlier.

Run past all these silly Muppet's, and collapse in a heap below the trig point.

Most of them will be in total awe of your achievement, whilst the ones trying to throttle you for having the audacity to jump the queue, will be chastised by the admiring walkers, in the know.

I might even try it, next weekend, just to gauge the reaction of these pilgrims to the lofty summit of Yr Wyddfa.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:00:04, 27/09/20 »
Easily solved by not going right up to the summit! Or, better still, avoiding Snowdon altogether at peak times.

I didn't 'bag' the trig point plinth when I climbed Ben Nevis a few years ago, as there was a short queue - still climbed the mountain as far as I am concerned.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:41:36, 27/09/20 »
I've never felt the driving need to stand on the very summit of anything. Probably its because it's not my only time up on a mountain. It's been years since I bothered with the summit of Yr Wyddfa. I let my groups wander up the last bit if they want, while I stand around and have a bite to eat or whatever.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:36:38, 27/09/20 »
Looks like a nightmare. I was on the summit of Snowdon on Monday at about 9:30. It was fine then, probably about 25 people on the entire summit area (not the cairn) - wouldn’t want to have been there much later. Pen-y-pass car park was full at 7:00.

The Watkin and south ridge were reasonably quiet.

It’s a very busy spot though.

Booga

« Reply #9 on: 13:49:12, 28/09/20 »
It's certainly not what I go to the mountains for either, queueing for an hour to touch the summit isn't my idea of fun. I've been up Snowdon a couple of times and it wasn't this bad. Closest experience I can think of was Langdale Pikes on an August bank holiday which felt like just following a line of people from the car park.
Snowdon is always going to be the obvious easy choice for covid daytrippers/staycationers I guess.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:52:44, 28/09/20 »
Doesn't help that Wales was out-of-bounds for a while as well. There's a lot of pent-up demand for Snowdon. People knock it because of the crowds, but it's a stunning mountain.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:22:01, 28/09/20 »
..but it's a stunning mountain.

Totally agree, and such a variety of routes to the top.

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:26:42, 28/09/20 »
There's been a que every weekend in September and a fight. Nothing new really as most years there's more folk on Snowdon than in the Trafford Centre at the run up to Christmas, especially on a good clear warm weekend. These next few months will show a different story, if we're allowed out O0

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 09:51:16, 29/09/20 »
I would not go up Snowdon again , unless it was mid week and very early.

The first time I walked up with a friend decades ago , we started really early , and it was wonderful to see the sun rising as we got higher , but even in those days I was surprised by how many people were at the top and even more so to see the cafe , which I did not know about .
I have been several times since but the thought of so many people milling around at the top puts me off now .

My daughter would like to go and so the only chance would be when all other children are also off school and that makes it certain there would be crowds .

I see the predicament for many ,  especially if they are working long hours , week in and week out . They say to themselves that one day they will walk Snowdon and touch the summit .....and that is what they do .Why don`t they go somewhere equally lovely albeit not so high .? Its that thing in life isn`t it , where we seek those memories & the bagging right , even if created with many dozens of others at the same time .. :-\

I reckon that some people actually enjoy the crowds too  . Being alone doesn`t do it for them . It is the opposite for me though .  :)
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:32:22, 29/09/20 »
In an alternative universe, where Carnedd Llewelyn was 22m higher and the highest mountain in Wales, would there be a railway from Bethesda to the summit of Llewelyn?

Not wishing to take anything away from Llewellyn, Snowdon is still the more impressive mountain. There’s an amazing selection of ridges, cliffs and cwms, that Llewelyn can’t match in my opinion.

There might be slightly fewer people on Snowdon if it wasn’t the highest, I guess, but it would still be popular.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy