Author Topic: Warning!  (Read 1664 times)

pleb

• Veteran Member
Re: Warning!
« Reply #15 on: 20:17:02, 27/12/20 »
Best I have seen is "trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again."
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 09:22:06, 28/12/20 »
Nice one pleb. A smile to start my day which we all need.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 10:10:39, 28/12/20 »
Pleb's one gives me the opportunity to show the one I saw on a lampost on my local walk yesterday (trip report in preparation), a stark reminder of the times we live in.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 11:43:23, 28/12/20 »

Instant contradiction stolen from Extreme Pedantry on Facebook

As an ex Farmer I find this both offensive and unprofessional, the contradiction is in the wider picture, the grey pole presumably has a waymark indicating a Right of Way, so perhaps the sign should have read Public Right of Way. The Stile is probably the property of the County Council, so the sign despite it's aggressive nature is there to intimidate. Any obstruction of a right of way is a criminal offense, any deviation onto open countryside needs proof of damage to make it an offense, so where in law is it written that there is private land. This an assumption based on the need to have a Right of Way to access parts of the countryside for our leisure, which in turn is assumed to be a trivial pursuit in relation to the activities of a Freeholder of land.

I think the sign is trespassing on public property, is there a risk that I might miss my footing on the stepboard on the far side of the stile, obscured by the sign, having been distracted by the nature of the content of the implied warning.

As an ex NFU office holder, I find this Extreme Pedantry extremely bad taste, bad language in Public Relation terms and likely to cause the image of the producer of food from our countryside damage. My concern would be that a sign writer is marketing these signs, possibly at agricultural shows, which is capturing a sentiment of land ownership over that of the pursuit of good husbandry.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 13:55:58, 28/12/20 »
Would like to join the discussion but can't see the original post picture, only 'Image not found' blue rectangle.
Presumably the problem referred to in another thread?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 14:44:38, 28/12/20 »
As an ex Farmer I find this both offensive and unprofessional, the contradiction is in the wider picture, the grey pole presumably has a waymark indicating a Right of Way, so perhaps the sign should have read Public Right of Way. The Stile is probably the property of the County Council, so the sign despite it's aggressive nature is there to intimidate. Any obstruction of a right of way is a criminal offense, any deviation onto open countryside needs proof of damage to make it an offense, so where in law is it written that there is private land. This an assumption based on the need to have a Right of Way to access parts of the countryside for our leisure, which in turn is assumed to be a trivial pursuit in relation to the activities of a Freeholder of land.

I think the sign is trespassing on public property, is there a risk that I might miss my footing on the stepboard on the far side of the stile, obscured by the sign, having been distracted by the nature of the content of the implied warning.

As an ex NFU office holder, I find this Extreme Pedantry extremely bad taste, bad language in Public Relation terms and likely to cause the image of the producer of food from our countryside damage. My concern would be that a sign writer is marketing these signs, possibly at agricultural shows, which is capturing a sentiment of land ownership over that of the pursuit of good husbandry.

I am sorry BWW in this context being an ex farmer and ex NFU office holder has no relevance. They are your opinions, they don't need any irrelevant quantifying.   

Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 16:00:56, 28/12/20 »
I passed this sign while walking along a lane about a year ago...

It reads:

PRIVATE LAND. KEEP OUT. NO DOG WALKING AND NO WALKERS. VERMIN SHOOTING ALL YEAR ROUND, NIGHT AND DAY. ANYONE CAUGHT DOING DAMAGE TO THESE SIGNS WILL BE ARRESTED. 

And yes, it was on a signposted PRoW footpath, and yes, I reported it.  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy