Author Topic: Lakeland Lockdown  (Read 26062 times)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: Lakeland Lockdown
« Reply #15 on: 15:01:16, 30/03/20 »
Ok then I'll keep the camera in the pocket. ;D

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 15:43:40, 30/03/20 »
I love celandines - a much overlooked flower, in my opinion. Great to see them fully open in the sunshine.

They're alright until you accidentally introduce them into your garden, as I unknowingly did some years ago. Since then they have spread to almost all parts of it, and in my fertile soil they grow as huge plants that swamp everything else in Spring, until they die down at the end of May/start of June. If you try to weed them out the little tubers on the roots easily fall off to grow anew, and I believe they are also spread by wood pigeons who like to eat them.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 15:46:08, 30/03/20 »
When I was poor and a student, I shared a flat in Morecambe in my second year.  We used to sit on the front, look across the bay and wonder what it would be like to be rich and living in Grange.  Now I know - thank you.  You have fulfilled a lifetime's longing.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 16:18:57, 30/03/20 »
When I was poor and a student, I shared a flat in Morecambe in my second year.  We used to sit on the front, look across the bay and wonder what it would be like to be rich and living in Grange.  Now I know - thank you.  You have fulfilled a lifetime's longing.

I now know what it is like to live in Grange, but I doubt that I will ever find out what it is like to be rich and live in Grange.  ;)

PS - the really rich people live in Cartmel - or at least own second homes there....
« Last Edit: 16:23:06, 30/03/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 16:21:27, 30/03/20 »
They're alright until you accidentally introduce them into your garden, as I unknowingly did some years ago. Since then they have spread to almost all parts of it, and in my fertile soil they grow as huge plants that swamp everything else in Spring, until they die down at the end of May/start of June. If you try to weed them out the little tubers on the roots easily fall off to grow anew, and I believe they are also spread by wood pigeons who like to eat them.

I welcomed celandines in Orkney, and I have introduced them into our garden in Grange - a young plant was growing in some gravel that I was clearing, so I saved it.

PS - I also welcome dandelions in my lawn - my keen gardening neighbours have yet to find this out....
« Last Edit: 16:32:42, 30/03/20 by richardh1905 »

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 18:15:54, 30/03/20 »
Lovely pics Richard  O0
Hate will never win

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 18:35:44, 30/03/20 »
Lovely pics Richard.  Really like the sunset shots  :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 19:19:17, 30/03/20 »
Thanks April, Mel.  :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 19:30:59, 30/03/20 »
Day 7 - 30th March

A morning walk through the woods today, with my eldest son and Tess. First up through Yewbarrow Woods to the viewpoint, then eastwards to a minor road, passing a lime kiln. Entering Eggerslack Woods, we followed paths northwards, without too much height gain or loss, to a spring in the limestone, somewhat depleted after the recent dry spell - still plenty for Tess, though. We backtracked towards Grange on a lower path, passing masses of Ramsons (wild garlic) - took a few leaves for culinary purposes. Down to Grange, past the duck pond and along the Prom before returning home. A few people about on the Prom, 3 wearing face masks. 4 miles the total for today.

The lime kiln at the eastern edge of Yewbarrow Woods

The path traverses pleasantly across the hillside through the woods. Delightful walking

Tess drinks her fill from the spring

Oh we do like to stroll along the prom prom prom.....
« Last Edit: 20:12:20, 30/03/20 by richardh1905 »

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 19:36:43, 30/03/20 »
Great pics richard  O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 22:02:18, 30/03/20 »
Love the photo of Tess on the prom     :)    I visited Grange some years ago. Lovely seafront.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 07:58:54, 31/03/20 »
Thanks beefy, Dovegirl.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 08:37:37, 31/03/20 »
More great pictures.

How are you finding home schooling? That looks like history and geography covered for today.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 09:37:59, 31/03/20 »
More great pictures.

Thanks.  :)

How are you finding home schooling? That looks like history and geography covered for today.

Easter holidays. And my eldest who accompanied me is 22! He had just started an apprenticeship the week before the lockdown, so has time on his hands  :( .

...but my 13 year old adapted well to it last week - his school had prepared lots of work, and he roughly followed his existing timetable using on-line resources.
« Last Edit: 09:41:36, 31/03/20 by richardh1905 »

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 09:47:27, 31/03/20 »
Nice route again Richard - Tess looks like she's enjoying lockdown - our two are getting more walks than normal as we each take them out for our permitted exercise!  No more "it's not my turn".

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy