Author Topic: Cuillin Ridge  (Read 5241 times)

M J B

Cuillin Ridge
« on: 22:30:58, 30/03/07 »
Does anyone have any experience of this?

I have the chance to go on an 8 day trip to Skye in June (2 days getting there and back)

The only scrambling i have ever done was up Snowdon on Crib Goch. I understand this is grade one which is easy and to be honest i crapped myself lol This was about 7 years ago and at the time i said never again. But im planning on going back in the next few weeks, so i will see how i get on.

I have only ever been to a climbing wall twice, should i go back a few times before trying the In Pin? (the people i will be at skye with are generally nut cases and know what they are doing climbing)

marmot

Re: Cuillin Ridge
« Reply #1 on: 21:43:09, 07/04/07 »
So you're planning on doing the whole Cuillin ridge in one go?
I've done Crib Goch and quite a lot of the Cuillins (Not In Pin or TD Gap) and, not wanting to put you off some of the stuff up there is way beyond Crib Goch ridge. Crib Goch is great but there's not a great deal of actual scrambling - just the need to handle heights.
Do go though, even if you don't like the hard scrambling there's plenty of easier stuff, the ridges in places are very sharp though.
I think the most terrified I've been was doing Sgurr na h-Uamha (On the end of the ridge after Sgurr nan Gillean) - there's a small vertical pitch with poor holds to get onto the summit ridge which got me scared, especially knowing it was the only way back too (alive anyway). In the photo it's the one in the centre towards the bottom. It doesn't look too bad here, but it was for me!

There's a few Skye pics on my website here too if you're interested:
http://www.lakelandphotographs.co.uk/other_photographs_gallery.htm

In Pin:
http://www.lakelandphotographs.co.uk/sgurr_dearg.htm

M J B

« Reply #2 on: 00:00:52, 08/04/07 »
ah Wenceslas Square - Prague. That brings back some happy memories from my bro's stag doo lol  :o

anyway back on track... holy crap that looks a bit scary stuff.

i will chat to my friends and maybe say to them i will stay at the campsite for a week drinking beer.  ;D

I found this on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--0UrTkOYAI not a bad video

marmot

« Reply #3 on: 15:52:34, 08/04/07 »
Thanks for the link - yes, not a bad video - shame they thought it necessary to film themselves packing their rucksacks for three minutes though etc. etc. - and not show more of the ridge traverse, maybe they chickened most of it?  ;)
Sorry about the photo quality - they seem to have gone awry on uploading - they were poor anyway though - in cloud. The only decent In Pin pics I have are from film only. Thought I'd post them seeing as they missed it out.

M J B

« Reply #4 on: 20:10:27, 09/04/07 »
I thought the In Pin was not as big as that from the pics ive seen! Im not sure i would get away with walking past it, pretending id not seen it hehe.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy