Author Topic: Footspaths lost  (Read 3966 times)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Re: Footspaths lost
« Reply #1 on: 09:53:42, 02/11/20 »
It's one thing seeing it, another have some opinions about it. I have been trying to draw attention to it for the last 20 years, hoping that enough walkers would look at their maps and see how some of these routes could improve their access to their countryside.

I criticize the people who occupy the countryside and have been hiding their 20in per mile maps that have all these lost ways on them, since the 1950's, yet they will not own up to the Corruption of the Definitive Map. Then I get slagged off for calling landowners dishonest. :tickedoff:

Instead of suddenly waking up to it, how many years have been lost collecting evidence to build a cast iron economic and social case to put up against; "you can't walk there because it mine".

Seeemple  ::)
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:05:19, 02/11/20 »
I see that the most lost paths were found in Devon.  I did the top half of the county - feeling smug!
Solvitur Ambulando

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:33:31, 02/11/20 »
I think that Devon was the county that that was expected to have the highest level, when Natural England was doing it's experimental Lostways Project.

Perhaps the county to have the greatest reason to recognition the Corruption of their Definitive Map. By coincidence Devon is the home county of Sarah Slade the CLA's advisor on Public Rights of Way.
BWW

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:14:05, 02/11/20 »
What a surprise! I would have thought that anyone who has taken an interest in ROW must have expected this type of result, and as I have become more involved with matters over the years I have come to understand how the process of establishing the definitive map was marred by incompetence and worse still outright corruption. Will those who are a party to this corruption be brought to account?
I doubt they will be, but armed with this information surely the Ramblers can bring to bear some real influence on policy going forward. Stop the 2026 deadline and put forward a more reasonable system for getting these lost ways on the definitive map, rather than the existing system which seems so biased in favour of landowner interests, with the extremely high demands for evidence to substantiate the claimed route, when all common sense points to that routes historic existence.
The system has been corrupt from the start so why should we carry on with that system, it makes no sense, and certainly wouldn't be acceptable in other areas of society. We need a new body independent of the corrupting influence of local landowning classes who will give us the definitive map we were promised in 1949 O0
It will be interesting to see how this pans out and I really hope that something positive comes of it. I assume the Ramblers have a plan? Their website refers to asking for a five year delay to the 2026 deadline and looking to get "useful" routes added, which of course becomes increasingly judgemental. There is no mentioned of a fundamental revision to the system of getting ROW onto the definitive map :(
On a personal level I note that my county of Suffolk makes it in at number five in the list with 1,918 miles which again is no surprise to me!  ;)
« Last Edit: 12:34:10, 02/11/20 by Andies »

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:18:07, 03/11/20 »
It's a massive increase on the 10% forecast by Natural England, I hope the lack of interest that sets this topic apart from Dog Poo, Fracking and other such topics that will fill pages quickly is not a sign of disinterest that will lose this cause.

A privileged minority has carried out an incredible confidence trick on the British Public. A social amenity that was supposed to award the heirs of the generations, who lost their lives in 2 World Wars the freedom to visit and enjoy the countryside they fought to defend has been deprived of at least 1/3 of that amenity. And the organization that represents that selfish minority have been publicly broadcasting that lostways are an irrelevance.

My county, Shropshire, the largest inland county, may not come high in the list of failing counties, but it is a county that cannot be walked across by a true Corridor of Countryside in any direction because of Lostways. The geography of this failure should be classed as great a stigma those counties that hold the highest awards for dereliction.

Where are the expressions of horror at this outrageous theft, is it lost in the bureaucratic mismanagement of postwar Britain and excusable? IS the key, the efforts that landowners led by the CLA, have gone to cover up the extent of the Corruption of the Definitive Map?
« Last Edit: 09:22:12, 03/11/20 by barewirewalker »
BWW

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:50:29, 03/11/20 »
It's a massive increase on the 10% forecast by Natural England, I hope the lack of interest that sets this topic apart from Dog Poo, Fracking and other such topics that will fill pages quickly is not a sign of disinterest that will lose this cause.

I couldn't agree more. It seems that we few are engaged in our usual discussion on this subject area. I think many hereon have the benefit of areas of access land that means they are not so reliant upon ROW, and are I expect not subject as frequently to the issues I am all to familiar with, and which have consequently fuelled my concern about lost ways. Perhaps I would feel the same if I lived further north  :-\

This all also sits rather to closely with my increasing frustration with: the Ramblers, the counties ROW Department, and more generally other users who I would have expected to be more motivated in this area. If this statistic doesn't wake people up to the problem and result in something positive I fear the cause has for ever lost its way.. :(
« Last Edit: 12:04:17, 03/11/20 by Andies »

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:56:26, 03/11/20 »
Agreed - one thing the the first lockdown highlighted to me was just how little access there is in my area.  We have canal banks and the coastal path - I suspect the latter has so many paths due to its lack of useful purpose in agriculture or development.  Other local paths are limited.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:00:19, 03/11/20 »
Plenty here. We do things properly in Yorkshire.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:07:02, 03/11/20 »
Agreed that's what Mrs A says but then she would do coming from God's own county  O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:14:30, 03/11/20 »
I remember driving across the Pennines on the M62. I could tell when I got to Yorkshire - decent cobbles, none of the namby-pamby tarmac.  They do things properly in Yorkshire.
Solvitur Ambulando

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:20:22, 03/11/20 »

Except North Yorkshire apparently, which comes in 2nd with 2651 miles.  My experience when deviating off the normal C2C path last year would support this - we had a nightmare morning on one occasion with overgrown and blocked paths.

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:23:42, 03/11/20 »
I took another look at the Ramblers website in respect to this, and you can put your post code in to see how many paths have been found in your area. Sadly when you put a Suffolk post code in it says 21 miles rather than 1,918 miles ;D

I had also hoped that when it referred to your area that it might mean something more detailed than for a whole county. It would be interesting to see the details of the lost ways they think they have found, but I assume they will be keeping that information for the chosen few :-\
I would make it public if only to stir up a few landowners :2funny: :2funny:

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:20:41, 04/11/20 »
No comments from the OP. This probably the most important topic that has been posted on this forum in 20 years, because it is at the core of where we are allowed to walk.
Looks to me if it is dying a death before it is even started;

Why? Is it because those local authorities were closest to where it all started or at least near enough. Do we feel so indifferent to flagrant political corruption that so obvious manipulation of an Act of Parliament designed for the good of all has been so badly distorted?

Compare the maps of those part of Yorkshire that Pleb is so self satisfied with and ask yourselves what the Definitive Map in those areas was based on? I'll bet they are a clear representation of the early OS maps the Ramblers have based this exercise on.

Now look at an old map of the area where the author, editor and publisher of the CLA's only policy on access in the last 23 lives. 11 square miles of blank, crammed with lostways. Is this a clear pointer or clue to those responsible for the Corruption of the Definitive Map?

These are not just old shortcuts and redundant ways to work, they could have significant strategic importance not just to the local area or even the county of Hereford, but to the access network of England and Wales.

I wonder what Your Advocate would think of this? He could walk past that bit of Offa's Dyke missed by 10 miles by those, who walk the OD trail thinking it is primarily a Welsh walk.

BWW

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 11:11:53, 04/11/20 »
You make many valid points BWW but railing against the iniquities of the past will not solve the injustices of the present.  What do you see as the way ahead other than putting our full support behind the Ramblers' campaign?  How about a petition to extend or remove the deadline so there is sufficient time and resource to get these lost ways reinstated?
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy